Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting WIP The Way Through

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bardo

WIP, a pass or two left to go. Input is welcome.

kin3

love the mood. and the water.

Joel Eugene

Good dynamic composition. Looks like the warmth of early spring.

What the cloud doeth,The Lord knoweth,
                The cloud knoweth not.
                What the artist doeth,The Lord knoweth;
                Knoweth the artist not?
                Sidney Lanier 1878

Dcam
                    AllisonR

Who ever thought that muddy water could be so lovely! A strong composition, and wonderful use of yellows and blues against the more neutral browns.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                        TomMather

Very, very nice. A simple scene transformed by color and light. Just enough details to capture the scene without becoming overworked. You could stop right there, IMHO.

Bardo

Another pass. I still need to fix the background and settle the trees. Trying not to overwork. Ideas?

Humburger

It is beautiful. It is nice and loose, but with good contrast in values. You could push it more, but it is pretty good where it is. I love the water. :-)

Ginny
                                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                    C & C Welcome

Dcam

Without getting too detailed, you might still add the very delicate branches.
                                        The liner brush is great for that. A lot of these big trees would have some off-shoots.
                                        Dynamite…..and almost done eh?

Bardo

@dcam, yes there are myriad fine branches in the reference. I will try to find the balance on the final pass. I am struggling with the golden background trees. There Is so much depth there and value changes, and also some glorious lighted top branches which I want to capture. Then just a bit more work on the ground plane. Hoping to finish this on Sunday. I’ll post the final. Thanks!

AllisonR

Personally I think you should leave it to be the “gesture of the trees” the main mass if you will, without trying to add every tiny branch and twig. Add the lovely light you are talking about, and values, and anchor the trees more, and leave it at that.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                Bardo

One more short pass after this, to push the gray back up into the gold very carefully. Then try for a bit more top light magic. Input is very welcome!

Really nice, I love that yellow, it really sets the mood.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Most importantly, Your values and colors are working wonderfully. I wouldn’t overwork it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.