Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Some drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Some drawings from last year. Comments welcome.

Abandoned Pasture
    Graphite on 18” x 24” Strathmore drawing paper
    From WC reference library
    I think the sky could be more defined

Study for painting

Round Bales
    From WC ref. Lib.

Untitled
    From WC photo library

Beautiful work, Boogiechile!

Christel

Thank you Christel
    Patrick

Kiffin

Very well done. Do I detect a hint of Van Gogh!

Steve T. Laws

It’s great stuff subject matter and everything.

Seems like you’re a little shy on some of your darks tho

Kiffin, thank you. I have studied how Van Gogh used line weight and stroke size in his later landscape drawings. In those drawings I think he was using ink with possibly a home made quill. And he wasn’t drawing from photo reference. My effort pales in comparison.

Steve, thanks for commenting. Yeah, the first two are pretty high key. I used a pretty hard pencil.

GibbyDoodle

Hey GibbyD, Thanks for commenting

ntl

Super–all of them. The perspective in the first–the pasture scene appears perfect!

joesurfer

I love them. I like the abandoned pasture and the round bales in particular. These would be very easy to sell in the right market. Maybe some dark’s in the foreground of abandoned pasture To create perspective with value and give it a more finished look. My first thought was it was not finished because of that. The hint of low hanging cumulus clouds would really finish that drawing and the dark’s in the foreground would make it pop. Adding clouds would majorly change your composition though. The reference pic gave you the basics but That is just the bones of a drawing. Not what makes them look really good. Just the opinion of a street artist.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

ntl, thanks. Glad you like the pasture, i enjoyed drawing it.

joesurfer, thank you for the suggestions. I have thought about working on the pasture. The clouds are very faint. I also think defining them better would improve the drawing composition. Darkening some of the foreground would also help. The dark pine tree was not intended to be a point of focus, so some more detail in the foreground would help balance.

joesurfer

ntl, thanks. Glad you like the pasture, i enjoyed drawing it.

joesurfer, thank you for the suggestions. I have thought about working on the pasture. The clouds are very faint. I also think defining them better would improve the drawing composition. Darkening some of the foreground would also help. The dark pine tree was not intended to be a point of focus, so some more detail in the foreground would help balance.

I was thinking those back ground trees need to be developed with dissapearing edge’s. it’s my personal opinion, I could be wrong but I think the value’s in that drawing should be darkest in the foreground and gradually lighten up farther you go into the distance as a basic recipe. If i chose a picture to draw, I usually chose several other pictures for different details I like. For example, use original pic for the barn and basic composition which I often change, a pic for the foreground grass, a pic of clouds I like… I guess it depends on your design intent. If your just having fun and practice then do it the easy way. If I am developing something that I need to impress people with and make them want to give me money for it, I spend a lot of time designing a composition in my head of colors/ values. Creating contrast, perspective, interesting characters etc. Your stuff looks absolutely awesome and my style might be totally different so take all I say with a grain of salt.

I have just been thrown out of the inn where I was staying, naked as a worm. Claude Monet

Skyenorth

Beautiful drawings! each one is special in it’s own way! The castle reminds me of Balmoral castle here in Scotland.

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
                                http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
                                Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
                                Winston Churchill.

Anne58

Lovely drawings, however the perspective in the Tudor house is confusing my brain a bit . . . It appears as though I can see the front ‘wing’s of the house full on, but can also see a fair bit of the side as well. It might be just me :(
                                    Really like the castle and the hay bales

Caroline, thank you. The “castle” is Sage Hall at Cornell University, built in 1875, one of the early buildings on campus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Hall

Anne, thank you. Yeah, that looks odd. It is another building behind the house, a carriage house/barn I think. It is in the ref. Photo. I should have left it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.