WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Enthusiast

Computer processes

Hi--I don't know much about computers, but I'm slowly "getting it". Anyway, I hit "ctrl + alt + delete" to see what processes I had running. I was surprised to see quite a long list. Is it normal to have so many things going on? Just wondered if all this stuff was necessary, and if not, how I could trim down what's going on, for better performance. Here's a screenshot:

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Computer processes

Its usual to have a lot of processes running I am afraid. Whether you have things running that are not necessary I am afraid I would not know. The thing to look at is CPU usage ... most of that stuff is there but not doing much at the moment. The memory usage stuff I am afraid a lot of that looks to be Microsoft doing its thing ... maybe someone else will have more useful input.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 PM
State of Suspense

Hails from United States

I've taken the liberty of moving your thread over to the Computer and Technology forum as it was not really related to photography in any specific manner. There are always a lot of processes running on a Windows system, and your list doesn't look out of line. Hitting the old "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" lets you see the processes, but it sure doesn't give you much help. For a better view of things that is a bit more helpful, head on over to Microsoft and download and run the Sysinternals Process Viewer.

As Wendy said, the thing to look for is the CPU time the process is taking because that is the process hog that is slowing your system down. That's not to say that it isn't a legitimate program, just that it's the one sucking up the cycle times.

Oh, and another thing, if you ever wonder what a specific process is just do a web search on it. Odds are very good that there is an answer out there.

Ray
“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”- Alan Cohen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Unless you are a Geek with computers, I would suggest you leave the prunning alone. However, If you have room for more RAM, then I would add as much as the system can hold up to 3 gigs total for Win XP 32 and 4 gigs for Win XP 64. More Ram in each case is of no use, suggested is maximum each OS can handle.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Most running processes are started during the computer startup.
Some programs are overly impressed with their own importance and place small programs in memory at startup just to monitor when you might need them. Many are unneeded. Some processes could be malware.
Go to [url="http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php"] for an identification of these processes. You can use MS Config to disable these processes but it is much easier to download and use Startup Cop 3 from PC Magazine's Utility Library.
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,2806,2130,00.asp
There is a small charge less than $10. but before you pay, look at the other utilities there. It might be worth your while to subscribe to the utilities downloads. A new one comes out about once a month.