WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Lake Superior Surf'n turf

Just finishing up my afternoon study, 5"x 7" oil...Lake Superior surf'n turf and sharing a little on process and setup...

the closeup shows my brushwork handling for this, cradling the brush its a discipline of three to four strokes of paint, go and get more, and if you've seen my brushwork exercise on YouTube with the spent tube of Naples Yellow as a subject, or have taken my Alla Prima Bootcamp course with Artist Network University you are familiar with this discipline and aim of the essential and of control.

Note my palette on the stepped back pic as well as how this painting translates stepping back. My palette is orderly, and as typical...I set out with no more than about three values for any color. In cleaning up, I scraped the paint off and set it up on the paint shelf second from left top...and will often use that as a neutral to drive the next painting.

The last painting shows literally how I have been painting now for quite a few years, intentional calculated brushwork, one spot of color next to another. I try to forget the "what" of what I am painting, and squint my eyes...just see shape, color/value and put it down...that is, painting the color of light.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Lake Superior Surf'n turf

sorry...here is that last example of strokes starting out...
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Virginia

Hails from United States

Perfect choice of colors! They really work seamlessly together. I love the way your application technique truly captures the movement of the water, particularly where the sunlight interacts with the surface. Stunning as always, keep ‘em coming!

Also, on the subject of your pallette, I am supremely envious of how well put together it is. Mine is always a disaster caused by mixing colors all over the place 😝

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
― Lao Tzu
http://sarahchappell.daportfolio.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Fantastic Larry. I too am a believer in capturing the essence. Your limited brushstrokes careful placement and lively colour palette never ceases to amaze. Well done!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM

What u squeezed all that into a 5x7?? When I first looked at it I thought it was much larger.

It has that property where if you squint to defocus a little, the liquidity of the water pops right out at you. I just love stuff like this. It's rough and bold yet somehow retains the feel of reality.

Btw I would never have though such earthy greens could be used in the water. Most people would reach for the turquoise and dry brush the bejazus out of it. Good job avoiding the cliche.

Are you considering using it as a sketch for something larger?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Larry, you always have such spectacular brushwork. A wonderful painting. I agree with Raffless and Clotmonet about you capturing the essence and the liquid feeling of the water popping out.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotmonet
What u squeezed all that into a 5x7?? When I first looked at it I thought it was much larger.

It has that property where if you squint to defocus a little, the liquidity of the water pops right out at you. I just love stuff like this. It's rough and bold yet somehow retains the feel of reality.

Btw I would never have though such earthy greens could be used in the water. Most people would reach for the turquoise and dry brush the bejazus out of it. Good job avoiding the cliche.

Are you considering using it as a sketch for something larger?

first, thank you everyone, appreciate the affirming good words for my journey painting...this piece in particular...

to answer your question, Clot...I have now about sixty such small cardstock studies, 80# sealed first with Zinsser Shellac spray...and to be honest, the prolific habit of painting has exceeded my space for storing paintings in linen, larger panel, etc;

I hope to be an outbuilding studio this next summer with a half loft for storing canvases, frames and paintings...

What I am doing is painting these small...using Gamblin nonsolvent gel medium which is a siccative similar to copal I used to use more frequently. These dry to touch within about a week...and a week after, I put them in a plastic bin separated with a sheet of wax coated paper. When I have about 30 stored up I order a black artist's bound portfolio with black paper and plastic protective sleeves. I have one now filled with 44 such smaller oil originals, and its kinda cool walking about with that many oils under one's arm to share.

My first purpose is to paint...as that is how I nurture my heart to remain filled with thanksgiving...a means to celebrate this side of the dirt. Secondary (but also last it seems) has been plans how to share, market, get them out. I seem to lose any pressing need.

Sharing on other social media venues, I have about a dozen of these small studies sold IF and when I should feel it is time to let them go.

I hope to carry them into some larger trustworthy decent galleries sometime in the future (and living in a national forest, that means driving, and finding a gallery with integrity finds itself a challenge). I would like a gallery to see something in my work and agree that if I begin to paint larger paintings from these studies, they would be more than interested to form a partnership.

Otherwise...I have probably about 400 paintings on hand for posterity...

So some understand...I was full time starting in 1979...was ripped off about a quarter million in the late 80s, decided to enter the physical classroom to teach to raise my family, but kept up the painting regimen. I retired from teaching three years ago.

What some may not know...is during the early years I was one of the original staffers of this community, a handful of us and about four forums; then less than 1,000 members and helped create eight forums, moderating them all...and retired about seven or eight years ago to instruct online, paint, travel and teach workshops. When I left, there were about 340,000 artist members. Life has provided an interesting journey and ride...

peace
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Hey Larry, I like your sparkly water.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
Hey Larry, I like your sparkly water.

Thank you
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 PM

The journey never ends. The painting is your present station. That was my Philip K Dick moment by the way

Last edited by Raffless : 12-07-2017 at 07:17 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffless
The journey never ends. The painting is your present station. That was my Philip K Dick moment by the way

Appreciated...I like that