WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Welcome Forum!
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 04:14 AM

Unhappy New but I'm moving far and am worried about my art supplies

Hello, still new and I'm not sure where my thread wpuld belong exactly.

I need help on how to go about moving half way across the world with my art supplies for a better life....
I'm emotionally attached to all of my art supplies and my oil paints especially lately and I'm scared that the airplane does not allow such things on there.
Especially the mediums and everything with their toxicity and combustible rates...

Does anyone have experience and any pointers or tips. I am moving back to my home country; New Zealand.
Everything is very expensive there and as it is right now getting a job will be very difficult already
So buying new materials will be highly difficult.

Any suggestions are extremely welcome!
Please and thank you-
Marshall
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: New but I'm moving far and am worried about my art supplies

I would take your favourite brushes and palettes with you, everything else should be replaceable. You will not be able to take flammable materials like oil mediums with you, but with a name like Blick you should have good connections

This is a terrific community and a wonderful resource, and you will find forums for just about every art and craft medium here, it's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums there may be restricted posting.

The links in the top line of my signature will help with the forum and how to resize and post your pictures. You can start uploading pictures on your third post. If you have a particular site problem, click on my name and send me a private message (pm).

Incidentally if you have an RSS feed reader such as Feedly use the code http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS to see all new threads on wetcanvas.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Here's an article from Winsor & Newton that should be of help. Mostly check with your air carrier for their rules first.

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disco...nsor-newton-us
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

New Zealand seems to have some of the most spectacular scenery in the world, lots to paint! Welcome to WC!

Lots of fine folks here, you will meet many of them as you browse about. Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.

We are always glad to see new members, hope you have time to explore all the different Forums. There are all levels of artists here, working in virtually all mediums. It's worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums there may be restricted posting.

There are many free tutorials available, and the friendly folks here will try to help you with any questions.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses, and for the use of images in the Reference Library..

Check out the Photography Forums, too. No camera is required! Many of us just like to look at and discuss phots. There are some very talented folks there.

Looking forward to seeing your art.
Looking forward getting to know you!

Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

Life is good!
Very good indeed.

Greg Otvos at The Point To Art Blog--Camp Sawdust Studios, Red Bank TN
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Hello, again!
As mentioned, contacting your airline is the best place to start.
If you click on any of the words or phrases in my Signature line below you will find numerous helpful hints to assist you with some of the basics of the site, but if after reviewing them you need help, I encourage you to return here at any time, it's why we are here
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Devonport, Tasmania.

Hails from Australia

My paint supplies come to Australia from the UK by mail. Why not pack them and post them to yourself.

Paul
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 PM
A Local Legend
Illinois

Hails from United States

Hello Marshall!

I would suggest that you consider your mediums - at least the liquid mediums - to be a lost cause. I don't imagine that any airline or mail or freight-shipping service would want to transport them.

Paints that are in clearly-identified tubes might be a different matter. I would think that you might be able to ship them without problem. Perhaps, maybe depending on airline, you might be able to transport them with your luggage, although probably not with your carry-on luggage. My guess (it is a guess, since I have never faced this problem) is that it would be best to ship them rather than take them with you by plane. Only because at the time you board your flight, some zealous aviation security agent might designate them for "the trash" instead of for "New Zealand"! And remember that airline regulations for different items might change right after some "terrorist" event occurs somewhere in the world.

Should you need to purchase paints and mediums in New Zealand, there's no shortage of manufacturers and retailers in Australia and New Zealand from which to choose.

Best of luck, Marshall,

AJ (opainter)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Oh, I feel for you. I just got back from a one week vacation and while I took some pens and pencils with me, and some little water colors, I felt like a huge part of me was still at home. I really missed my supplies. I hope you can take as much as possible and replace the rest.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 AM

Smile Re: New but I'm moving far and am worried about my art supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadastudio
Oh, I feel for you. I just got back from a one week vacation and while I took some pens and pencils with me, and some little water colors, I felt like a huge part of me was still at home. I really missed my supplies. I hope you can take as much as possible and replace the rest.

