Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes My New Plein Air Setup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    RandyP

Hi All,

I think someone asked if I would post my new set up that I use when I paint on location. So, here it is for anyone who might be interested. The palette is the Strada MKII and the mast is also from From Strada. The tripod is an inexpensive one I ordered on line, a Dolica Proline I think. The mast attaches to the tripod with a quick release hub. The whole idea when I ordered it was to cut down on weight. I think I probably shed at least a pound with the tripod and another pound or two with the palette. So far it works well, and I can paint on anything up to about 30″ high, so I can work larger if I want. I’m still figuring out packing, etc. and I haven’t figured out how to eliminate using my fold up wagon yet, but I think I could if I had to.

Thanks for looking.

oldnmartist

That palette is cool. Looks like a glass insert? I am always impressed by the brave plein air painters!

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Dorrart

Setup looks good Randy. I just have a fold up French style box easel that I caught on sale I haven’t even used yet. I used to use an aluminum extension easel with a top clamp and held my palette.

Painting on the easel looks really good.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

kentiessen

Excellent Randy! I will be adding something along those lines someday- super light I’m sure.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                    Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Ohiohawk97

Very nice setup! I like that you can fit larger panels on that with stability.

Wes

It looks like it is the same size as their original one, which my wife has. She is able put everything except the tripod in a Kelty Redwing pack. She just carry’s the tripod. She has been using it for several years now and still likes it. If it is at all like her’s, then it’s built like a tank. Very solid.

The mast on this setup looks like it will hold a larger canvas than what the original.

Thick skinned and sometimes thick headed, C&C always welcome - Mike

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site

It is always a thrill to get new painting equipment, especially for plein air. I see that you are already using it. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Reed Jones

Thanks for posting this, Randy! I’m trying to figure out a pochade box option for my easel. That’s why I was keen to see your set-up. My easel is really big and heavy and a slow set-up, but it very stable in wind.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

Dcam
                                RandyP

Thanks, oldnmartist! The palette is Plexiglas instead of glass. It has a very light gray tint to it. I would’ve preferred it a tad darker, but I’m getting used to it. :)

Thanks, David! When I started I used a French Easel. I like the design, but it got a little hard to carry any distance when it was loaded with paints, etc. Still, it’s nice when you can stick pretty much everything you need, except a roll of paper towels, in the drawer. :)

Thanks, Ken! It’s definitely a lot lighter than my EasyL!:)

Thank, Wes! It’s surprisingly stable! I painted yesterday and it was too windy to use a shade umbrella, but there were no instances I thought the wind would take my set up over. :)

Thanks, Mike! Sounds like hers is very similar. I stuff all my stuff in a Kelty Redwing Fifty. I carry the palette and the mast and I use some of the straps on the backpack to hold the tripod in place. The palette will fit in the backpack, but it has to be scraped clean, otherwise all of the paint slides to one end. That may change once it’s been used more and the palette’s been scraped up a bit. :)

Thanks, Gary! I’ve used it several times already! It does it’s job well! I’m very happy with it. :)

Thanks, Reed! I’m very happy with this setup, so far. It still takes a bit to set up, but any time you’re carrying gear in a backpack, it takes a bit to set up, just because you have to unpack it all. Getting the palette on the tripod legs and the mast attached to the head is very quick, however. One thing I’ll note — the mast is two pieces held together by two wing nuts. If you go small, there is the option of using only one piece of the mast. I’ve used it for an 8×10″ and still used the whole thing because it’s easier than going through taking it apart. Also, this is not the tripod Strada sells. It was one recommended by the place I was going to originally buy from. It’s a much cheaper tripod than the Strada one, but it works well so far. The telescoping tube that runs through the center of the tripod on which the ball head is attached, has a hook on the bottom that if it gets really windy, you can hang your backpack from it to help weigh it down. I haven’t needed to do that. :)

Thanks, Derek! :)

Randy

McHull

Nice set up Randy!
                                        I‘m currently using a 9×12 guerrilla box and it is on the heavy side.
                                        I’ve been looking at strada and trying to decide what size. I’m leaning towards their micro plus for its compactness.

Enjoy breaking it in!

Matt

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
                                        Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. -Pablo Picasso

Reddyman

Randy…. this looks super and I like that it will handle what appears to be a decent size canvas or panel. Based on the span of the tripod it appears very sturdy and lots of space in the tray area.
                                            Very nice indeed.
                                            John

Arnie

Looks very sturdy and professional Randy. All the best running it in! Your off to a good start with the boats.
                                                I bought a classic French Wooden box easel very cheaply a few years a go with the intention of doing some plein air painting, but its a bit too heavy to carry very far. I’m back doing some oils now, so perhaps i’ll set it up in the garden and have a go!
                                                Arnie

RandyP

Thanks, Matt! I know quite a few people with Strada easels and they seem to be happy with them overall. :)

Thanks, John! It has passed the no wobble test so far. :)

One thing I’ll mention about this set up, if you set up the tripod in the standard way, it will be unstable because all the weight is to the front. The key is to put the back leg on the “wide” setting and leave the other two legs as normal. This acts as a counterbalance to the weight of the palette on the front legs. Works like a charm!

Randy

RandyP

Thanks, Arnie! I say go for it with the French Easel! I’m biased, but I think there’s nothing better than getting outside and painting from life!

I think the the French easel is still one of the best designs around, but they come with a few warts in their practical application. Weight is foremost, because when they’re loaded up they’re heavy! Second is the legs can collapse, which is a real bummer to have happen once you’re up and ready to paint. I’ve seen it happen multiple times, poor folks wind up with turps and paint everywhere, often on their painting! It’s a must to check the legs are good and tight when setting up.

There are carts and bags that help with carrying a French easel. I think Jerry’s and Dick Blick carry wheeled carts that have a large compartment on them that can carry almost all of your stuff and the easel too.

Randy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.