Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How to get the most from your paint tubes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Retiree

Sorry, maybe this has been posted before. Could not find. How do you get out every single little bit out of those expensive tubes of paint please?

contumacious

When my tubes are as empty as I can get them by squeezing them, I slice them open and scoop out the paint with a small palette knife.

You can unroll the end of crimped metal tubes.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Retiree

Well, I was doing what you guys suggested. I cut the tubes open with scissors then I tried to pry open the tubes with a knife, and take out the paint. Heck, I got more paint on my hands than anything else!:eek:

Ellis Ammons

You might try adding water until the paint liquifys and pours out. Put it in a small cup until it returns to regular consistency. You might want to add a little medium like gac 100 if it’s grainy feeling.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                    oil and acrylic paintings..

bluefish

some of your best work could be the finger paintings while emptying the tubes….:lol: :thumbsup:

You can use a paint tube wringer

Carol
                        "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
                        Moderator: Acrylic Forum
                        My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

contumacious

Well, I was doing what you guys suggested. I cut the tubes open with scissors then I tried to pry open the tubes with a knife, and take out the paint. Heck, I got more paint on my hands than anything else!:eek:

I squeeze all the paint down into the cap end of the tube using a dowel rod on a hard, flat surface with the cap on. I then snip the body of the tube off about 3/4 of an inch beyond the junction of the walls in a spot where there is obviously no paint. Holding that stubby piece in one hand, cap down, I open up the tube walls and dig the paint out with a small palette knife, like eating yogurt from one of those little foil covered cups. I don’t get enough on my fingers to be an issue. This is significantly easier and more effective then opening the bottom end of the tube. There is so little paint left in the flattened tube piece that was cut off, there is no point even looking in there.

BeeCeeEss

I agree with Lady Carol. I’ve used a tube wringer for years. It’s about the neatest and easiest way to squeeze every bit of paint out of the tube. I have an older one that is made completely of metal. The newer, cheapie plastic ones don’t work as well (but they do work). Plastic gears will strip and break. Metal ones won’t. The metal one I have is so strong that it would completely crush the tube like a steam roller if I didn’t back off.

The best part is, my hands stay clean.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Retiree

Thank you all! I’m going to look for that tube wringer.

~JMW~

That’s why I get paint in the plastic jars/ tubs.
                                        I can dip my knife or brush into the container if I want to…
                                        Seems like the paint doesn’t dry out when it is in the container like that vs putting it out even on a wet palette.. I dip out a blob when I want to mix a color and only what I need to use on that area & color…
                                        I use the plastic wrap that is on canvases to make an extra layer of seal under the plastic lids, the lids still screws on over 2-3 layers of the plastic film..

~Joy~

Retiree

That’s why I get paint in the plastic jars/ tubs.
                                            I can dip my knife or brush into the container if I want to…
                                            Seems like the paint doesn’t dry out when it is in the container like that vs putting it out even on a wet palette.. I dip out a blob when I want to mix a color and only what I need to use on that area & color…
                                            I use the plastic wrap that is on canvases to make an extra layer of seal under the plastic lids, the lids still screws on over 2-3 layers of the plastic film..

I will have to check out these jars/tubs. Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.