WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: upgrade WIN 10 + Gimp + PS

Sorry Viv, Giles Letourneau renamed his youtube channel to Windows for Everyone.

I think any program that works with Windows 8.1 should work with Windows 10. You could check your printer manufacturer's site to make sure they have a Windows 10 printer driver. Make sure you upgrade before the end of July or you will have to pay.

Doug
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Doug - thanks, I'll take a look.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Oh gosh! Since last posting, I've now received a message from Microsoft that my Windows 10 upgrade will go ahead on Tuesday 31st May...unless I cancel it!

I guess I will have the download, as it seems silly to NOT have it, but I do have reservations! I've warned my WC Forums, that I may be offline if it doesn't go as planned, so I will have to see!!!! Crossing fingers for a trouble free Windows 10 upgrade!

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2016, 02:25 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Relax Viv, you have the option to revert to Windows 8.1 after installation, but once you upgrade once it will be free next time you instal it.

I think you will be happy with Windows 10, apart from appearance it is little different from Windows 8.1.

Doug
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

One thing I didn't say Vivien was be sure to back up all your data to an external hard disk or USB stick before doing the upgrade. If anything goes wrong you can then do a clean install.

Do a Windows 10 check to see if all your apps are compatible first.

If you start the upgrade, leave the computer switched on and leave it to it, it can take over an hour and several restarts.

Doug
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Doug, yes I'm backing up my files on to an external hardive. I'll let you know how it goes! Hopefully problem free!

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:26 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Doug, yes I'm backing up my files on to an external hardive....mostly my photos which I don't want to lose....didn't realise I had so many of them!
I'll let you know how it goes! Hopefully problem free!

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I also back up all my photos to Google Photos and my documents to OneDrive Viv, so I have 3+ copies of everything.

Remember if you are not happy there is a revert to W7 option.

Doug
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM

Hails from New Zealand

I'm back!

My Windows 10 download, went without a hitch! Went off perfectly!. I was messaged at the end, to tell me all my photos, and files had been retained, and most importantly too, so had my version of Photoshop Elements 13! Yipppeee!

I was worried I'd lose everything, so had saved as much as I could to an External Hardrive. I haven't lost anything! Which is brilliant, and I was so anxious about it.

I've been trying out my new Windows 10, which doesn't look any different on my computer to Windows 8.1 and seems to function the same.
So far the only thing I've found: "Paint" seems to have disappeared?
I use Paint a lot, for re-sizing members photos etc. There seems to be another sort of facility to edit photos instead of paint, and I tried that out...quite successful, but I did like Paint.

Doug - They are telling me to Save all my Files to One Drive? Do you think that's essential, as I have them all now on an External Hardrive, and I will keep updating it as time goes on?

Ok, since posting, I've discovered I do have Paint after all! Hidden away, so I couldn't find it....but I did, ha!
Windows 10 still seem to be changing things? Maybe I closed down too soon before it finished yesterday.

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 05-31-2016 at 08:10 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Glad it went OK Viv, not such a leap from Windows 8.1. I use free cloud storage as an extra backup to my two external drives and DVD's.

I got onedrive when they were giving 5GB free but now I think the free storage is reduced to 1GB. The bulk of my storage is over 40,000 pictures so I back them up on an external HD and to Google Photos. I only back up my documents to onedrive and 1GB is more than enough. I also use LibreOffice not Microsoft Office so I don't have any monthly subscriptions. I use the Edge browser but do have Chrome for testing.

Yes, some things take a little finding but 10 is much the same as 8.1 and even 7 under the hood. Main thing is to get the correct drivers if moving from 7.

Doug
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Doug - Wow, 40, 000 is a lot of photos! I dont have that many, but Ive got well into the thousands.

I discovered I had old photos of my beloved old dogs....who have long gone to the Rainbow Bridge, already saved on to my External Hardrive. There my precious Blossom was, as large as life on my computer screen! (My extremely loyal and very precious, Newfoundland). Very emotional seeing her suddenly appearing on the screen! Also early photos of our grandchildren. These photos are irreplaceable, arent they!,,
I think maybe I should get some printed off. I think we can get them made into a photo-book now...maybe I will do that.

Its really interesting what this Windows 10 update has brought to life!
So far, so good. I have no complaints with it at all.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

You must try Google photos Viv. It gives added bonuses such as albums and animations, dates all your photos, categorises them and you can search for a place or date and it will find it. You can even search for a person and it mostly finds every photo with them on every photo back to their childhood.

I scanned in all my old slides too. The reason I know how many photos I have is Google came back with "backed up 40,567 photos" If you have it on your phone it backs them up too when you take them. I'm a big fan of photo books too.

Doug
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Ok, here I am again!
After everything going so well with Windows 10 download, they have now gone and deleted my Google Chrome Browser...worked perfectly yesterday...but gone today!

I see Winows 10 is offering Edge as their Internet browser?
Should I try it? Is it any good? Will I have to sign in to every website again, AND use the new sign in on Wet Canvas, which I havent a clue what a picture sign in means!

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Borington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

For Vivien, my own personal (and very biased) recommendation would probably recommend to reinstall chrome. Windows does not have a particularly good track record for resource management or security for their browsers, and I haven't heard anything good from anyone I know who tried using it. My partner is also in IT security, and also recommends Firefox or chrome as better alternatives...

If you regularly use Chrome, and have google account links, password management, favourites and personal tabs, etc. you will lose most of that if you move to another browser. You can usually create an exportable file from most browsers to export your favourite links, but password management and other set up preferences will have to be re-input manually.

I am truly biased though, I have a main linux desktop, linux HTPC, and a Dell chromebook that also has dual-boot from an sd card with... more Linux! My personal preference is for chrome, as I have used their cloud services extensively for the last few years and so for me that is very convenient. Firefox is also a quite good browser though, and my alternate use browser when I want something less gluttony than chrome- it is also what my partner uses most of the time.

My own Windows partition is still on 7... geez, am I ever out of date!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

You should reinstall Chrome in Windows 10 Viv log in and you will have all your bookmarks and extensions back.

I recommend the Edge browser and you can import your bookmarks from Chrome using the browser settings. I would wait until you have uploaded the Anniversary Update after 2nd August as Edge will then have Extensions such as adblock plus, translate, pinteresr etc available.

I recommend you check out the series of youtube videos in the "Windows for Everyone" channel, Giles is very good and at present is covering the update and explaining all aspects of the new version.

BT W if you have Windows 7 ir 8.1 I would recommend updating to W10 before 29th July while it is free. There is provision to go back if you don't like it.

Ugrading does take over an hour btw.

Doug