Home Forums The WetCanvas! Galleria Structured Critiques China Apartment No. 1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Humburger

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
        Title: China Apartment No. 1
        Year Created:
        Medium: Acrylic
        Surface: Wood
        Dimension: 11×14
        Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
        This is a commission whereby the client wants it to be painterly and he wants to see brush strokes, texture, and the hand of the artist. It is getting too wonky and out of control for me. How can I use perspective to straighten things up and keep it painterly and slightly impressionistic. I don’t even really know what I am doing or saying… I am losing my mojo for this piece, because it seems like such a mess to me. I am thinking of starting over with a point perspective drawing on paper and transferring it to the panel. He wants the reference photo in total, no cropping or adjusting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
        How can I use point perspective to do this? Do I make a sheet of paper the size of the panel and then put points on an undersheet and line up with them there? I feel like the points are WAY out there… Or should I just continue to try to make straight lines without any assistance, which, of course, will make no straight lines at all.

Ginny
        www.virginiacmccoy.com
        C & C Welcome

~JMW~

I think you are getting there. The building so far looks good..
            I’d do the whole thing completely as a rough under painting, then go back with layers to detail more & with touches of brush strokes on the final layers..
            but everyone approaches a work differently..

~Joy~

~JMW~

The image was just a bit off from level, the trees don’t lean quite a much now..
                But then the building appears off.. … I would just paint the pole & trees straighter and keep the building as you have it so far..

~Joy~

Humburger

Thank you, JMW. I am starting to doubt my own eyes. I sent my client a WIP (the above picture) and he loves it. You say the building looks good, so far. It must be my eyes. LOL! I will admit that I do have a hard time getting through the ugly stage. This is painting #2 of 9 in the commission and I am wondering if I am going to make it. Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. :-)

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Looks good to me. I put a protractor on your perspective your just about spot on.

IMO the issue here is the Artist’s Curse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3p6DUh2Nqk

Go to Google images and type in Sargent perspective paintings after watching the clip. You can’t get more “painterly” than his work.

Your being too criticle. View the painting upside down any problems will become obvious.

In Sargent’s work we see broken lines, lost and found lines. Study one of his paintings closely, observe the building lines. The windows are just blobs of paint but the perspective is there.

Get away from the painting a few days. Remember a painting is an illusion of reality not reality.

Is your goal the illusion of the building or to match the photo?. Get my drift ????

The only thing wrong with this painting is you have been too close for too long. Put it away for a few days

The attached photo shows that values are close except for some light areas and nothing jumps out when viewed upside down.

Go back to Sargent and notice a deliberate attempt NOT to have any straight lines. Lines are broken by windows trees etc.

Humburger

Thank you. Yes, I think you are right. I love painterly and loose work from other people, but when I do it… aarrgghh! Thank you for the help. Now, off to check out your link. 😊

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

Humburger

😮 Mark described me to a “T”! I am shocked and oddly comforted. I will have to study on that and, hopefully, remember it, because I have amazing struggles with every single commission. When I do something that I don’t have to make “perfect”, then and only then can I enjoy it. I had a friend ask me how much I love my work. I said that I don’t, but I have to do it. Well, I actually do enjoy it, but it is also a painful struggle. Thank you for the link.

Ginny
                            www.virginiacmccoy.com
                            C & C Welcome

Humburger

Finished:

Ginny
                                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                C & C Welcome

Ellen E

Beautifully done!

maryinasia

beautiful

Beautiful work.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.