Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Removing collage air bubblespockets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PAH

Hi.
        How do you remove the air bubbles/pockets, under a glued sheet of paper?

I pin pricked the pockets and went over with a brayer, but to no avail.

I was wondering if injecting glue into the pocket, and have a pin prick hole near one edge, and then use a brayer. Or cut a slit and slip a small paintbrush with glue into it, and then use a brayer.

I would appreciate any tried solutions?

Cyndi L

If you can’t get it flattened from the top, is there any way that you can go in from underneath? What substrate did you use for your piece?

PAH

Hello Cyndi L.

I use matting off-cuts from picture framing business.

Coming from the back is a good idea of yours. I’ll file that away in my memory bank.

I think a hole through the mat, more than likely would go through the paper sheet and/ or cause a burr.

Just thinking about it now, I will recreate several air pockets with similar materials and then experiment with various ideas. Then report back here with my results.

What do you think?

PAH

Okay. I found something that works. :thumbsup:

The local picture framers told me they use a heat press to melt the PVC glue they used when mounting a picture.

The glue I used was acrylic based medium, which is basically a PVC, so I decided to give it a go with an electric iron.
                    I put the iron on medium setting, placed a cloth between the art work and the iron. I pressed and moved the iron around for about 30 seconds. Took the cloth away and all my air pockets were gone.
                    I already had pin prick holes in my air pockets, so I do not know if this is required or not, but it makes sense.

Cyndi L

That’s GREAT! I’m so glad it worked so easily for you. I almost always iron my pieces when I use acrylic medium to adhere them. It’s a bit of a holdover from using Jonathan Talbot’s method, where you coat all the pieces first and then iron them into place. I feel like I get a smoother and more secure piece that way. Sorry I didn’t think of that yesterday!

But anyway, I would recommend you get parchment paper to sandwich your pieces when you iron them. It doesn’t stick to anything (practically), and it’ll keep your iron clean…and the ironing board. Plus, you can bake cookies on it <3

PAH

That’s GREAT! I’m so glad it worked so easily for you. I almost always iron my pieces when I use acrylic medium to adhere them. It’s a bit of a holdover from using Jonathan Talbot’s method, where you coat all the pieces first and then iron them into place. I feel like I get a smoother and more secure piece that way. Sorry I didn’t think of that yesterday!

But anyway, I would recommend you get parchment paper to sandwich your pieces when you iron them. It doesn’t stick to anything (practically), and it’ll keep your iron clean…and the ironing board. Plus, you can bake cookies on it <3[/QUOTE]
                            Thanks Cyndi, I will try that. :thumbsup:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.