WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2000, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Post Possible source of wildlife photos.

I thought about africam.com, for photos. Have any of you ever visited africam.com? It is a site with live webcams set up at various watering holes in Africa, and you can right click to capture photos of the animals that wander to the waterholes. Okay, so you have to wait until an animal actually comes by, but often there are herds of zebra, wildebeest, elephants, and many other animals. There are archived photos captured by people around the world. And some of the photos are extremely good shots. To capture a photo from visiting wildlife, I believe you just right-click and save the photo to your hard drive.
Best times to see animals are mid- morning and late afternoon, African time. www.africam.com
THere may be some restrictions for using archived photos, but I'm sure you can use as many as you want of ones to 'take' yourself.
Bev

[This message has been edited by BevL (edited November 16, 2000).]
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2000, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Hi bev, I have seen that site many times..it's amazing..I assume that all the pics there are by pros..and subject to the same copyright restrictions as magazins pics...but the video I am not sure of...pretty fuzzy stuff too.
I had that site as my default browser for months a while back...saw some pretty amazing sites.
I am sure larry will have some goo thoughts on the availability of the ones you keep for paintings.

darrell
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2000, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Hi Darrel
I do know a few people who took part in the daily photo contests, and from what I understand the photos that are displayed are taken by people right online. The Africam staff would then choose the best shots from the hundreds of photos sent in each day by the people who simply right-clicked on the mouse to capture the photos. Some of them were quite clear, but I guess it depends on the time of day and the lighting. Africam probably has rights to any sent in, but maybe us saving some of our own can at least be good for reference. If nothing else we can do all impressionistic paintings to compensate for the fuzziness?