WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Re: Welcome to Fiber Arts! Please introduce yourself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Queen
Have you ever run across the "You Knit WHAT???" blog? It's not beiing updated anymore, more's the pity, but some of the stuff on it is a total crack-up! http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/

In fact, I'm off to add it to our links!

That's too bad. Hysterical comments. " If yarn were vomit and vomit were yarn." Oiy~ she found some UGLY knit wear out there!

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebluefern
...I also read Yarn Harlot's blog...name escapes me, but it's hilarious too. There are several that are well worth reading-lots of good info and tips in many of them.
Pamela, when you run across these again, please post them to the sticky at the top of the forum on resources, links and stuff...thanks!!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Just added some, but will remember to get those good blog address added soon!
Col. 3:23
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Congratulations Fibre Artists!!! I have cross stitched, knitted, crocheted and *fancy-worked* my entire lfe... I made all my own clothes and the cutest things for my little boys as they were growing up... My favourite machine of all time is my serger... Curtains, tablecoths, cushions... I can't imagine my life without fibres... it IS the *fabric of our lives*!!!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Baton Rouge

I am SO excited to be here. I'm Cassie and I started watching my mom cross-stitch and sew from a very early age. (I always had wonderful handmade costumes for halloween I started cross-stitching soon after, probably around 7 or 8. Since then, I've done cross-stitching, embroidery, knitting and crochet and just now jumping into machine sewing and quilting. I've done a fair amount of fabric dying too. I also like hand-making paper and paper mache sculptures. I can't wait to talk to so many fiber artists. This is absolutely AWESOME!

Thank you so much everyone who helped start this forum!

~Cassie~
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 AM
missuori but wishing for the pacific northwest

Hails from United States

Hi!
My real name is Jeri but the name Mikatana has special meaning for me and that is what I'll go by here.

I am a Fiber Freak. I knit, spin, felt, needle felt, embroider, dye and make art dolls. Yesterday I carded and started spinning 2 lbs of some really gorgeous natural colored Coopworth wool. I, also, make glass beads (lampwork). I like to take on-line classes and regular ole classes. I sometimes teach batiking, needle felting and felt making.

I am hoping that in the next month or so, I will put together my studio in a room that is waiting for drywall right now. I broke my leg in May and just started walking on it last Wednesday...during that time all my cratfing supplies moved up and down the stairs..I have completely taken over the dining room!! It will be a real pleasure to have a home for all my stuff.

O, and I have gone back to school to get my Fine Arts degree and to get a "Multimedia" degree....web design, desktop publishing and CAD.

WhoooHooo a Fiber Forum!!!!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Southern Maine

Hails from United States

Just what I need ... another forum to drool over! Thanks!

My name is Sonje - RN by day, lampworker-glass fuser-jewelry maker-wannabe knitter by night! I have been so inspired by all of the artists on WC! ~ Sonje
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Wow, what a great new forum!

Lots of familiar faces here - Hi Mary and Rose!!!

I'm a guide with the Drawing and Sketching and Classical forums. I've knitted, quilted, embroidered, made jewelry, done papier mache and a ton of other stuff that could be included in this forum for longer than I care to remember.

I've been hoping to get back to some of these things and this might be just the push I need!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Congratulations on the new Fibre Forum.
I was behind the door when God handed out needle skills but I did get a hammer! I use fibres in sculptures and in papermaking as well as collages so I guess I will hop from Mixed Media to here to share in all your wonderful talents. I cannot knit or crochet at all or sew much ( buttons and hems are it) but yes I love fibres and collect them for goodness knows what reason!
I look forward to oohing ahhing at your wonderful works folks.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

I for one would love to see some demo's of all this spinning, weaving, knitting, quilting, etc. that's going on!

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!
My name is Sher, and I crochet, knit and cross stitch. When can we get started posting pictures?

Art is not what you see,
but what you make others see.
-Edgar Degas

Last edited by Sher : 09-25-2007 at 02:51 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 AM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421331
I can't post any pics right now as I am not set up for it, but thought I'd share a link to a design I created for a knitted collar that I posted in Wearables some time back. Feel free to use the pattern for yourself.
I hope to be up and running with the new computer soon so I will be happy to share some knitting know how, WIP's and lots of pics of my projects!
Col. 3:23
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 AM

Hails from Northern Ireland

Hi everyone!
It's nice to see a fiber forum! I am an intermediate/advanced crocheter, newbie knitter, neophyte embroiderer, and decent sewer. Oh, and I've done a little bit of spinning on a hand spindle. I haven't made much fiber-related stuff recently, but once the weather starts turning cold, I get this itch to make blankets and hats and other warm things. And I can't wait to share them all with you!
My artfire
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Diana and Mary : Thanks so much for setting this forum up. It is really great to see it at last

I have dabbled in fibre arts for years ... Mainly patchwork and quilting, knitting and crochet and sewing. I haven't done much recently because I am trying to learn to paint but I'm sure I will get back to it sometime.
I am with VindictiveMuse ... when the darker days start drawing in my thoughts go to lovely materials and gorgeous wools and embroidery silks. They really brighten the winter days.
I look forward to seeing what everyone is making and will drop in often
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
South Florida, Pompano Beach

Hails from United States

Wow, so many in here already!

As I am mostly a lampworker/beader, I also crochet, kumihimo, quilt, lap loom weave, and cross stitch. They are usually few and far between, with many unfinished projects (ah, the life of a crafter/artist/etc). Right now I have a quilt going, a bead crochet, and an unfinished kumihimo that's been sitting on my coffee table for about 3 months!

Back in January my mom quit her 9-5 job and opened a quilting store in Ceredo,WV! She has a 17' long quilting machine and has a ton of fun with it. She's been president of the WV/OH/KY EGA and is involved in several local quilting/stitching guilds. I used to help her with some of the EGA activities.

Oh, and an interesting note... though I do a lot of quilting and sewing, I have no idea how to use a sewing machine. And have never used a sewing pattern (for clothes). I do everything by hand. It's quite time consuming, which could be part of the reason why I have so many unfinished projects. LOL!
"what if this whole crusade's a charade, and behind it all there's a price to be paid, for the blood which we dine, justified in the name of the holy and the divine". -NINE INCH NAILS, The Hand That Feeds-

WetCanvas! Glass quick links: Lobby / Technical / Showcase / Glass Class 101