WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Who are you? I really want to know!!

Wow! I've just been catching up here. So many interesting people and interesting stories! So nice to meet you all! Who's next?

Save
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Toronto ON

Hails from Canada

Hello,

My name is Elisabeth. I'm a graduate student, picking up art again after a long, looooong hiatus (I don't think I've touched any sort of art since junior high). My coloured pencils were in a drawer in my desk and I picked them up and was immediately hooked - I'd forgotten how much fun they are. I've bought more since and I now have far too many (someone should have warned me about their addictive properties!). I went looking for information about working with CP and was delighted to discover that there was a whole community of people out there (here) who mess around with them. I've been lurking for a while as I experiment with my new pencils (I have Prismacolors and Coloursofts - can't decide which I like better) and I have finally decided to take the plunge and introduce myself.

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Elisabeth
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hi,Elisabeth,welcome to the CP forum ! Yes, pencils are addictive, aren`t they ? One never has too many pencils, there`s always a place for a little more of them... I`m glad you found us and jumped in, well done ! Looking forward to seeing your art !
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Toronto ON

Hails from Canada

Thank you, Elen!
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hello, my name is Mike and I'm an artist (I was standing while I typed that ).Not to make light of addiction meetings....
But really, I feel being an artist is in a way, an addiction....at least it is for me. I can't be without art for any length of time without suffering withdrawels, pain and anxiety of some sorts

I have been making art since I was ten years old. I am self-taught and love trying all mediums. It's just so much fun to learn about them all

I joined WC in 2004 (I think) and had been absent due to several shoulder surgeries, a divorce and just life's little obstacles getting in the way. I love it here because there are so many talented artists that are willing to help at the drop of a hat. Generous, knowledgable and just all around good people. I guess that's what being an artist is all about. Afterall, we are considered 'different' than most aren't we?

I was born and raised in Colorado. Where I had spent most of my life as a husband, a father and a painter by trade (all phases). I/we moved to Wisconsin a year ago, and bought a nice little re-modeled farm house on an acre and a half that has a barn/garage with a loft. I soon got busy after moving here and built a studio in the loft of the barn. I love it!!! I can crank up the tunes, look out the windows and watch the birds, wildlife and in the winter the snow falling outside. It's so peacful and beautiful here. On my many trips into town, I get to drive these beautiful contry roads, and see all of the woods, farmland and wildlife! Of course my trips take awhile cause of all the picture taking along the way...there are so many paintings just begging to be done out here.

I am very fortunate in that I have a nice place to do my art and such a supportive better half that allows me the freedom to be an artist. She supports us financially, and I take care of all of the maintenance and domestic needs of the place. Oh, and our three big old furkids just love this place! I am sure that the deer, rabbits, opossums and other critters that frequent the yard are not so happy to see new neighbors though

Anyway, it's good to be here and reveling in all of the great art that is flowing through the veins of Wet Canvas. If I ever need a fix, I can surely find it here!
Mike

"Painting to me is like life...the more colors involved, the more interesting it becomes."
"Where life becomes art"
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

Elisabeth, I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and have taken the plunge to introduce yourself. I look forward to seeing some of your artwork!

Mike, I have already seen some of your drawings, and they are all wonderful! Welcome to the cp forum. I hope to see more of your cp work. It sounds like you have a great place to create!

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

I don't think I ever formally introduced myself, so here it is:

My name is Laura and I'm from Texas. I've always been creative, but have spent most of my life on writing instead of art. I gave up on art when I was a child and have just picked it up again as an adult. It's kind of a sad story, but I lost my confidence as an artist when I was in second grade and I am still struggling to get that confidence back - to re-find my artistic voice. In second grade, I won an art contest. All of the school winners in town were invited to re-create their art on huge pieces of paper to be displayed in town. My Mom took me to the place where we were doing the art and dropped me off. While I was there, all the other kids had people helping them and talking to them and fawning over them. I was by myself and ignored (their parents weren't there, either, it was the organizers doing the fawning). I did my art and left very sad, lonely, and discouraged, thinking I wasn't good enough, that's why I was ignored. Unfortunately, art now had a negative experience tied to it, so I turned exclusively to writing.

