WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
South Bucks

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Really want to rant

Jody, most people wont have good photos, but two people in particular will. Talking to those two, I know they could have afforded the work, if they'd had the courtesy to check the price.
As to selling work, talk to as many local artists as you can, to see how they started, and where they sell. Choose the ideas that sit best with you, and treat it as a business. Good Luck, and don't spend a fortune

mame, that might be fun. You've given it a little thought, I like the idea of a release form. I'll need to give it more thought myself ...

Last edited by Edradour : 05-09-2012 at 07:44 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Hails from Canada

Hmm -- I just remembered another time I asked to take a photo. It was in Australia, on vacation, at a rather high end market. There were wonderful ceramic cups and saucers that I just thought I'd like to photograph as part of the whole fantastic scene. When I asked the seller at first said no. She said there had been some problem of reproduction with decor magazines or something. I don't remember now. In the end she gave me permission and I took one photo which I showed her.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

I consciously paint in such a way that my work is seen best "in person"; layers, interference colors, transparent- over- opaque colours, etc. Sure, I've had folks take pictures of my work at shows (especially my sculptures) but they're never going to have the same experience looking at a phot they snapped at a show on their cell phone, that they'd have looking at the actual work hanging in their living room.

So tell them! Write in your statement what makes owning your original work so much better than printing images from your website, or taking a photo of your work at a show...
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM

Nothing wrong with saying "no photos, please!" On the other hand, if people are just photographing the event, not planning to print it and hang it, shouldn't be a big deal. When you see someone preparing to snap a photo, say "hello" with a big smile and step into the frame. Stand next to the piece with a big smile, making it clear the photo is to include you. Make sure your body blocks part of the image. Just a thought.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I don't sell yet, but I completely understand. You put a lot of work into it, and someone just takes a picture of it. I think it is quite reasonable to put up a sign: "Art is copyrighted: no photos please."

On the other hand, a lot of people are just rude and think the rules don't apply to them. I have been in museums many times and there are signs posted "no flash photography" (because it can harm the art), and they just flash away. Or at a special exhibit at a gallery or museum and they say, "No photography" and people take photos anyway. I was at a presidential library, and Air Force One was there and you could walk through it. They said, "No photos inside Air Force One for security reasons", and while the docent was talking, this young woman and her boyfriend, both about 25 were taking a ton of pictures with their phones. I made a gesture to catch the docent's eye to point out the woman, and the docent just thought I was gesturing to the items so she talked more about them.

When I take photos at a museum, I check with the guard at that room first to see if it is okay, and I say I will not use flash.

I think it's stealing to take a photo of copyrighted art.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

I go to juried art shows, and there is always a rule against photography. That said, I don't think the person who photographs something at your booth will typically hang it on the wall at home. The person may have had an idea when looking at it, like there is some cool effect they want to remember and think further about, but that doesn't mean if they cannot photograph, they would buy it.
People should always ask, of course.
I work at a museum and visitors can photograph anything in our collection (though not loaned items), as long as they don't use a flash. These become part of their memories of going. I would be very surprised if even 1% of these photos are printed out and hung on walls.