WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:17 PM

Question Help! How to clean a new Pittman Field Bag that smells strongly of chemicals

I just got a new Pittman Field Bag that smells strongly of chemicals from Jerry's Artarama. Great closeout price of $19.99. Well made of nylon. But, it has a strong pungent chemical smell. Bag is apparently made by SilverBrush but there are no cleaning instructions.

I doused it in Febreeze and left it open overnight to air out. Still smells bad. The smell is intense not minor.

I am looking for suggestions on how to clean a bag like this to neutralize the odor.

Helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated! Otherwise I'm going to be the loneliest person in painting class in a few weeks. (-
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Help! How to clean a new Pittman Field Bag that smells strongly of chemicals

You can put in the washing machine on cold water. You can add bleach too, but the color of the bag might change - better than smelling bad.

You could also ask/demand a new bag from Jerry's.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 12:11 PM
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Help! How to clean a new Pittman Field Bag that smells strongly of chemicals

I have no experience with that bag. In the past I have had luck washing soft nylon and canvas coolers in sink of cool water with dish soap and 1/2c baking soda. Don't use hot as it can set the odors. Rinse and air dry upside down. since bag is waterproof on inside that is probably the main source of the odor.

Last edited by Mach5 : 02-03-2020 at 12:13 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Might be worth looking into Charcoal Odor Absorbers on Google.
They also had a few hits for DIY odor absorbers which could be feasible for you.

Tim
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

i think i'd hang the open bag, heavily doused inside with dry baking soda, on a clothes line for a couple days.

am guessing tho, do let us know what works!

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 02:09 PM

Smile Re: Help! How to clean a new Pittman Field Bag that smells strongly of chemicals

Thanks for all the suggestions!

What did NOT work: Febreeze, airing it out, Air Boss Charcoal Closet Filters, mild diluted white vinegar spray.

What DID work: Wiping it down with a thin paste of Baking Soda and water inside and out. I ended up doing this twice. The first time I only left it on the bag about 2 minutes. That got rid of 80% of the intense odor. The second time I left it on for at least one hour before rinsing. That got rid of about 95-98% of the odor. The odor is extremely faint now. I plan to leave it hanging up and open for a while. I suspect that leaving the paste on for at least an hour the first time would have worked better.