WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Do you paint to music?
Always 33 37.50%
Never 12 13.64%
Sometimes - if the mood strikes 42 47.73%
Only to drown out the sounds of the family whining! 1 1.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Painting to Music - What do you listen to?

This has been fun!

Here's one I don't know if anyone has heard of them or likes them , but my 16 year old son introduced me to a group based out of Portland, Oregon. Where we are. The name of the group is The Decemberists and the name of the album is Cutouts and Castaways.

I really like the second song. I hope this group keeps it together and moves forward. Or maybe they have and I don't know because I am not 16. (har)

Jake
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
Rochester, NY, USA

Hails from United States

I listen to all kinds of music...world music, jazz, classical (particularly "early" music), chant, opera. I'm a singer, but I cannot sing and paint, so I tend to stay away from anything with lyrics (except opera--but one doesn't sing along with Puccini casually while doing something else, lol).

My latest obsession is native American flute played by Marina Raye (www.marinaraye.com). Very meditative and really seems to enhance my concentration.

KimDenise.com
photography
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 AM
the coast in MA

Hails from United States

oooh, I play flute, so I bet I would like that. Thanks for the link. I aften listen to gregorian chants. Very soothing.

Pat
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Houston area

Hails from United States

hi y'all!

I think its been a year since I posted last.....

I listen to sacred choral music, classical music, early music (chant) and other soothing stuff. I see have some company in that department!

Kristen
My Blog
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 AM

Windham Hill artists and that kind of genre is probably my favorite, all instrumental but extreme mood music...like Jim Brickman, Liz Story, George Winston, Alex de Grassi, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring...the list is endless. The music is great. Other similar artists that are awesome Manhiem Steamroller, Azuma..all in the same genre known primarily as 'New Age' and in some cable companies if you have cable tv and have music channels it may be known as 'soundscapes'...I can see someone painting a masterpiece to this music....
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Elgin Il

Hails from United States

Since this thread seems to have evolved into music listening in general I'll include one of my current favorites: David M Bailey. He's just released his 13th cd, Two to See. He produces independently so you have to buy his stuff from this online indie outlet: cdbaby.com. He has alot of good stuff to listen to. I suppose he'd be considered a folk artist but basically it's just his lyrics, voice and guitar playing that matter. BillF
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Can't believe this thread is still going! I could not listen to music when I first started painting because I felt I needed my full concentration on it. Since then, I have started to occasionally listen. We have a small house and DH always has the TV going so I generally only have the music on in my little studio when he is not home. I grew up playing classical piano and ragtime. Tried banjo lessons till my daughter and DH begged me to stop. Listening music is really wide ranged. On Sunday afternoons I listen to a radio music program "Proud to be Irish". On Friday mornings I listen to a radio program called "Tropical Y Mas" Wonderful Latin Music - I adore Cuban and Brazilian, etc. I have CDs of Gloria Estefan, Mana. For oldies R&R I like extremely loud rock & roll - Clapton, Seeger, any folk stuff, Newer and Alternative: U2, REM, Sno Patrol, The Cure. Also Native American - Robbie Robertson, Enigma, I have 3 drumming CDs.... Oh yeah, I also have that Gregorian chant CD!
Barbara
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

Fun thread and interesting to see what everyone likes.

I go from classical to oldies to pop, rock, and even country.

This week it has been Jim, Jimmy, James, and Carly. They make for a great all day jam session. When I am mad at DH it is Christina Aguilera.

I have had a thing for Beethoven since the 6th grade. Glenn Miller rocks too. Tim McGraw is pretty hot and you can't have him without a little Faith.

Donna

(Croce, Buffet, Taylor, Simon)
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi again,

just to say that nowdays I'm a sucker for the song «Just like heaven» by Katie Melua.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I love to paint to the soundtrack of The Merchant of Venice . It really settles me down. I also love the origial soundtrack of 2 Days in the Valley and loved the movie as well. Kind of wacky and off beat. I also play the soundtrack to Peter Fondas 'Easy Rider' when I think of the old days, although it's hard sometimes to paint to. I really like Billy Joel, love the Bee Gees! Like most all rock, blues and todays country.

nana b
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast
Grenaa

Hails from Denmark

I love to paint to U2, Teen years after, The stones, The moody blues, Enya, Brian Adams, some danish artists, The who, Deep purple, and many more.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Granger, Indiana

Hails from United States

I like background music only and Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor and Enya type
music really soft though...I have to be able to think.
Pete

"Old Artists never die... they just vanish into Plein Air." - Peter C. Lavin

"To be an Artist is knowing the value of and with color." -Peter C. Lavin
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 07:02 PM

Hails from United States

I listen to anything that has to do with "rock", punk, and some pop(i,e; Saliva, P.O.D., Jimmy hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, trapt, System of a down, Greenday, Lenny kravitz, taking back sunday, block party, coldplay ,U2, the killers, my chemical romance, fall out boy, cute is what we aim for, etc). When I listen to music while doing art I am usually trying to get quiet and just work (ironic). It doesn't really influence my art that much though.