WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Welcome Forum!
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow Smearing Around

I can't draw. I like to color with colored pencils and I do like to smear colors around so I play with Oil Pastels. Perhaps if I persist, I will eventually create a piece that does not need a label or a "this side up" arrow.

Meanwhile, I am having fun with art supplies and some books. Playing at Art.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Re: Smearing Around

Welcome to WC!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums as there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions. Drawing classes included!

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there. The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found the rest of the time, we are a fun and supportive groups there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at The Point To Art Blog--Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Hello Ratchet ... welcome.

Please do not be discouraged because you cannot draw. All art is really just a skill that takes time and practice to develop. I started drawing for the first time in my life in 2005 when I was 52. My first attempts weren't so good but I kept at it and practiced quite a bit until I began to figure it out. I've come a long way (see the images in my signature). It was due to WC and having other people make suggestions and me asking all manner of questions .. but mostly it was practicing. This sounds trite I know, but if I can do it anybody can. So don't lose heart .. practice and you'll eventually surprise yourself.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Ken

Beautiful Drawings! It is the process, not the results that intrigues me. I joined the forum because, while I like Oil Pastels, there are technical aspects, such as grounds and fixatives, that take enormous amounts of time to research, but only a few minutes to ask on the forum and receive good advice.

Art is a journey, an exploration and I am enjoying my artless smearing around immensely.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Results will undoubtedly follow practice on the process with any medium. It is indeed easier and probably more profitable to ask people on a forum such as WC because you may get different answers based on different approaches. I know this is true with drawing - my methods don't work for everybody nor did the other methods always work for me. That's half the fun - learning about different ways and trying them as well as adjusting them to your own ends.

BTW - I like drawing cats, but don't tell anyone. So far it's a secret and it is probably best kept that way ...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Beautiful Cats! I like drawing ellipses and boxes. I wanted to learn to draw because I saw an illustration of ellipses by Scott McDaniel and for the life of me, I could not figure out how it was done. I am a few days away from drawing that, then I don't know what. I have a good camera so I don't want to do hyper realism. Landscapes are tedious. I do like Still Life and Animal, (Love, love love your cats).

I like Cezanne. I like Modogliani. I tend to draw people when I doodle so perhaps that is the direction.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Welcome to the Wet Canvas community, it is nice to meet you!
WC holds something for any artist no matter the area of interest, choice of media or level of skill.
If you click on any of the words or phrases in my Signature line below you will find numerous helpful hints to assist you with some of the basics of the site, but if after reviewing them you need help, I encourage you to return here at any time, it's why we are here.
* Clicking on your own username will present a drop down menu with numerous options including finding all of your own posts
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels Menu at the upper left
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I think the best advice I can offer is to find things you like to draw and then practice those. It takes some time to figure out or learn how someone did something - methods or techniques - but you can eventually figure things out by practicing different things. Or ask in a forum - perhaps someone might know. Another option is to get an email for that artist (if possible) and ask them directly. Getting a likeness also takes time but it always seems to come in time once you get started on the process.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Jon, Thanks! That tip about clicking my user name is a real help.

Ken, Perhaps there is a forum for perspective as that is the part that interests me right now, boxes and ellipses. But I am learning it slowly. Perhaps having to figure it out myself is best as I am knowing it thoroughly. I still have things to learn, inclined planes, arches, shadows and reflections but I can use what I do know to do simple Still Life, round things and square things. I might try a cat as a geometric figure, see how that works.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

You could check out our drawing classroom which has classes on perspective and geometric shapes.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Ken

I went to the drawing classroom. The posts were pre-2010. I didn't see any information about current classes. I could do the classes by myself as the courses look self explanatory. Is there a current classroom. Please don't research this, just if you know. You have shared your time and expertise generously. Don't want to impose
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

The way the classroom works is that you pick a class, read the first few posts which describe what the class is about and what the instructor wants you to do. Then do the work and post it at the end of the class thread and an experienced artist will then look at it and make suggestions as necessary. From there you can work on the exercise again and repost or move on to another class. AFAIK that's the way all classrooms in forums work at WC. Others may know better, of course.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Ah Hah! Thanks! That will get me started! The classes are interesting. Where can I ask questions such as which thread is current? Can I skip classes or do I do them in order? Some of the threads I saw were closed. I guess I will figure it out.
Thanks Again for all your help!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Actually, they are all still current/active. If you have a question, just post it in a reply to the thread and it will go to the instructor who will come along and answer it. Take a look at some of the last posts to any thread and you'll see how it works. When the classes were first given many people participated so the posts were fast and furious .. but once the initial class was completed things settled into the way they now work which was one person reading the requirements, posting their work and then the instructor coming along to critique or suggest. Once you do one you'll see ...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 PM
A Local Legend
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas!

* If you make art, you are an artist! (I can't draw, either!)

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels. Find some interesting conversations in the forums and join in!

Note that many of the WetCanvas forums are arranged by medium (watercolors, oils, etc.) or subject (miniatures, landscapes, etc.). Happy exploring in all them!

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
See you in the forums!