WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Welcome Forum!
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:03 AM

I never used a forum before...

Hello everyone. My name is Woodlouse. I am a young artist (19 this year), hoping to become some sort of freelance illustrator. I am completely self taught, though I have studied a few books; Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides, and The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron to name a few. I learned a lot from these books, and I feel I have my head wrapped around drawing pretty well after reading them. Other than that, I also learn a lot from my role models.

I've never used a forum in my life, but I came to this site because I've been having a bit of a crisis and am in desperate need of artistic wisdom and advice. Since my feelings about art lately are really embarrassing for me, I'm sorry, but I won't be showing any of my art or going too much into detail about myself because I don't want any of the people I know to find me and know how I'm feeling... That may sound a bit harsh, but I hope it's okay. I really need to connect with other artists for help, without too many strings attached, and without any bias.

Can someone please direct me to the right forum to post in in regards to illustration style/creativity issues/advice? I want to be as respectful as I can to this community, and I think posting a thread in the wrong forum would ruin that a little.

Last edited by woodlouse : 06-06-2016 at 04:06 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: I never used a forum before...

Hello woodlouse ... welcome to WC.

You could try the Creativity Forum. Don't worry too much about posting in the wrong forum ... we have moderators who will move the thread and advise you of your mistake. It happens fairly often and doesn't reflect badly on you. We're a friendly bunch. Should you have any questions about drawing, that would be Drawing and Sketching where I hang out.

Getting to use a forum is very easy and you'll catch on in no time. Have fun and I'm sure all your questions can be answered.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Tyne and Wear, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum. This is a treasure trove for advancing your artistic skills and knowledge!
I'm also self taught, and drawing on the right side of the brain was a real eye opener for me! Quite literally!

all the best!

C's C's and C's welcome! (C= compliments, C= comments, C= criticism)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 09:08 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

We welcome all! One of the great advantages about WC is that we are a friendly group and treat each other with respect. Our rules are not harsh and we don't 'punish' , so join in and enjoy!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums as there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there. The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found the rest of the time, we are a fun and supportive groups there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at The Point To Art Blog--Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, it's nice to meet you.

Post wherever you feel comfortable. We do have an illustration forum but it can be a bit quiet.

If you need help for a thread or think it's in the wrong forum, just press the little red triangle on the right side of any post and then leave us a note telling us to move it and it'll be moved. It's very easy to do and not a big deal at all.

Enjoy the site and welcome!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Welcome to the community, it’s nice to meet you!
We have many shy artists so travel at your own pace and when you are ready feel free to share your work.
You might consider reading and participating in a medium specific Forum.
Please take the time to read the links found in the Signature lines of Moderators and Guides to help you begin using the features of the site. You can also find informational Stickys at the top of every Forum.
If you should require any assistance, I encourage you to return here at any time.
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 AM

Hi SparrowHawk7, it's nice to meet you.
I'm glad to know that my first forum ever is one of such a friendly community! I will keep this info in mind. Thanks for the reply.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam B
Welcome to the forum. This is a treasure trove for advancing your artistic skills and knowledge!
I'm also self taught, and drawing on the right side of the brain was a real eye opener for me! Quite literally!

all the best!
Hello Sam! It's nice to meet you! I'm excited to become a part of this community.
It really was, wasn't it! I wish I could get more of my artist friends to read this book! Betty Edwards made learning such important stuff so fun. Thanks for your reply.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhs
We welcome all! One of the great advantages about WC is that we are a friendly group and treat each other with respect. Our rules are not harsh and we don't 'punish' , so join in and enjoy!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums as there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there. The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found the rest of the time, we are a fun and supportive groups there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at The Point To Art Blog--Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN
Hello Birdhs! It's nice to meet you. Thank you for the welcoming and helpful post, I will make sure to check out all the things mentioned.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
Hi, it's nice to meet you.

Post wherever you feel comfortable. We do have an illustration forum but it can be a bit quiet.

If you need help for a thread or think it's in the wrong forum, just press the little red triangle on the right side of any post and then leave us a note telling us to move it and it'll be moved. It's very easy to do and not a big deal at all.

Enjoy the site and welcome!
Hi wmrs! It's nice to meet you too. I see you are from IL; me too. OK, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Welcome to the community, it’s nice to meet you!
We have many shy artists so travel at your own pace and when you are ready feel free to share your work.
You might consider reading and participating in a medium specific Forum.
Please take the time to read the links found in the Signature lines of Moderators and Guides to help you begin using the features of the site. You can also find informational Stickys at the top of every Forum.
If you should require any assistance, I encourage you to return here at any time.
* You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
Hello Jon! It's nice to meet you.
I'm glad I won't be alone in my shyness! Thank you. I hope I can open up more someday and feel more comfortable showing this community my art; but thanks for giving me the OK to take it slow.
I'll make sure to read up. Thanks!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Hello woodlouse ... welcome to WC.

You could try the Creativity Forum. Don't worry too much about posting in the wrong forum ... we have moderators who will move the thread and advise you of your mistake. It happens fairly often and doesn't reflect badly on you. We're a friendly bunch. Should you have any questions about drawing, that would be Drawing and Sketching where I hang out.

Getting to use a forum is very easy and you'll catch on in no time. Have fun and I'm sure all your questions can be answered.
Oops; I replied to this post but I think I did it wrong. My bad. I'm a noob indeed.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 04:49 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlouse
Oops; I replied to this post but I think I did it wrong. My bad. I'm a noob indeed.
You did just fine ... quoting a post is not required, I don't do it all the time. It helps to clarify who you are talking to, but you could just as well use the person's name. Sometimes conversations get started between just two people so those two just post - everybody knows who's talking. I could say something to Virginia (vmrs) here but I wouldn't want to get off topic - she'll see the reference when she reads the postings. As you've seen you get emailings of all replies to the thread as do we all if our account is set to do so. In addition there is a combo box (drop down) below the reply window that you can set to instant email notification which I find handy.

It's important to read the FAQs in whatever forum you decide to post - some forums have slightly different rules for posting. Here's what we use at Drawing & Sketching - which is basically the same as all the forums I visit. Such threads are found at the top of the list of threads. Such threads are called "stickies" because they will stay at the top regardless of other, newer threads. And, as I mentioned earlier, should you make a mistake we won't make you stand in the corner. A moderator will come along, see the error and fix it along with a PM (private message) to you so you will know what went wrong. As for general behavior, read the User Agreement to be sue you understand what is permitted - you agreed to it before you could join but most of us tend to just click OK to such things to get past them. We do enforce it but it's really easy to follow.

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 06-07-2016 at 04:55 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 PM
A Local Legend
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hello! Welcome to WetCanvas!

* Let me point out that I am also from Illinois! Why not some more colorful place, I don't know! I sometimes feel bad when I hear of all of the plein air expeditions that take place in the Smoky Mountains, the American West, and both coasts of the US!

WetCanvas is a great place to find help and camaraderie with other artists of all skill levels. Find some interesting conversations in the forums and join in!

Note that many of the WetCanvas forums are arranged by medium (watercolors, oils, etc.) or subject (miniatures, landscapes, etc.). Happy exploring in all them!

Please let us know if we can be of further help.

Thanks for joining!
See you in the forums!

AJ (opainter)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
I could say something to Virginia (vmrs) here but I wouldn't want to get off topic - she'll see the reference when she reads the postings.

What? YOU go off topic..Noooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlouse
Hi wmrs! It's nice to meet you too. I see you are from IL; me too. OK, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Yup I'm over by the Quad Cities, if you're in the area check out Meetup for Artist meetups, we get together and paint and chat, all are welcome.