Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone DIY Rotary Paper Cutter – Ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    CarolinaPal

I have discovered that I don’t like tearing or cutting paper very much. I don’t mind doing it if I have a rotary paper cutter where I can quickly line up the paper to cut it to size, but if I have to pull out the ruler and box cutters, or bend the paper this way and that to crease it and then cut it – and do it multiple times, I am not a happy camper. I don’t care too much about a deckled edge, I just want my paper cut to size as fast and easy as possible.

As a result, I have been checking out the rotary cutters. I have a couple of rolls of paper, but the Arches roll I have yet to even open because I dread the process of cutting this paper so much. The paper is about 51″ wide, so to purchase a rotary paper cutter to handle paper this large could cost $700+. For a paper cutter. :confused:

I don’t like the guillotine type cutters, so I won’t consider them. I have used them in the past, and I always ended up without straight paper. I know my limits, and this is definitely one of them.

The paper cutters with the straight bar and and edge that slides across the paper to make the cuts, that works well for me.

I am no stranger to the building supply stores, but I don’t know the inventory as well as many guys (like those of you talking T-tracks and stuff). For the most part, these rotary trimmers don’t appear too complicated. Again, there is a blade that the cutter slides across, and beyond that I would need to make a little gutter below to both guide the edge as well as keep the blade from cutting the surface below. Plus support to hold the bar, grid below, etc.

If I could just figure out what the bar is that the cutter slides across, I could buy the premade blade cartridge part and cobble my own paper cutter together for a fraction of the price. I like the blade options provided by Carl the best, but Dahle is another option, though I am not sure as rugged as the Carl blade. Anyone have any ideas what these bars are called or where to find them?

Here’s the Dahle with a blade cartridge ready to go. If I knew the bar it fits on, I could use it easily enough.
        https://www.dickblick.com/products/dahle-personal-rolling-trimmers/

Additionally, I found the blade cartridge for Carl’s trimmers, which I would prefer, but again, I just don’t know what bar it slides across.
        https://www.carlmfg.com/paper-trimmers/accessories/

Thanks! and – Happy New Year, too! :)

Harold Roth

I have the Dahle type paper cutter, only for 24″. It was not a cheap date. Plus most of the markings are in metric, which sux. It works well otherwise. I almost broke it by cutting two sheets of 140# at once.

In the past I used a 48″ T square and a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. That was okay. The Dahle cutter is better, but it does not measure more than 12″ wide. You have to figure that out and make a mark and then slide the mark under the cutting bar. Which is better than using a T square.

Still, I think it was around $200. Yep, $184.
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SWWKHGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monichetta

Not exactly what you are asking about, but just in case it helps. There are some very sharp deckle-edge metal rulers around in a few brands. So somewhere between the fold-and-refold-then-tear method, and a cutter.

I do quite like a deckle edge, and am willing to do a small amount of measure-and-mark with a pencil before using my deckle ruler. There are ones with finer and coarser edge patterns, that I find suit different sized sheets better.

'Art is an experience, not an object.'
                ~ Robert Motherwell

You might want to consider a Logan Graphic Products 450-1 Artist Elite Mat Cutter. One can be had from Amazon for $169 USD. This model can handle paper up to 40″. I have one for cutting mats and foam core boards, but it would work for cutting watercolour paper.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                blog.jlk.net

briantmeyer

I got a dahl via amazon europe, cost about 100 plus 130 for shipping to the US. Its the size below the largest 72” one, about 4 feet across. My purpose is as a mat cutter to handle the large 48” mats. Think its just over 51”. Seemed like a nutty way to buy it, but it worked- no idea how I found that link as its thru the US site if I remember, you have to dive deep into the listings. ( lot of things are on sale or just lower prices right now )

Note there are two levels of cutter, check how many sheets it can cut, the premium and professional. The premium is 480 on amazon. The professional is about $400. You have to monitor prices and purchase when they dip, they go up and down daily. There is a lower level called personal. Basically the more expensive ones handle thicker stock, and you really only want to do one sheet at a time. I would not even touch the personal level, they are not beefy enough.

The logan is hard to get things square each time.

On the dahl, you have to unscrew the sides and align them to get it square, these don’t come squared to the cut. You will be disappointed if you assume its going to be square out of the box, not even close.

I used a big L shaped carpenters ruler and clamps to fix it. You really have to be handy to get it to work. First unscrew one side, using a block against the cutting edge, push one side of the ruler against this, it goes under the plastic shield, now line up the edges. The trick is to clamp these in place so you nan turn it over, then tighten.