Yes! Exactly how I felt with a small visit to someone for a week and a half. Its like leaving part of yourself there. I just can't part.

I mean I can part with a few if necessary, but I am hoping that with my 3 month old (at the most) oil paints will be able to make it. I don't mind TOO much that my india ink may not make it...

I just can't understand how people part with their art supplies and studio for long periods of time. I have only got my room set up, yet I cannot bear to let go of anything.

Im glad someone knows how I feel on this.

Plus I plan to start my art business up down in New Zealand and practice more than ever. I might possiblyneed my art supplies to start some of it.

Question for everyone that reads this part:
I have noticed there is some sort of "MSDS" paper or something for mediums and oil paints you can bring to notify the airport for checking in your baggage since most mediums have a 'fire hazard' point or something above 100 degrees...

Does anyone know about this sort of thing?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 12:40 AM

Thumbs up Re: New but I'm moving far and am worried about my art supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
Here's an article from Winsor & Newton that should be of help. Mostly check with your air carrier for their rules first.

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disco...nsor-newton-us

Thank you SparrowHawk7 This was EXTREMELY helpful and I never would have thought they would have a page for that.

I will keep it bookmarked for when the time comes closer.

I plan to keep digging to find ways to get my stuff there without any time without my precious art supplies
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Is there a possibility of shipping your things? Sometimes shippers will take things airlines will not. Earth magnets cannot be flown but they can be shipped. Perhaps your mediums will fall into that same category ... worth calling to find out anyway.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

I've moved all over (military) with art supplies and most airlines and even movers between states here will not carry liquids or chemicals. You could ship them to a postal box or relative/friend until you get there but in the long run the shipping costs will be pricier then simply buying new ones at the end.

When I moved from one country to another, which has happened a few times, I donated everything liquid or chemical (friskets and pastes and such) that was in good condition and got rid of the rest. Things like inks and even certain pens can cause an awful lot of damage if they leak and are easily replaceable, it would be silly to risk it really.

Moving is super stressful even when you want to move, best of luck to you. Don't forget to breathe and enjoy the new experiences. Come back when you're settled and let us know how it went.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmrs
I've moved all over (military) with art supplies and most airlines and even movers between states here will not carry liquids or chemicals. You could ship them to a postal box or relative/friend until you get there but in the long run the shipping costs will be pricier then simply buying new ones at the end.

When I moved from one country to another, which has happened a few times, I donated everything liquid or chemical (friskets and pastes and such) that was in good condition and got rid of the rest. Things like inks and even certain pens can cause an awful lot of damage if they leak and are easily replaceable, it would be silly to risk it really.

Moving is super stressful even when you want to move, best of luck to you. Don't forget to breathe and enjoy the new experiences. Come back when you're settled and let us know how it went.

I figured it was slightly a lost cause for some of my art supplies. Thankfully most of my stuff happen to be copious amounts of pencils, colored pencils, markers and charcoal. I've only recently gotten my oil paints and it would be a shame to give them away on my part....

I might be able to figure out the costs here versus New Zealand and then see how much shipping will run me... And with that go and figure stuff out...
Does that sound somewhat like a good idea?

I'm just so nervous since I've never flown alone first of all and now I'm going to need to figure out how to get everything across the world... Oh goodness

Also my knife for cleaning up dried paint is a pocket knife from 1920 or so from a grandparent... Would I have to ship that or would I have to leave it behind with family...
Sorry for so many questions

But thank you
You've all helped greatly and makes me feel a bit better about my move.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

If you've never flown alone before, I would seriously suggest that you stay IN the plane this time. That way you'll be with other passengers and your arms won't get too tired. (I'm told I've got a dubious nature so I can't help it ... )

If in doubt about how to carry something on the plane, call the airline. They will tell you how to pack something and if they will accept it or not. A pocket knife will at the very least, not be permitted in the cabin but it may be allowed in the luggage below deck. I don't know for sure ... but they will.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2016, 03:15 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Please go to this website and link to helpful info:

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disco.../health-safety