WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Scanning Watercolor

I've been working with a series of watercolor illustrations on paper but I'm having trouble finding a scanner that can reproduce the art with the right coloring. It's been such a frustrating experience that I've actually switched to photographing the original watercolors with an iPhone 5S and then doing some minor corrections in Photoshop. However, this leads to warping or cropping into the image because the image isn't pressed flat. A scanner woukd bypass the warping but I just need one that could reproduce the watercolor without patchiness or color loss. Any suggestions?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Scanning Watercolor

Hi Charon,

I personally have no experience with your question, but did do a little research and found the following links that you may want view at your convenience. There does seem to be a few recommendations for Epson, however.

http://www.parkablogs.com/content/be...ork-comparison

http://www.photine.net/what-to-look-...tor-or-artist/

http://www.sibleyfineart.com/_blog/2...s-for-artwork/

http://sarah-bodera.blogspot.com/201...tercolors.html

The last link (Sarah Bodera) offers a good review of the Epson Perfection V600.

Best Wishes!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 PM

I just got my V600, based on the strengths of the reviews. Not much experience with scanners so I don't have anything to compare it to but I'm kinda disappointed. Colors are off - but those can be color corrected, I guess - but what the scanner sees and what my eyes sees are pretty different, e.g. a pink wash on hot press that appears smooth to the eye is much less so to the scanner.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Is it possible your monitor is not properly calibrated? I recently added a second monitor to run side by side with my older one so I could use photoshop and illustrator together and learned early that the newer monitor rendered the colors of my scans differently when the scan was viewed simultaneously on both screens. A friend with much more experience in graphic design was able to calibrate both monitors for me, which, along with upgrading the lighting in my studio, helped me immensely.
It's not that hard to do but I can't recall the process, Google has the answer.
I highly doubt that the problem is your scanner, there's really not much wrong with Epson's in general.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 PM

See, it's about watercolor. If I were you, I will give it a shot and check if photo watermark creator can achieve your wanted effect.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States

A camera will give distortion and slightly uneven lighting of the art will be obvious. You can with some trouble fix the distortion in Photo Shop but the ragged lighting will drive you nuts.

I use an Epson WF-7510 to scan and the images seem "good" for pen & wash pieces up to quarter sheet in size.

Dave