What I did before is used the larger logan ruler, and a large cutting mat. This let me use my logan accessories to cut, the marks on the mat let me line up the paper and ruler properly. You could DIY this and put on a hinge, make your own table. That ruler is probably the best tool I have, as it has rubber non slip bottom, and the same tracks you see in a mat cutter.

I would wait for a 50% off one item coupon at hobby lobby, then buyi the logan 450 there, if that is your solution. But I don’t think it is a full 51”. Its made to handle 48” mat board. You should bd able to get it much cheaper than 168 that way, mine was $99.

You can cut on a big guillotine mat cutter using two strokes, hate doing this, but it works, if you need a square cut out of the box these are the most accurate out of the box as the guide is actually square to the cutting edge. You probably used too small or lightweight, you need a big powerful one and lightly push thr blade tawards the cutting edge as you come down.

Kaylen

I use a mat cutter very similar to the one Claude recommended , It has served me well for many tears, I would recommend that over a paper cutter because you can cur mats with it.It does take up space but can be kept behind a freezer or something..you might check with your local watercolor society and see if someone there would be willing to help..then you could maybe use their equipment ,,,just thinken out loud sorta,,,You also might get the trimmer alone https://www.dickblick.com/items/57130-9000/ and take it to a home depot or the like and find something that fits it?

Kaylen Savoie
                        https://www.savoieartist.com/
                        At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

indraneel

how about aluminum channels, fixed to some plywood with spacers?

CarolinaPal

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. :)

I only plan to cut 1 sheet of paper at a time, so I hope that relieves a few worries. I know many of you mentioned smaller cutters or mat cutters, but I really need one that is at least about 52 inches due to the large roll of paper that is waiting for me to open and use. I have a weird sort of heart issue that makes it difficult for me to stand still for very long, which is why standing to cut or fold paper is more difficult for me than most people. I need a cutter to speed up the process.

I did look at the ones in the UK, Brian, but most say that they don’t ship to the US. I don’t know where you went, but you got a really good deal. :) Most of these cutters plus the shipping cost would be beyond my range even if they shipped.

Frankly, it is straight up annoying how much some of these paper trimmers cost. I could buy a little computer for what it costs to cut paper. :mad: I will have to check out some of the local watercolor groups, as Kaylen mentioned, to see if any of them have large paper cutters. However, that requires not just waiting, but also planning ahead farther than I often like to. I’m a little more spontaneous with my painting most of the time. :)

I did go to Lowe’s and looked for bars similar to what I had seen on these trimmers. I thought I had seen some there in the past, but I didn’t see anything like them this time. However, Indraneel is thinking along the same lines as I am on this because if I can figure out the bar to go across, I would then like to have a little channel below to both help guide the blade as well as keep it from cutting into the table where I would use it.

At Lowe’s, I found some aluminum channels, but the smallest channel was 1/2″ wide. I don’t know what I could do to fill most of it to only leave a small enough gap for the blade to glide through? That is not the only option, however, but it would be nice if they made some with gaps of only 1/8″ or even less.

Now, while I didn’t find the bars that the blade rides along to cut the paper for many of these commercially sold trimmers, I did find some long metal bars that are somewhere between 1/2″-1″ square instead of round. That could work if I could fashion something to go over it that I could then attach a cutting tool to because it would keep the blade from rolling, and keep it stable. It might end up a little crude to look at, but if it saves me hundreds of dollars, that’s fine with me. :)

I guess my question now is where do I go if I need metal cut? The bars I found were pretty long, so I would definitely need to have them cut down. I might also need another item or two cut or welded or something. Not sure where I would go to have any of this work done. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Kaylen

lowes would probably cut it to length for you, ,,,If there are any Metal Building shops around , they have an assortment of bars and metal tubing that they will cut for you , out here in Texas there is one in every town ,,,what state are you in? I have one of those rolls of paper also that I never opened,,,maybe you could attach a cutter to a toy car that only rolls straight,or put the right or the left wheels in the channel? as for welding , I think you would better try some glue , there is metal glue on called liquid nails
                                    They also sell round handheld cutters for quilt makers you could use that with any straight edge

Kaylen Savoie

CarolinaPal

Thank you Kaylen, you are so helpful! :)

I didn’t realize that Lowe’s could cut down those metal bars. That is good information for the future.

I did some googling to find shops that work on metal in the area, and from my results, I think the best key words are ‘metal works’ or ‘metal fabricators’ – but using metal building shop helped me find them. :)

I have a little soldering iron, but it seems I have used it for everything but melting metal. It will be interesting to see if it works on this project, but if it doesn’t, I now have an another option to try to adhere one piece of metal to another. – Liquid Nails. I did not know that there was a glue for metal. Nice. That will make some things much easier! :clap:

As for the handheld rotary cutters against a straight edge . . . you would think that would be easy, wouldn’t you? I have tried, but I can’t seem to keep the blade against the straight edge, and I often let the blade to wander out even when I am trying hard to control it. I do that with my box cutters, too. Well, that or I find I am holding it so close to the straight edge that I am cutting shavings off of my ruler!

