WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Windows 10 - a rock and a hard place

Hello, new to the forum.

I'm experienced with computers, but now find myself in a dilemma.

I'm not a big Windows 10 fan (not here to debate that) that's why I never upgraded and have a number of systems running Win 7 Pro 64.

I recently bought a new system because my primary system - an I5 - was getting old, but most importantly because new Win 7 systems are getting hard to find. I got a decent system - a 6th gen I7 running Win 7 pro 64. But with the system I also got a license and disk for Win 10.

That's my dilemma - what to do. I run some older software. I have Adobe CC but still primarily use Photoshop CS5. I also use Corel painter and lots of plugins, old and new. But a concern is color management - I use an old but trustworthy DTP-94 puck with Monaco EZ Color which is about 10 years old. I barely got the drivers to work on Win 7. I suspect Win 10 will be a problem.

I know enough about computers to know if I ever upgrade to Win 10, the best way is a clean install which would mean wiping the harddrive and starting all over again - what a pain.

So my question is simple - generally speaking, for a person doing lots of graphic work with old and new apps, plugins and utilities, is Win 10 ready for prime time yet or would it be best to wait for a little while?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Adams, MN

Hails from United States
Re: Windows 10 - a rock and a hard place

After my older computer died a few years back we bought a reburbished Dell with Windows 7 Professional so I can use the Windows XP virtual machine and use most of my older software.
I just don't feel like spending lots of money for new software when the older ones were suitable for my needs.
To install the virtual machine adjustments need to be done to the Bios and the virtual software downloaded from the Microsoft site.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

If you are happy with tour current setup I would stick with it.

I use Windows 10 having upgraded from Windows 8.1 and find it very good, it runs my old software including Corel Paintshop Pro and several other programs, but the driver for your old accessories could be a problem.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

I've been using Windows 10 for heavy graphics and development work since it was released. I don't understand why you would question Win 10's performance on these particular tasks because Win 10 is a much faster and stable OS then any of Microsoft's previous versions. Other then the unnecessary collection of private data Win 10 is a winner.

www.vincentcreative.net
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I upgraded my Asus laptop from Windows 8.1 2 years ago and have been quite happy until this week when I checked for updates and found a Security Update stuck for 6 days so far on 0% and no progress. Computer is working normally otherwise. A search for the update KB number found nothing, must be corrupted. I'm hoping the next update will clear the problem

Doug