WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavengers Hunt #602 Sept 10 - 18

Pine Cone - Thanks for encouraging comments. Schleich animals, do you collect?. The look pretty realistic which would make them good art models. Had to look kudu up. Had seem pictures of them before but merely identified as antelopes. I love how you used artistic license to turn the antelope into an ‘almost abstract’ work of art.

Joan - Thanks. Another plus to digi besides not searching for materials is that it is easy to undo/redo. Plus if you get part right you can go to another layer to work on another part and merge them once you have it. The down side is you can so easily undo/redo so you go for the ‘right’ line. I probably could have drawn 5 or 6 drawings in graphite in the time I worked on it. And tongs do look deceptively easy..
The boat painting is great. I was looking at so many things. I like how the piling draw your eye in. Then realized how well you used perspective both linear and optical. Great work. And clever ‘telephone’ interpretation.

Individuo - Thanks for the kind words. I am keeping pastels out as they are fun. I like your tips on working with water soluble graphite. Your tips are identical to those for working with watercolor pencils, which may seem obvious but never thought of it that way. Have a couple of water soluble pencils somewhere and now want to give then another try. Do you use drawing paper? Watercolor paper? Multi-media paper?

Scatty - WOW! Beautiful. So much to see and say. First your shading with watercolor is great. The t-shirt, tongs, thumb, tomato, orange, tea cup ..so realistic. I think I have commented before but I like how you label each item. Great job!

Ai, jo, lurkers -
Keep sketching
Joe
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Individuo — Thanks for the good advice. I don't know what my prob is. Went from not so good to seriously bad, but still sort of fun in a way. I'll probably keep trying at some point now that I've unearthed them.

Joan — Thanks, and thanks for the info on the building and chair. Love your scenic shore with all the pilings and boats!

Scatty — Wow, how do you plan out these amazing collections? Endlessly fascinating!!!!!! You gobsmacked me again 😄

Joe — Thanks, and I don't really collect in the strict sense, but I have several. The kudu is a new low, but here is a photo of the others I can remember using for the SHs in the past. I didn't include the kudu for obvious reasons but perhaps I'll sketch it again one of these days.

P.S. In my version of the Universe, all animals are safe from all other animals and from people. All the energy we all need comes from the Sun so the clown fish doesn't have to worry about the bear, etc.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Hails from Spain

Joan T, wonderful sketch!!

Scatty, WOW!! Superb!!

Joe, a huge disclaimer is in order here. I am in no position to give advise to anyone, I am a beginner and have very little experience. The tips were just things to try just in case someone hadn't thought or heard of them (I even tried a wet on wet for a light wash that worked). Having said so:
-I have used 180gsm drawing paper without issues and currently use mixed media paper, mainly Canson Imagine, because it is cheap and I have no problems with it.
-I have tried Canson XXL watercolor paper and of course works well, but Canson Imagine is cheaper.
-I have to say as well that I "work" small and use exclusively a Pentel AquaBrush, so I don't put much water on the paper at the same time. My preferred way of using it is loading the brush on the pencil lead and sketch directly with the brush (although the tree wasn't done like that, I just used the pencil roughly on the paper and then used the brush because it is much faster this way)
-About Canson Imagine paper, I use it with watercolors too, but it is terrible there, very difficult and unforgiving. In fact those 180gsm drawing papers were better. But that is only with watercolors, I like it a lot with water soluble graphite.
Well, in summary, you were better off watching youtube videos than reading my post.
I am looking forward to seeing your projects or just experiments with it. Have fun.

Pine Cone, you have no problem, just lack of experience with the medium. I like those stripes. So yes, please, keep trying and have fun, play, experiment and don't worry at first for the results.
The following picture is for your benefit.

I could call it 'burning souls in hell' but it is actually an attempt to sketching a hazel tree, which wasn't burning or anything.
By the way, nice collection. Book me a ticket for that Universe of yours.

Last edited by individuo : 09-17-2019 at 05:05 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Hails from Spain

8-Tea (chamomile tea) ("infusion de manzanilla" in Spanish) ink.
About 3 minutes.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Individuo — You're hilarious - thank you for posting the other tree and I love your comment too! Oo, yum, chamomile tea in an adorable mug 😌 Well-done and comforting sketch. You did that difficult handle and angle nicely, and if you're a beginner, you're way ahead of the curve ☀️

Joe and everyone — MAJOR mistake in my pic of Schleich/Safari models above. Out of habit, I grabbed the elephant (I've been "about" to sketch several times) instead of the mammoth (which I actually did sketch for the SHs).

So I've retaken the pic of all the Schleich/Safari models I can remember sketching. This time it has the mammoth rather than the mistaken elephant. Plus, I added in the poor Kudu because I felt bad for leaving it out.

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Nice set Scatty. It is so beautiful and fun at the same time.

PineCone: Love the pattern on the back of the animal.

individuo: Fun tea cup.. and nice tree.

Joan: Gorgeous harbor scene.

Joe: Sorry I could not find more time to sketch, been slow on my work. Hope to do more next time. Thanks for hosting.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Individuo - hearing from a real person and their experience is a lot better than YouTube even though I am semi-addicted to YouTube art sites. Nice line work on the tea cup/ tea. Hope it was still warm to enjoy after sketching.

Pine Cone - from my view more than 2 of anything is a collection. Those are great and make good art models!

Ai - watch for you in next hunt.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Joe — Thanks, and thanks for a fun and art-expanding event. You do have a way of making me want to try things that are difficult for me, and I'm grateful for that 😀
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:07 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Joe, thanks for the Hunt. It was fun to observe.
Winston Churchill
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Hails from Spain

Thanks everyone.

Joe, I agree with you, just wanted to make clear that my opinion was not based on a whole lot of experience.
The tea was still hot when I finished my sketch , I always have the tea bag in the cup for 4 minutes and then take it out, that's the time I used for the sketch, although I lost a bit because I had to go and fetch pencil and paper.
Thank you very much for hosting, it was fun.

See you all in the next one