WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Looking for Tips!

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks! Sorry it is sideways
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States
Re: Looking for Tips!

I was going to say the first tip might be to turn it 90 degrees, but you already caught that.

The trees are real nice and the snow on the ground is enough to make someone shiver.

Light source has me confused, though. It is above the mountains, but is it in front of them or behind them? Do you think putting one side of each mountain in shadows would help? Maybe even move the light source to the left or right?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM

I do struggle with the mountain shadowing. It's hard for me to figure out where each side of the mountain should face when putting snow on them. I guess I'm not good at figuring out the angles.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Here are some tips. I hope they don't sound to harsh as it appears you are just starting out. In fact, normally for someone just starting out, there should only be one tip, and that is, keep practicing and learn about your materials and how to manipulate them.

But since you asked...

My most important tip is this: work from a photo and not your imagination. If you do that, you might avoid:

Making all your mountains look the same, with straight sides like a pyramid. Most real mountains have more variation and slopes with different angles.

Your sky is very colorful but rather undefined. Is the orange area clouds? Sky? It seems rather an abrupt transition from orange to blue. Again, a real photo will give you information on what a sky does at sunset, what parts turn what color, etc.

Since this seems to be a sunset, the sun would be behind the mountains, thus the fronts of the mountains that we see, would be in shadow. If they are, the white of the snow would not be so light and white. Without meaning to sound too redundant, if you use a photo, you will see what is in the light and what is in shadow. You don't need to go overboard with light and shadow, but it needs to be consistent to make a painting believable.

Again, don't take these comments too hard. It is not easy to paint from the imagination for most painters. And it is not easy to learn oils. So practice and have fun and at some point think about my tips.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM

Not harsh at all! Just the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Silver Spring, MD

This looks like the cool lighting of a night-time scene with a sunset or sunrise in the background. I would think that the orange of the sky should show up in the reflection on the snow covered field (if it was supposed to be water, then it needs to be much darker) and the upper edges of the mountains and trees.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Youre right Bob, thanks for pointing that out! It is supposed to be snow with a small pond on the bottom right.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 PM

I agree with Don, the best thing is to continue practicing and use photos to "prompt" your brain. Don't copy the photo, use it more as a way to remind yourself to observe shapes, light, shadows, etc. Human brains are lazy, you got to prod them.