WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:58 PM

Cool Artists like Karen Margulis

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if any of you know of any artist that has the same painting style as Karen Margulis? By that i mean her technique, how she blocks in the colors etc.I also love her impressionistic style without too much detail and the fact that she really knows how to explain things that even a total beginner would understand.

I only know of Susan Jenkings so far that has the same application and impressionistic style.

I also love Les Darlow paintings but he doesn't offer weekly video demos.

So i'm looking for someone who does offer online video step by step lessons either on Patreon or somewhere else.

Appreciate any help!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 01:24 AM
Montreal

Hails from Canada
Re: Artists like Karen Margulis

Alain Picard makes beautiful impressionistic landscapes and realist portraits, is on Youtube and has great tutorials and demos. Marla Bagetta is also good, she's also on YT.

Ciao!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:33 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

I, too, recommend Alain Picard. Look for his video on edges. Go to youtube and search for "Alain Picard apple," and you will find it. It was an "aha moment" for me. Bethany Fields is also good. Susan Jenkins and Karen Margulis seem to be two of the most prolific on youtube. Another idea would be to go to youtube and search for "Pastel impressionist" .... so much good stuff out there for free these days.... just like the wonderful community here on WetCanvas!!

Good luck!
Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Another artist I sometimes watch on youtube is Colin Bradley. All of these artists are a bit different.... and you pick up something from each of them.

Mike
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

I think Jacob Aguiar’s style is similar to Karen’s, but he doesn’t do videos that I know of. He was thinking about a Patreon group but I asked him at IAPS and he said he is just too busy. I also learn a ton from Alain Picard, two thumbs up! Another I like a lot is Liz Haywood-Sullivan. She has wonderful videos available through Artist Network that were worth the $20.

Sarah Rose
~~~ long time sculptor, short time painter C & C always welcome!
paintings: www.sarahrosepastel.blogspot.com
sculpture: www.rosestudios.blogspot.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Love Margolis, Jenkins, Bagetta, Bethany Fields too. But find Alain Pickard the best for videos. They're all great to learn from.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Love Margolis, Jenkins, Bagetta, Bethany Fields too. But find Alain Pickard the best for videos. They're all great to learn from.