WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 AM

Searching for a surface to mount to my wall to push pin my linen canvas and paint!

Hello guys! Could anyone help me?
I am searching a surface to mount to my wall, that could allow me to attach my linen raw sheet (without stretching on the actual canvas), by push pins, so that is soft and doesnt ruin by time.
I saw cesar santos use a carpet and that is a perfect deal, but i am kinda allergic to dust and dust mites that the carpet could collect (even tho i will use on a wall, and not on the floor), so i dont know how this could affect the actual room hygiene and my healt , since i am particulary clean!

So i tought about cork panels, but i tried to put a sheet of paper on it and start to draw.. Its not the option im searching... I can see that the pencil, got the texture from the under level of the cork so i need something softy!

If anyone has experience with moquette or carpet on the walls, and could share their experience about higyene and if they could be good, i would buy one, and mount it to the wall.. would be awesome!
Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Searching for a surface to mount to my wall to push pin my linen canvas and paint!

You could always vacuum the carpet. Did Ceasar actually paint on the canvas that was attached to the wall-carpet? Or did he just use it for display?

I have a sheet of sound board mounted on the wall that I use to attach Yupo (a type of "plastic" paper") using LARGE push pins. You need ones with a long shaft and a large head - regular push pins don't work. You need the holding power of the larger-type pins.

I question if this would work for canvas, especially larger pieces. Canvas is heavier than Yupo, and Yupo lays flat - no wringles. Canvas would require at least some tension to keep it flat. That's asking a lot from pushpins.
Quote:
So i tought about cork panels, but i tried to put a sheet of paper on it and start to draw.. Its not the option im searching... I can see that the pencil, got the texture from the under level of the cork so i need something softy!

Canvas is heavy enough that you won't see the underlying texture - cork is expensive, and would have to be thick to hold large push-pins for canvas if it would work at all. I wouldn't want anything under the canvas that gives as you paint - would carpet do that?

I would try mounting a sheet of 1/2" plywood to the wall and then use a heavy-duty staple gun to attach the canvas. Whatever you use for mounting - if it's like mine - it's soon going to get splattered with paint - so that has to be something you'd be willing to look at.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM

Last edited by theBongolian : 10-20-2019 at 02:25 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 03:23 PM

Re: Searching for a surface to mount to my wall to push pin my linen canvas and paint!

I use what used to be called kanek (sp?) but I think what is now called
homosote, or homasote.

It's hard to attach to a wall because it's soft, so I have a big piece hanging, using screws and heavy gromments. It's lasted for some 40 years, although I admit I'm now using side 2.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLing
I use what used to be called kanek (sp?) but I think what is now called
homosote, or homasote.
That is the same stuff I use - homasote is the brand name for "soundboard". Mine has been up for a long time. If I remember right I attached it to my sheetrock wall with drywall screws. Never tried pinning canvas to it, but I could see how it might work.

this is my set-up

since I'm painting on panel now, I rest the weight on a cross piece attached to shelf brackets. Tacks keep it from falling forward. If it were carpet I don't think it could withstand all the paint marks.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Thanks all for replyes.
Whats most important for me its the fact that dust and dirt could collect on the carpet, i am allergic to dust.
Anyway i was thinking of doing a wall easel, then with that i have the possibility to buy a large sheet of wood, depth about 3to6 cm, and glue to it a sheet of carpet, so when i would like to clean the carpet, i cant just detach the wood board from the easel and do the clean and reattach. This would work right?
Regarding the fact of cork, i tried to pin a sheet of paper and draw. The texture of the cork is showing too much, but if i try with a carpet, i can see its perfect.
The linen is attached with push pin, you can see cesar process how this work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 03:44 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Homosote panels are best. they come 4x8 at lumber stores.
I have most of my studio lined with the stuff. They take tack, pushpins etc. can be painted.Score and cut with carpet knife, or saw them. Feels like bulletin board material.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 10:34 PM

Nice collection of work, Dcam.

Originally I needed the space only for etchings (pin to dry) but now when I'm not printing I do what you do, put up smaller works-in-progress, to see (hoping) maybe they're actually finished after all.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Lord of the Arts

I made a very inexpensive drying rack for my intaglio and relief prints with a dowel rod and wire coat hangers with clips on the hangers to hold the prints. (I don't like holes in my prints.) It would work for paintings as well. You can hang it in a closet or in the studio.