WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Narrow brayers

Hi there,

Anyone know who makes narrow brayers, i.e. down to ¼" wide"?

I was checking out the Takach specialty brayers, they seem to be of good quality but are quite pricey.

Last edited by nadsab : 08-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Narrow brayers

Hi, Nabsab... and welcome to the Printmaking forum.

Takach is the only one I'm familiar with for that size. They are pricey but I've had mine for years and it's been worth the money.

What are you planning to roll? Is there any way you can block off an area with paper as you roll so you can use a wider brayer?

Diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2010, 04:21 PM

Hi thanks Diane

Yes I can use acetate for stenciling - I'm trying to do a very narrow two color split fountain - gradient on a cloud formation - trying to get dark red to fade into dark purple over a narrow area and wanted to see if I can do that with a narrow brayer.

I would use a wider brayer for this, but in some areas where purple clouds jut out into red clouds the purple part itself is very long and narrow and curvy, and the gradient curves a lot so I was thinking one way to do it is with narrow brayers.

Is there a better way to accomplish that though?

I suppose I could just brush it in...

Last edited by nadsab : 08-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I've never done a split fountain so am not much help. Hopefully someone who has will come along and make some suggestions.

Brushing on and then rolling over it (to even out the brush strokes) might just be the ticket.

Diane
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM

Ok thanks very much Diane for the advice, I will try out your brush idea, don't know why I never thought of brushing in and rolling over brush marks with a brayer.

I think on the narrow brayers, to save money I'm going to just buy a couple of Speedball 6" brayers, take the rollers off the handles, pound out the steel shaft and take a few narrow slices off one end of the rollers and build a new handle for it. The roller has a plastic insert so my chop saw blade should cut right through the roller like butter. Will save money, the speedball brayers are only about 12 bucks. Only question is how the cut edge of the rubber will come out, hope it is a smooth cut.

I'll tell you how it works out after I try it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 AM

I am about to buy a 1/2 inch brayer from Mcclains. It is a Takach specialty brayer. They make 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" brayers for about 45-50 bucks each. They also sell Japanese 1" brayers, and I am going to get one of those as well. Probably not as nice as the Takach, but about half the price. I think it is the same company that makes the larger Holbein brayers but I could be wrong. They sure look similar. Graphic Chemical also sells narrow brayers. Not sure of the price though.