The car idea, however, is fun. I like it! If I could find one large enough, maybe I could adhere a rotary blade cutter to the side of one and make it an armored car? :lol: If I could use a couple of straight edges bolted down beside each other, I could create a straight and narrow channel that the armored car could be pushed along to cut the paper. That would prevent me from doing any drunk driving when cutting my paper edges esp while driving a weaponized car. :lol:

I’m glad to hear that I am not the only one with a giant roll of paper just sorta hanging around the house – while I continue to buy sheets of paper because the giant roll is too much to deal with. I am more than a bit annoyed with myself, however, because the roll is 154# paper, which I might prefer to work on if I would just break the thing open! I think the other thing that bothers me about this paper is that I don’t want to deal with the fact it is going to be a pain to flatten the paper out. I have a smaller, shorter roll of 90# Strathmore Mixed Media paper that I have cut into many times. I enjoy using the paper, but it is a pain trying to get the curl out of it so it lays flat, and it is nowhere near the weight of the Arches. Wetting the paper solves the problem pretty quickly, but then I lose some sizing. I like a lot of sizing in my paper, so that is not a good option, either. If it is not one thing it is another . . . :rolleyes:

Oh, and just in case anyone considers the Fiskars 24″ ‘Rotary Cutter and Ruler Combo’ . . . Don’t. I bought one about a year ago for about $35 at Walmart. If it worked well, it could be helpful. Unfortunately, the blade skips all over the place. The cutting it does is so spotty that it is a real pain to try to go back and cut the places it missed especially since I want my edges to be clean and not ragged. When I say ragged, don’t think deckled edge. Deckled edges are lovely. Ragged is rough and ugly. You don’t want that.
                                        https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/crafting-and-sewing/products/rotary-cutters-mats-and-rulers/rotary-cutter-and-ruler-combo-6-x-24-195130-1001

I need to go out of town soon for a bit, so it may be a few weeks before I have a chance to really tinker with this. If I ever get a good working model up and running, I will report back. No way to really tell at this time whether the product of my efforts will leave you all oooing and ahhhing, or more likely, hahahahing, but I don’t mind either way as long as it works! :cool:

Kaylen

if the wandering blade is your issue,,,what about clamping two bars down side by side with just enough gap to fit the blade?

Kaylen Savoie

Kaylen

how about two quarter inch metal tubes bolted glued or welded or taped together at the ends with a washer or a dime as a spacer, the result would be a long flat tube with a gap for a blade, put a piece of cardboard down then the paper ,then lay the bar into position stick the blade into the gap,

Kaylen Savoie

Kaylen
                                                    CarolinaPal

Hi Kaylen, thank you for all the ideas! :)

I kinda like that rotary cutter. It doesn’t seem to hold up well for cutting big cardboard boxes, but I doubt it would have so much trouble with a piece of paper.

However, that said, I still like the idea of a something closer to the cutters where the paper is clamped and the blade follows a little channel. I have a few ideas, I just haven’t had time to fully flesh them out yet since we are getting ready to go on our trip. One part, however, is like you mentioned – two straight edges bolted down with a narrow channel for the blade to travel along. That part it likely the easiest part once I get some holes drilled for the bolts (although I am wondering about drilling through metal. Maybe I’ll need to take those straight edges to a metal shop to have that don?).

It gets a little tricky from there because I want to have a bar come down with the blade. I am thinking that I may be able to do that with some hinges attached to the bar or the support for the bar. Nothing so big as what you’d use on a door, but you get the idea. Anyway, it is all really rough right now until I have time to get back and wander around the hardware store and see what goodies they have to offer that I can cobble together.

I do know that if I create the channel with 2 straight edges for the blade on a board or support where I can get a good measure of the length of the paper, I could clamp down the paper with clips while I’m cutting, and I might not need to bother with a bar for the blade. We will see. I guess I just like the speed and simplicity of cutting paper on those specialty paper trimmers. :)

Thank you again, Kaylen, for all your thoughtful suggestions. They are greatly appreciated! :)

pezk

Go to the sewing/ quilt/fabric store and buy a large rotary cutter. You also need a large(36 in x24) cutting mat and a 24 in ruler. That rotary cutter will cut thru 140lb and under watercolor paper but I’ve never tried 300lb. That might be tough. The blades are replaceable. Works for me and is an easy solution to cutting A full sheet of watercolor paper, esp if you already sew or quilt.

patk
                                                            C/C

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.