WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Welcome to What's on Your Easel ... November 2019

Welcome to WOYE November 2019...Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils...everyone is welcome!!!

For a more complete critique post in the main forum!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:08 AM

Re: Welcome to What's on Your Easel ... November 2019

Here are the two paintings I just finished for Christmas presents.

Name:  Christmas1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  Christmas2.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  87.1 KB
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Very nicely done jeremy, not easy to get a painting done in that style that actually ends up looking good, those techniques are worth their weight in gold, providing massive versatility.

I finally get to share some art again. Often my clients will not allow me to share images of my work or I am so busy with experiments that I simply feel too tired to photograph and post. That said, here is what I am up to with a recent pet portrait commission:

Drawn out with a colored pencil.

Diluted Casein for my initial block in. I have taken to doing this prior to choosing the final media, this time around I really do desire to work in oils on the portrait so posting it here.

Delofasht
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

My wife and I went for a hike along the lake near our home last weekend, with the leaves just starting to turn. I liked the way this lone sycamore on the lake shore was highlighted against the dark forest shadows in the background. Painted on an 8x10 panel.
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 11:09 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Super sycamore Tom. Excellent painting, I like the transition of the water from choppy and textured up close to smooth and flat in the background, great technique!

Delofasht
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Delo. I had dreaded painting the water in this scene, but it ended up being my favorite part.

Thanks for posting your steps in the dog portrait. Your sketch and first layer are great. I have quit doing sketches on canvas for my oil paintings, partly because the lead sometimes bleeds through and also because I’m lazy. My “sketch” is usually a light wash with ultramarine blue or burnt umber thinned with OMS. I drew for years before I started oil painting, but now I lack the patience for it.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 03:08 PM

After waiting three weeks for the under layer to dry good I put the first layer of glaze on.
I'm not sure if the image is good and I suck at doing hair which makes it less appealing to me right now. I don't have a reference photo to go by for the skin/hair so I'm winging it and to make matters worse I'm not sure what I want it to look like when it's done. I guess, I'm simply trying to make realistic skin without trying to make a photo realistic piece. I've committed to allowing this to just be practice so I'll keep trying ideas that I have seen/learned to see where it goes.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Kevin that's some tough stuff there, skin is tricky. There is a lot to consider and indicating all the muscles in the face appropriately really makes a difference to how believable and real it will appear. Keep going though, the more you do the better you will get at it, I am still doing a lot of practice on those even though I do get paid to do it from time to time. No matter how good I get, I always feel I could be better.

Tom, I love when something that I thought was going to be a pain to do turns out to be fun and relaxing. Like the grass in this piece is turning out to be... I am just enjoying the heck out of it, even though I have no reference for it outside of my mind. I usually just sketch things out in paint when I am working, but I didn't know what final media the client for this piece was going to want, so I did it in colored pencil and showed them the layout.

I am probably half way done or more with this piece now, going to break out the small brushes and super focus the details in the head and chest area then kind of indicate the rest. At a small size like what we see here it looks like it it further along than it really is though, lots of work to do yet, but I am not trying to spend more than 2 more days on it, so I have to really hone in on the details I am trying to ensure read appropriately and let the rest kind of fall out of focus.

Delofasht
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I painted a lot of dog portraits for a while and some of them came out really nice. It largely depends on the quality of the reference photo, as dogs do not sit well for poses. However, one of my best paintings was made from some terrible photos, so I had to be more creative in the composition. Anyway, dogs are fun to paint as they have so much personality.

I really like the looseness of your painting so far and hope you can retain that feel as you further refine it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

I have done more than a few pet portraits, I find them quite enjoyable, but only from reference photos (even compositing them). I do not think I could get a good sketch of a pet from a live model unless it is sleeping or something, pretty sure they move too much the rest of the time.

Definitely going to be trying to retain a lot of the looser work, those seemingly random strokes are actually thought out. Detailed areas will be head and chest, other areas may get a glaze to increase the depth, but will remain largely as they are.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 11-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Kansas City, Missori

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Welcome to What's on Your Easel ... November 2019

Night Light, 11 x 13 inches, oils on panel, 2019.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Nice spider Keith! I like this one a lot, it does seem to glow.

Delofasht
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:28 PM

I completely redid the face tonight and I like the shape and colors now. I think the addition of smaller details will make it look a lot better without doing a lot to the overall face.

ks

Kevin Slaby
2002 Mustang - 902hp
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 03:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

On my easel, just starting today, is an elk. I have just finished one as they are very popular in this area. I posted it on a FB page that has elk in their area and it had over 750 "likes" overnight. Sooo, on to another one. Will probably do a series.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook