WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Immortalized
Rhode Island

Hails from United States
Re: Getting to Know Each Other

Hi ĖI am Bunny from Rhode Island (not an island Ė lots of coastline, though.) Thank you, Chammi for doing this. I think itís a great idea to break the ice.
I was so excited when I found this forum a while ago, but have not posted here, but mainly in the All Media weekend events and just lurked here. Geoff, I can relate to your dear wife Jean.

Like many of you, Iím an animal lover and love painting them. Below is a photo of my Lhasa apso, Buddy.

Penny, I can relate to your not knowing how you got to be 70 Ė I donít know how I got to be 73Ö.!!! Oh what a great thing youíre doing with the therapy dog! I have a dear sister who has Alzheimers. Thank you!

Kay I didnít realize you were a fellow nurse.
I retired from nursing 11 years ago and thatís when I really committed to developing my paintings, started a painting blog and a web site. I always painted my whole life but just didnít have the time to devote to it with family and work. Rebecca, I can relate to having to squeeze it in when time permits. One of the reasons I took an evening watercolor class was just so that one night I would paint.

Barbara, Iím also self- taught but have taken some lessons over the years. That is a beautiful portrait!

A year after starting my blog, an author contacted me to do illustrations for an already pre-approved for publication childrenís book about a little duck and although I had no idea what I was doing, agreed to do it, and have since done 5 childrenís books, the last I authored and illustrated. They were a lot of fun to do, but Iím not crazy about the promotional aspect of it. The first book was called ďWaterFireĒ and is named for an artistic installation we have in our city of Providence that has a very long river leading out to the bay with music and basins with wood and fire and the little duck that dances her way to find her own song. Hereís a link http://waterfire.org/ to just show what it is.

I work in watercolor, but used to do oils, but once my children (4 girls) were born, it was too much of a hassle with little ones around. I did pastels for a while and loved them. I belong to our local watercolor society and recently was honored with a signature member status.

As some of you have said also, Iíve always done something creative Ė sewing, embroidery, crewel work, knitting, crocheting, upholstery. My new project will be reweaving a rush ladder back chair that belonged to my mother, as well as knitting a blanket for my granddaughter of with a butterfly design in the middle and along the edges that Iíve been neglecting my painting for.

Rebecca, my ex husband was lieutenant in the police department. He could have used a creative outlet of some kind thatís for sure. Itís a difficult job and you donít always see the best in people. There are similarities in the high stress of both nursing and police work, I agree. As a nurse you also do not always see people who are at their best either.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Buddy is georgous, Bunny. Thank you. Your book illistrating sounds very intersting. Thanks for the links, I will take a look. 🐾🐾
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivien Maloney
Many thanks Chammi for starting this Thread!

Well most members of this Forum know me, and Im also a Moderator on the Floral Forum and Watermedia too.

I have a great love for animals both big and small. Riding and owning horses all my life (my Arab Aladdin was a special horse) and also had the priviledge of having the best of dog friends too. From Spaniels to Labradors to Jack Russels and Newfoundlands, Ive known great companionship and love from them all my life. What a priviledge to have known these special dogs and horses. I count myself so fortunate to have been so blessed with such wonderful animal friends.

My husband and I have been married for 53 years and have 3 married sons and 4 wonderful grandchildren. I also still have my (now very old) Miniature Horse "Star Dreamer" and an extremely active and mischievous 2 year old Jack Russell/Fox Terrier " Pippa". Those members who used to post in our Chat Thread would maybe remember some of Pippa's antics, as she grew from a puppy to an adult! The things she got up to, were what legends were made of!

For those who haven't seen her (and I think most members have) here's my naughty, mischievous, and thoroughly wonderful 2 year old "Pippa" doing her very Regal pose.

Looking forward to hearing something of other members in our Forum. Please dont be shy, we would love to hear about you all.

She is magnificent, as she has always been. ( Though Mischevious!)
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 04:52 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hallo Bunny. What an interesting and creative life you have led and are now enjoying. Your Lhaso Buddy is just beautiful. Those eyes say it all. Great to get to know you better. Thanks so much for sharing.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Last edited by chammi kaiser : 07-29-2017 at 01:59 AM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Yes, hello Bun, from a fellow nurse. All of us have led some amazing lives!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

