Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Tortola Bay-WIP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Herm Rediess

Pastels and pastel pencils on white charcoal paper – 18″ x 12″

Started my next painting based on some photos of Tortola Bay in 2013 while we were on a holiday cruise of the Caribbean. A lot of detail so will take a quite a lot of time to finish. Over three dozen boats, which are very small in the photo. Love the many textures with the white clouds, cyan-blue sky, bay of many shades of blue, rocky coastline, green mountains with scattered buildings, variety of boats, magenta Bougainvilleas left front and Agave plants on front right.

Herm

*Deirdre*

Great start Herm…love the sky! The background hills are not too shabby either…well done! Following it with interest.:thumbsup:

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
            [/COLOR] [

What a lovely beginning, Herm. I can’t wait to see where this one goes!

John

Life is but a Dream

water girl

We know you love detail, Herm. I can’t wait for the next stop in your painting.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

This is beautiful, carry on!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                My website https://jocastilloart.com

franglais

Love to see the stages of a painting as it develops! Can’t wait to see the next phase! Beautiful sky and mountains!

Herm Rediess

Update on this painting. Since it has a lot of detail and will take awhile to complete, I may provide one more update before it’s finished. Trying to work left to right and up to down to avoid smearing lower parts with my right hand. Can do the clouds/sky later turning it upside down.

Herm

*Deirdre*

This painting has come on leaps and bounds! I look forward to seeing it finished.

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
                            [/COLOR] [

Herm Rediess

Thank, Deirdre.

It is interesting that I see aspects of the painting when posted that I did not see in the original which suggest changes I should make. i have noticed this before with other paintings.

Herm

Herm Rediess

Pastels and pastel pencils on white charcoal paper – 18″ x 12″

Almost finished. Need to wait for a few days to see what needs rework.

Have really enjoyed the challenge of so many different objects, textures and lighting conditions.

Welcome comments.

Herm

water girl

This painting speaks to me, Herm. I feel the sun, a gentle sea breeze, I hear singing birds and buzzing bees. You’ve hit all the high notes with one.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

franglais

Oh, wow! On this chilly day of winter, what a beautiful warm scene. And it was like watching a photo develop in the darkroom as you shared stages, Herm! It’s beautiful!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.