WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:51 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: Real Art vs Reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEmmett
to visit a live event is too much trouble and stress…

for a trivial difference

I have listened to Fleetwood Mac and U2 on vinyl and CD.

I finally saw them perform live a couple of years ago.

The stress, trouble and expense were considerable to see the performances, but the difference, to me, was immense.

Admin note: these posts split off from another thread topic

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Music is different. No method of recording, no matter how advanced, can really capture the excitement of a live performance. You gotta be there.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Music is different. No method of recording, no matter how advanced, can really capture the excitement of a live performance. You gotta be there.
So every time you want to listen to music you find a live performance somewhere to go to because recordings just can't match it? How much music would you know even existed if it wasn't for recordings?

Live performances, by comparison, are rare special events. The same with paintings. Trips to the museum are rare special events compared to the other ways you consume art.

So in both cases we're talking about "experiences" not things. You cannot "own" the live performance, you cannot own the art(in most cases). So we find the best recording, the best reproduction available.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Don't be a doofus. I'm not dissing recordings. Just saying that they can't capture a great live performance in full.
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 06-04-2018 at 03:24 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe, it needs to be cleaned. I've heard that Rembrandt's Nightwatch was actually a daytime parade whose colors darkened over time. Remember how dirty and dull the colors of the Sistine Chapel were before they cleaned them? It really depends on when and under what conditions you see a painting in real life.
unquote

Most of this famous paintings are made 400 years ago. I live in Antwerp, we have a lot of the old masters in our musea. Most of them need a cleaning to bring them to life again. Sometimes after restauration in the original colors, the painting looks like a copy, you don't recognise the colours anymore ! Van Goghs paintings are not that old but he was a poor artist and could not effort expensive materials. That is why a lot of the bright colours, especially the yellows, do get dull over time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica
Re: Music: live vs recording

I have seen The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Phil Collins, Prince, Lionel Richie and many more live and there is a staggering difference between that real life experience and a recording.

I found this..

"The bright lights, screaming crowds and pulsating beats that come with attending a concert can actually help you live longer, a new study reports.

According to research conducted by UK music venue O2 and Patrick Fagan, a Goldsmith University lecturer and expert in behavioural science, 20 minutes at a gig “can lead to a 21 per cent increase in [a] feeling of well-being,” reports the study. Comparatively, yoga increases well-being by 10 per cent, and dog-walking by 7 per cent."

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 04:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

concerts used to be great, when the audience could freely mingle, move, dance.
i saw tom petty a couple years ago and burton cummings a couple years before that and yeah, they sounded fab, but i was contained, stuffed in among endless rows of uncomfortably squishy seating and told i wasn't allowed to get up and dance in the isle and hallways - boo. floor ticket space was minuscule. seeing the rolling stones, Years ago, floor ticket space was Vast, exciting and nobody got hurt. live music moves the soul and one must be free to also move ones body.

recordings, i don't prefer the live version, studio mix is always cleaner and a more enjoyable listening experience.

fleetwood mac's coming to alberta, in november, i'm tempted, but torn.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
I have listened to Fleetwood Mac and U2 on vinyl and CD.

I finally saw them perform live a couple of years ago.

The stress, trouble and expense were considerable to see the performances, but the difference, to me, was immense.

I'm sorry, Colin. I think you're just spreading rumours.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
I have seen The Rolling Stones, Elton John, Phil Collins, Prince, Lionel Richie and many more live and there is a staggering difference between that real life experience and a recording.

I found this..

"The bright lights, screaming crowds and pulsating beats that come with attending a concert can actually help you live longer, a new study reports.

According to research conducted by UK music venue O2 and Patrick Fagan, a Goldsmith University lecturer and expert in behavioural science, 20 minutes at a gig “can lead to a 21 per cent increase in [a] feeling of well-being,” reports the study. Comparatively, yoga increases well-being by 10 per cent, and dog-walking by 7 per cent."