Thanks for starting this thread, I wander around alot of the Forums so many of you know me. I have been with WC for 10 years and have learned so much from the members.
I have been retired a couple of years from the IT industry (spent 25 yrs after going back to school for Computer Engineering (previous was a cabinetmaker for 15 yrs)
I grew up on a farm and have always loved animals, we had all the usual 2 and 4 legged creatures except horses, but my mom was raised with horses so grew to love them too. I have always been and advocate of animal rights and humane treatment, I love to draw them, and have done all my pastels of animals, many acrylic dogs and watercolor cats (not sure why that is)
I have been drawing all my life, but of course let it slip away in my teens, regrouped as an adult and taught myself more drawing from books and tooks painting classes many years ago, and continue to take classes to this day, simply because I like to learn new things, I paint and draw in all medias depending on the subject matter.
I have been with the love of my life 17 years (and with the not-so-love-of-my live for 29), have had many dogs and cats over the years and we currently have 3 cats
We live in the center of the Canadian Prairies in Saskatchewan.
I love summer, riding motorcycle (yes I have tattoos) running, hiking, sewing, painting, drawing (every day), art, music of all types, gardening, and so many other things.
I try to experience as many new things as I can and fill my days. I think mybe I am feeling my mortality and am trying to cram in as much as I can, one more year and I will receive old age pension (at 65)
so nice to get to know all of you more

ďItís possible to have an awesome life, but itís up to ourselves to do it.Ē RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

fedetony - My sister is named "Frederica". I did note on TV the other day, a swimmer named Federica and thought it might be a mistake, but obviously not!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Bonnie, Bun and everyone - thank you all so much for posting about yourselves.
Its wonderful to hear about you and all the different lives you have. But one thing we all have in common in this Forum is our love and respect for animals. This is a great Thread - so keep them coming folks!

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Hey, Bonnie, we must've been born the same year!

Last edited by KreativeK : 07-26-2017 at 10:36 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeK
Hey, Bonnie, we must've been born the same year!

''Twas A very good year

ďItís possible to have an awesome life, but itís up to ourselves to do it.Ē RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

It was a vintage year, just like wine we are better with a little bit of aging going on.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Mpumalanga South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Hi all lovely idea to be able to meet the interesting people behind their art. I started with art about four years ago after I had retired. I began with graphite drawing and then got into all the other media. (Sort of a Jack of all trades and master of none) It gives me enormous pleasure - just wish I had started years ago.

Animals have always been a big part of my life. When I was younger I used to own and ride horses competitively and have always had dogs and cats in the family.

I am fortunate to now live very close to the Kruger National Park and therefore have no shortage of wildlife reference photos. I also have antelope giraffe, warthogs and zebra wandering through my garden which is wonderful but not so good for my other hobby which is gardening.

I have taught myself what I know from books and the internet which is why forums on WC are so important to me as I learn so much from the comments
and suggestions.

Lovely to cyber-meet you all!
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Pat, it is very nice to make your acquaintance! Your country is quite beautiful!

My nephew's wife is from SA and is now a US citizen and her mother and husband are here now also studying for their tests. Some gorgeous animal and countryside photos were shared with me from them.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Bonnie, you have such an active life. You certainly haven't 'retired'. I have seen you around for so many years now and it is super to get to know a little more about your life. You live in a very beautiful part of the world. Bet those tattoos are animals.

Pat Great to get to know a fellow South African. I was born in Elliot in the Eastern Cape Province, a farming area and grew up loving animals. I have been living in Germany for many years and now have a German passport.
Wonderful to be able to live so near to the Kruger National Park (one of my favourite places in South Africa). What an absolute joy to have these wild creatures popping in to say hallo. Better put those veges behind tall fences! Not sure about the flowers?

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artastic
''Twas A very good year
I'm "class of '53", too!

Hello all, my name is Pat. I've always drawn, painted and sculpted. I majored in commercial art in high school and my first 3-yr stint in art school. I left to marry a potter I met, and for 20 years we had a small pottery business, and also had 2 sons. Sadly our life fell apart, and we went our separate ways. I met my current husband a few years later, we've been married now for 21 years, and he is the love of my life! With his encouragement and support, I finally went back to school & got my BFA and an MA in Art History.

About 16 month ago, my husband retired and we moved to SW Florida. We're in a +55 community. We moved here from Newport RI. It was there that I started teaching painting classes at our local Michaels. I really enjoyed it, and also did art classes at a nursing home for 2 years, too. I worked with residents and in the Alzheimers/Dementia unit, which was very fulfilling. All in all, my students ranged in age from 4 to 101!

I'm teaching here in FL at a Michaels, an art league, and at a gallery. I also do digital illustrations for a publishing company. I'm hoping to spend more time painting, now that we are sort-of-retired. My husband went back to work as a math professor with a local small college, (he got bored after a few months of being retired). We did have 2 beautiful Siberian huskies when we moved here, but sadly, lost both of them last year. No more pets for now, as our schedules are pretty full, but I surely miss my fur-kids.

Although I love teaching beginners, I've enjoyed doing several more in-depth paintings since we moved here. I also hope to take a workshop or two to help me develop my skills.

I've been on wc a lot of years, I admire the many talented artists who post their work and share their knowledge. Its nice to read a thread like this and learn more about you wonderful people!

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)