After that experience, I stopped art entirely until I was around 32 or so, then I dabbled in acrylics - mainly abstract paintings and watercolors. Now I really am wanting to be the artist I feel inside - like I have felt all along I should be - like an itch I have avoided scratching because it may bleed. Now my focus is on drawing and CP (and watercolors and pen and ink - I love them all!). The biggest obstacle I am facing is getting my confidence as an artist back. I avoid starting a lot of projects because I lack confidence. I am now 40, happily married, with two boys ages 14 and 11. I am lucky enough to be a stay at home Mom, but I do have a degree in political science (had planned at one time to go to law school, I don't know why because I really wanted to be an architect!).

So, that's me in a nutshell. I am here trying to find my voice and my confidence again, trying to get to the point where I can call myself an artist, completely enjoying all the wonderful artwork and artists here!
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter

I avoid starting a lot of projects because I lack confidence.

It's just paper and pencil! If you hate it, throw it away. No one ever has to see it. Really, you need to join in the Sketching from Life thread. Lots of no pressure drawing practice going on there! I was active in art through high school, and then almost nothing til just recently. Now, at 46, I'm getting back into it. You've got a 6 year jump on me!

Save
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Indianapolis IN

Hails from United States

my name is Bethany,I was born and raised in a small town,I have 2 grown children and 4 grandbabies with one on the way in october.I have loved art my whole life.Ive sewn since I was 10 am and make hand dyed totes and basically draw with thread,work with pen and pencil,watercolors,and have started with colored pencils recently,am loving them!Im also enjoying this site its fantastic!!Im learning so much,there are some wonderful artists on here!I will post some pictures when I can and look forward to some helpful advice.
I look forward to getting to know people.
Bethany
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Elisabeth, I started cps pretty much the same way. My son got his own place and left behind .... a box of prismacolors, which I then claimed and haven't looked back! I love cps...welcome!

Hi, Mike, welcome here. Your studio and its setting sound gorgeous!

Peanutbutter, I had a similar thing happen ...when I was in 4th or 5th grade, my piece was a prize winner and they were supposed to display it at a hoitytoity store with all the other prize winners...and they forgot to put mine up! I was soooo embarrassed...here my family was all dressed up and walking around and around, and it wasn't there. But the artist always lurked beneath. I started in art when my "baby" wnt to college.

Yah, just DO IT! My older son who is an artist himself, cured me of that by saying..it's just paper. If you don't like it, throw it out and do it again. And you know what? I've done that. I consider the first, ugly piece to be my "rehearsal".

Bethany, welcome here! I would LOVE to see your bags!! Do you have a site?
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

Ok, now I'm embarassed! I just re-read my post...my younger son is 10, not 11!!!!! I sure don't know where my brain was a couple of days ago!!!

I think I will do the sketching from life. That would be a great way to get me drawing on a regular basis, for sure! And, you're right, it is just paper and it can be tossed if it needs tossing!

Robin - your experience sounds terrible!!! I can't imagine what it would be like to look for your work and not have it there!
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Lincolnshire, UK

Hails from England

Oh OK then, I'll begin...
Born and brought up in London England, married at 16, had 2 sons. STILL with same guy, 38+years married. Became a Granny in March this year, she's wonderful! We're living in rural Lincolnshire, we're old tree-hugging Hippies, I'm Vegetarian and into reading about Paganism and alternatives thought. Gonna grow our Veggies from next year when we re-arrange the Garden. I used to be a competative (VERY) Badminton player. I like using CPs because they're so CLEAN, but also Pastels and have dabbled with Watercolour but just c-a-n-n-o-t get to grips with the medium. I retired early (was 48) because 'they made me an offer I couldn't refuse' and have been VERY happily retired since 2002.

I've recommended WC to so many people, but I think sadly many of them just are not ohfay (prob spelt wrong!)with the internet. I'M totally addicted - PCs powered up 12 hrs/day every day.

SeeYaLater,

xx

Northern Lass
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

peanutbutter, I don't know a 10 year old who wouldn't be tickled to be thought of as 11!
Northern Lass, welcome here! Now you have lots and lots of time to color!
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Just bumpin' up!
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Hertfordshire England

Hails from England

Hi i'm Sue I usually work in watercolour but Hubby bought me a full set of polychromos and i love them not really sure on all the different tecniques yet but having a great time playing. Looking forward to learning and having fun .
Sue