Glastonbury is about 15 miles away from here. They don't look fit and healthy at the concerts there. Most times they look wet and spaced out.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Ive seen David Bowie live a couple times, and I also have the dvds for those concerts, the difference is incredible, when you’re re rocking to a song the same as the rest of the audience, it’s like a giant party. No recording can equal that, but at the same time, you can’t put a rock band in your car every time you drive somewhere. Recordings have their uses .
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

I have attented countless live concerts and I have to say that live performances are always better than recordings.
The matter is that this "sport" is expensive and not always easy to achieve. You either have to run after the artists or be stand by to get tickets when they visit your country during a tour or something.

Some of the artists that I have attend their concerts are ( in a non chronological order)
Nick Cave and the Bad Sheeds (multiple times), James Taylor Quartet ( 7 times), AC/DC , Def Leppard and Whitesnake, Gary Moore, Peter Gabriel, Siouxsie Sioux twice in a solo concert and with her band, Ruben Gonzales and Pepecito Reyers ( Cuban pianists), Salif Keita ( in a fantastic beach festival), Madonna ( at the one and only concert that gave in Athens), Diamanda Galas ( twice) Nina Simone, Tito Puentes and David Bowie, and plenty of others that I can't recall right now.
The most memorable though ( perhaps because I was quite young back then ) was the Athens Rock Festival of 1985 which had the following line up:
Telephone, The Stranglers, Depeche Mode, Culture Club, Talk Talk, The Cure, Nina Hagen and The Clash. I don't know how the organizers managed to book all these artists on the same event, ( they haven't manage to arrange something like this again ). Anyway it was one in a life time opportunity to see them all in two continuous days and with one ticket.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
Glastonbury is about 15 miles away from here. They don't look fit and healthy at the concerts there. Most times they look wet and spaced out.

Here it goes the other way round. Most of the festivals are taking place during summer months, usually during July and August when the weather is extremely hot and I can recall plenty of times that the fire service used the water hoses to quench the audience. This isn't of course the case at the beach festivals that became at some point quite popular due to this reason. There you wore your swimsuit and when things started to get really hot you enjoyed the music with a cold beer from the sea "seats".
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
S'true.
You can record a live performance but no matter how good a quality the recording it is, it'll never sound the same as 'you remember' from actually being there.
There's several different factors that can contribute towards causing this, such as the acoustics of the room that the live performance took place in being different to the acoustics of the room that you are listening to a recording of the performance in, but the main factor is that what we hear and what we remember hearing can vary quite a lot, much of this is down to the atmosphere of a live performance, it's just impossible to re-create that feeling of being in the middle of a crowd of cheering people from a recording alone.
Complex light shows and stage sets can make a difference too. They can distract the mind from hearing all sorts of mistakes, such as the occasional bum note that often happen in live performances.

Basically, the difference between listening to a recording and going to a gig is the difference between a purely aural experience and an experience that also involves the other senses of sight, smell (crowds of people smell, it's a fact) touch (because as well as rubbing shoulders with others in a tightly packed venue we can also often 'feel' the sound vibrations at a live performance through our skin) and even taste too, because what we eat and drink at a music venue can all go towards the way we remember the whole experience of a live performance. (which may also lead to a 'wider range' of experiences if you drink too much and/or buy a dodgy burger from the stall outside the venue. )

Another way of looking at it is to say that a recording is (for the most part) a repeatable objective experience while our memory of a live performance is an unrepeatable subjective experience.

Last edited by DavidPriestley : 06-05-2018 at 09:15 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I saw Queen once or twice, Mercury had a powerful voice and he was a showman so they were good concerts. Saw Bocelli in Rome, 2009. Truly amazing.

Saw Annie Lennox some years ago and thought her recordings sound better than her in person. Saw meatloaf once, greats sets and drama.

In general, I enjoy concerts. I rarely listen to recorded music these days unless it's in the car.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2018, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Of course, ticket prices are now absurd. Tickets to the Fillmore East were three bucks.

And for that three bucks, you got--

http://www.fillmore-east.com/showlist.html