WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Talking A Painting in the Planning...A Painting of my Darling Daughter ~Ellby~

But before I do Ive been thinking alot about the Wisdom and Progression of Light and just how it affects all these elements and what it is about Light when we paint and I dont take this Lightly as the more I paint from the very things around me the more I wonder why do I have this urge to record such moments in my life , what makes me think I can capture such a thing of beauty as light and there is something mystical about Light , its the moonbeams as they hit us in the dark of Night , its the suns rays we feel on our cheeks the first thing in the morning light as we reach for neverending seas ~well in my case ...but Ive come to see Light as a very rare thing that is not as easy as it looks to portray in something of a painting of say a human or even a still life subject for that matter and I find it alluring in art and not something artists often understand and realize but to paint Light is to be brave , it takes alot of skill and practice and something I intend to bring out more in my art , I felt I started to get a better understanding of light the last still life I created from Life and I want to get that in my Paintings of my daughter or at least try as I progress and I guess with each one as I learn to approch my art with stealth waiting to pounce like the tiger I am when I have all the concepts ready in my head because this is the process for me as I recreate the Life infront of me and put into practice just what it is Im being taught .... heres a small simple look at the nature of Light and how it works , I did this small study one day at school to help me get a better understanding of Light , and how it behaves also how perspective comes into play as with anything we draw or paint from ... we must be true to these elements, its one of my teachers favorite sayings and its becoming mine ..... on most round and cylinder subjects as the light hits it becomes a 3d object to our eyes, Understanding form in this way the 3d way when Light plays onto it is the key to great drawing and Painting without this we cant create what we see and doing this from Life is for the most part the reason we get better at understanding this concept or even say a photo , I do think if your going to work from photos which I dont want to but well I cant really rant about that can I as Ive done in the past but its not a thing that grabs me now and for me working from Life is so much more exciting it makes for a better artist in my understanding and its whats drumed into me at school ... but thats another tin Of worms ,we wont open here Just jumped of my soap box , just make sure they are well lite photes so you can do this to them , I aplogise for the crappy shot of me (and yes thats excess luggage under my eyes from all day drawing at school ) but it shows the light verse dark thing here pretty well and I really upped the contrast on this to make it emphise the light and dark in this , but it gives the idea what we are looking for , the subject needs to be lite pretty well natural or artificial lighting, but either way thats what it takes....

so heres my simple example this was done from life to see how light bounces and gives the idea of what Im trying to get at here, and Im sure theres much bigger better examples on the net or for even that matter on here , but well this is much for my reference as it is to maybe of some help to someone on here and I do hope it is ... Ill post more as it she comes about ... cheers Fab people...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 AM
A Local Legend
San Diego, California

Hails from India
Re: A Painting in the Planning...A Painting of my Darling Daughter ~Ellby~

Hi Sandra, light is very very very important. Indirectly, am saying that I am important No comprendo ?? Well, my name actually means rays, as in "sun's rays". Now, do you see why I became so important all of a sudden ?? If there ain't no rays, there ain't no thing to draw, eh?

Rambling aside, I like what you are doing here. It's the fundamentals that lay foundation to everything else. So, all this , light , shadow , perspective studies you are doing really is essential and one needs to ingrain them in our minds until they become second nature. It really inspires me to do such life studies when I have free time, and one can find a lot of such 5-10 minutes of free time in the midst of all work and do such small still life studies by just looking around. Thanks for sharing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: A Painting in the Planning...A Painting of my Darling Daughter ~Ellby~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirants
Hi Sandra, light is very very very important. Indirectly, am saying that I am important No comprendo ?? Well, my name actually means rays, as in "sun's rays". Now, do you see why I became so important all of a sudden ?? If there ain't no rays, there ain't no thing to draw, eh?

Rambling aside, I like what you are doing here. It's the fundamentals that lay foundation to everything else. So, all this , light , shadow , perspective studies you are doing really is essential and one needs to ingrain them in our minds until they become second nature. It really inspires me to do such life studies when I have free time, and one can find a lot of such 5-10 minutes of free time in the midst of all work and do such small still life studies by just looking around. Thanks for sharing!

Yes you are a Ray of Light to me .....gees Kiran ' Comprendo ' your making me blush here, no wonder I love your Name So much eh!!! ok who would Know you wonderful man .. .. yes Im saying this is very, very important and needs to be ingrained into our brains as you so elegantly said ... and I hope to bring this about more in my work , and I am greatful you find this helpful Kiran ~thankyou for your kindness to me always ...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Hey Miss S-- Good for you with the concept idea. You have proven that over and over.

I get the light knowledge its just seeing it and getting it down.

The one line to me seems to be at right angle to the light, but i dont get the one in middle, can you explain the line-that I was thinking was at right angle to the light.

