WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Anyone use these tools?

I am searching for a very small gouge/veiner, 1mm, or even .5mm wide. I have only been able to find two: there's a Pfeil that comes in both sizes, but it is too long for my preference - 9 inches (!!). I also found these Michi Hamono tools on the Baren site. http://www.barenforum.org/mall/products/michi.php
There is a 1mm size gouge. It doesn't say how long the overall tool size is, so I'm wondering if anyone here has used these tools and can tell me the length and how you like them? Or if anyone can point me to any other gouges this wide? The thing is I really prefer shorter tools as they are more comfortable for my hands (and I don't like the mushroom style palm tools).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Saint Johns, Florida (north of St. Augustine)

Hails from United States
Re: Anyone use these tools?

these people have a .03 gouge and say their tools are guaranteed for life, also sharpening for free plus postage. the longer handled tools you mention-you could alter the handle to suit your grip.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/i...prodid=AQ-1007
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Australia and Canada

Hails from Australia

The Michi tools are top of the line and wonderful to use. However I believe you have to submit a minimum order of $100 now to buy through Baren Mall as their very helpful purchaser in Japan is finding it tiresome to track down and post small orders. His prices, including postage, are just a fraction of what you pay for these same tools through an art store so it's worth considering getting two or three tools for $100 than buying one for not much less than that at a local art store. However you would find them at any of the big name printmaking supply stores if you really only want one.

CarolAnn
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 PM

I use both the Pfeil and the two-part japanese blades, and love them both. McClains also stocks the Japanese tools, and offers sharpening services.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 AM

Ya Mcclains sells a variety of tools of different qualities and prices. I bought a long handled tool and just cut it with a simple hand saw and sanded the end for a perfect fit. You can't even tell!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I remembered McClains yesterday and ordered one from them. That's a good tip, Prints Charming, I may have to try that too next time!