Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Has anyone built an easel out of PVC?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Agnes50

Hi all,
        I just started painting again after many years away and am not quite ready to plunk down $$$ for an easel. It seems like making one out of PVC should be fairly inexpensive and not too difficult. There are some examples here:

https://foamboardflyers.com/2019/07/08/pvc-easel/
        https://pvc-innovation.wonderhowto.com/news/pvc-pipe-easel-self-explanatory-0131213/

Is anybody using a DIY PVC easel, and if so, what are the pros and cons? Is it stable? Any ideas of a good way to make the height adjustable? Any tips would be much appreciated.

bongo

I have not. But if you’re looking for a low-cost alternative to an easel, consider a music stand. I know several artists that started off using them. You might find one on craigs list – you could also find a standard easel for cheap there too.

$27.
            https://www.amazon.com/GLEAM-Sheet-Music-Stand-Carrying/dp/B07D7QN1Z1/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2S5FGS7W6CPAFFPH34YG

$35
            https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Sheet-Music-Stand/dp/B018FCZBMG/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMjUgYW5kICQ0MA%3D%3D-ac_d_pm&keywords=music+stand&pd_rd_i=B018FCZBMG&pd_rd_r=ef457dd3-a04e-4404-9bf7-f0bca05dca2c&pd_rd_w=OV53c&pd_rd_wg=Mzcgx&pf_rd_p=24d053a8-30a1-4822-a2ff-4d1ab2b984fc&pf_rd_r=YFQTW9YJHB5GTANNTMFF&psc=1&qid=1571976263&s=musical-instruments

If you work facing a wall – two screws, two 2″x4″s
            $5
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3iE8QR5t4
            (he starts off the video with “Hey this is me..”)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

Agnes50

Thanks for the suggestions Bongolian. I am trying to get back to bigger canvases (2 to 4 ft), so the music stand option won’t work. And my apartment walls seem to lack any studs, so a wall easel is out. The PVC was the cheapest way I could think of to get something like an h-frame structure. I’d like to know if it’s workable enough to be worth the bother/savings.

La_

google gave me these https://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Easel/ plans … heights and widths can be adjusted to specific needs i’m sure.

la

Agnes50

Thanks — I have design specs for a PVC easel of the right size. I’m looking for opinions from people who have made or used a PVC easel for painting canvases. Love it? Hate it? Does it wobble? Great ideas for making the heights adjustable?

There are so many DIY options and opinions about plein-air easels. But maybe nobody bothers about such things for in the studio, where weight and wind are no concern.

Mike L

I made one for my daughter when she was in elementary school pretty much like the one La linked to.

Pros:

[*]Inexpensive
                              [*]Very easy to cut and assemble
                              [*]Adjustable for angle.
                              [*]Light weight – makes for easy storage and transport

Cons:

[*]Cuts must be exact or it will wobble
                              [*]Light weight – moves around from just pressure of the brush
                              [*]Not adjustable for canvas size
                              [*]Pivot points must be secured or the entire thing collapses at the most inconvenient times
                              [*]Canvas/boards tend to flop off while painting because there is no top support

Daughter did not care for it. I built a larger one for myself and the problems were amplified by the increased size. Easy to build but too problematic for effective or efficient use.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Agnes50

Thanks Mike, that is very helpful. I’m working on making it adjustable and securing the canvas, but hadn’t thought about the pivot points or downside of light weight. And precision isn’t my strong suit! Will have to be careful with the cuts.

contumacious

I have built quite a few varied support systems out of PVC pipe. I find it too flexible, too bulky if you use larger diameter pipe to increase rigidity and too easy to break. I would suggest that you consider wood instead for a DIY easel. I have made several from oak and they worked great and are still in use 40 years later. You could use Alder, Oak, Pine, Basswood or whatever you can get your hands on.

Agnes50

I would prefer to have a wood easel — if nothing else, wood is so much more aesthetically pleasing. But I am not great at woodcraft and was put off by the need for power tools. The PVC was very cheap and easy, so I have an easel nearly done except for the height-adjustment mechanism. It does feel a little flimsy, so when it falls apart on me I will take up your suggestion for the next try….

Jennie

I use a music stand, two actually, they work well for smaller works. Are light, very important for me, and easy to move.

Jennie
                                            "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                                            @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

ntl

Have you considered modifications/attachments/add-ons for a folding ladder?
                                                Then when needed, you can snap off the painting holders to change that light-bulb. google ladder easel for ideas

Agnes50

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The ladder idea especially could have worked well in my space. Being stubborn, I did make an easel out of PVC after modifying some plans I found in a YouTube video. I found a simple way to make the painting height adjustable, and I also have a palette rest that can adjust separately. As one poster said, the easel is very lightweight, so I put some heavy books on the base to keep it from moving while I paint. And a couple of bungee cords hold the base to help keep the whole thing together. It has all worked well through a couple of paintings, and I love being able to move the easel around so easily. So far, so good.

I’m traveling now but will post a photo and plans someday in case anyone else wants to try the cheapo option.

kin3

To make PVC more ridged, put sand in the pipe to give it weight or use sand bags to secure it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.