I want to learn !!!!!!!!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: A Painting in the Planning...A Painting of my Darling Daughter ~Ellby~

Quote:
You have proven that over and over.
Well Miss C .... Firstly , Just to set the record straight --the concept is not mine my dear Lady , as you know its mostly common sense , and this is a foundation thing Im talking here , Ive nothing to prove , I am only sharing here! I guess if you feel that Carol Then I have failed in my attempt even before I have really started . .. these are things that are being taught to me , we all learn at different rates but we all need to learn the basic foundations of drawing and Painting in order for our art to flourish .... I am told and taught , if in doubt then going back to basic understandings are the key , and Light and Dark is a part of that key factor , I know we have had our private misunderstandings in the Past Carol , but I also know you think the world of me, the same as I do of you and you have always been a great support to me and I am very humbled by that, and there is no undertone here , just a Passionate Artist trying her best , I am about Learning , and I am glad you feel I can share this learning with you...it means the world to me ...

of course I dont mind explaining things , just not sure what your getting at it would of course be so much easier for me to show you --do you mean the angle at which the light is placed relative to the objects , on the middle plane it appears to me to be directly sitting in line with the middle surface , so the light source is hitting directly full on , does this make sense to you ? you must understand too I did this at school last year and well it was a small study so if there are small desecration's , I apologize, but for the most part my brain gets this , maybe I am wrong in sharing this example ...back to the drawing board as they say !!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
A Local Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Sandra-- what I meant by concept was the concepts for your paintings, such as the last stillife you did of the flowers with your earler work in background. I love it that you are using a concept and you definatly have shown( proved )that again and again.

This is a very good thing.
opposite-- for instance as in ( not using a concept for an aproach and just starting to paint a subject)

I learned about using having a concept from David Leffel. He speaks of it in his book also.

i use to just start a painting with not having an idea of where I wanted to go with it, Now I try to have the conccept-- in my head before I start the painting.
I know the concept is not your invention - but to me it is very great in our learning process-- to have a concept of our painting before we start it, is good.

The other thing was, In the first and last drawing the line cutting across the form on the right-- seemed to me to be at right angles to the light

I was just some confused with the one in the middle drawing.Im thinking you know something more for me to learn here.

Hey-- Im open for learning and just wanting to understand it.

My words meant only good --- as a compliment to you!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Sandra-- what I meant by concept was the concepts for your paintings, such as the last stillife you did of the flowers with your earler work in background. I love it that you are using a concept and you definatly have shown( proved )that again and again.

This is a very good thing.

oh well I guess Im just making sure we understood one another and I know we do underneath it all ... its so hard to talk on here please dont get me wrong dear Lady ... and Im sure we would have no trouble understanding eachother irl ~one day maybe eh!

Quote:
I learned about using having a concept from David Leffel.

I know you told me once and Im so jealous /and hugely proud that you got the chance to be tutored by one of well in my mind a real living Master Artist, I mean his work is deceptively beautiful and its all in his technique and thought and I see so much in you of that too ...

oh yeah the concept thing about a Painting in my head ~yep I have always felt that regardless , I must see it there first and then it comes to me in a kinda flow ... Ive got full paintings in my head , I just cant race in and paint the thought of it till its ready to become real , its there in my head already painted , just laying like a doorknocker till I fully understand what it is Im trying to express ... and as you know and as most real artist do its certifiably not an easy thing to do ... and like all things I struggle with but i guess thats my torment as a struggling artist , I cant not commit to this its in my blood ... I have a vision of my daughter , and how I want her to appear and Im lucky enough to have the drive and means to paint her as my muse , of course there comes a time when we need to paint lots of different things and I do try , and no doubt she wont want to sit for me for ever ... I mean she can put it on pretty thick when it suits her (Teenagers eh!)., so for all I know I may never paint her again... but there is this next work and its calling me if you like so yes I think a concept is needed for any artist to make a work of art work or at the very least start out with good intentions and do try to with anything I ever paint or draw from ....

Quote:
I was just some confused with the one in the middle drawing.Im thinking you know something more for me to learn here.

yes , I fully understand now and Im so glad to read this , Like I said hate trying to talk like this but Ill give it a shot ... I hope Im not that hard to understand , but I am blonde ok like I said I think if we look at the objects they are all the same in each sequence its the Light source thats only changing here in this , and as with our human subject when we go to paint or draw from them this is showing how much influence the light has on the subject once its moved , and to me its mind boggling how much this a factor in getting right and Im no expert of course but I am finding these things can not be ignored as I said we have to be real to the truth here , for the Light and dark dont lie , Im going to do a really in depth drawing of her first ... cheers....