WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 12:33 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: First indirect method attempt

I don't know about that background but i think the dress works pretty well. Let me know what you think. I was torn between this violet and a cool minty green. I can always paint over it, but i have to tell you that the more i look at it, especially on screen, more power it seems to project. The addition of surrounding colors add life and context to the remainder of the project. I hope its now easier to lay in the facial temperatures.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 12:34 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

So be honest with me. Is the haloing effect too much? Cheesy even? Maybe I just need to tone it down.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

In my opinion, the background distracts from the face. Backgrounds in portraits can be tricky, but generally speaking, simpler is usually better.

Last edited by wdaniels : 01-27-2018 at 01:43 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 04:28 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

You are right. It was too much. I will try something else. Here it is with a verdaccio glaze.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

Better
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:47 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I have applied the first glaze to the hair and laid in another background, which i like so far. Let me know what you think while it is still wet. I applied it with a knife so its variegated and the paint was not thoroughly mixed. Its indigo with some black and white so its not as blue as it looks here.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 AM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I have glazed it and wiped it down 4 times. The first two times I had trouble getting the paint to stick. It was actually beading up like it was water on oil, or vice versa. I finally decided (might be wrong) that it was the stand oil in my medium. I bought a book which states that stand oil creates a shiny enamel finish, which is true, and probably makes it difficult to paint over (my conclusion). It appears to be fine when used in the direct method because everything stays wet. I switched to linseed oil and it seems to work fine.
In the process of wiping it down I did some damage so I had to repaint the underlayer. I used a fairly traditional earth tone mix which is much greener than it appears in this photo. I will treat it as the verdaccio. There is some burnt umber and yellow ochre in the mix so it qualifies as warm over cool.
I will let it dry and start the temperature glazes next. See you closer to March. Please offer any suggestions you may have.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

looking good
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 AM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thank you Mr Daniels. I appreciate the feedback. I read a book by the artist at the following link and have learned much regarding Indirect painting. I hope you like it.
https://youtu.be/HQjwtyOITKY
Here is my progress today. I am beginning to understand just how little paint is in each layer. I can see why this method was so popular when paint was so scarce.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2018, 04:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Be careful with the layering effect on the tone. At her right eye (left on image) the eye pit depression from the nose lost some of value contrast to the rest of image in that last layer of yours. It is still ok but if your layering continues to degrade the value contrast you might need to do an adjustment layer to avoid flattening the image
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks Tiago. Thats a good catch. Based on my latest glaze, it is apparent that in the next step I will need to remodel the entire face and bring the values back up. Can you tell I covered all the skin with another glaze. It is not so clear in the photo. I like to use the softest acrylic wash brush I own for glazing. I get the smoothest, most even application with it. I apply the glaze, then treat the brush with medium, squeeze it out, and work the paint so the coat is even. There is a real danger in overworking the glaze. If it starts to get tacky, it will tend to clump. I actually glazed it three times and wiped it off twice. Thanks to everyone for looking. Please offer any tips or tricks that might help me.

Last edited by MDerby : 02-19-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: improved pic
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Cazenovia, NY

Hails from United States

Yes, in practice, the indirect process isn't just about layering glazes. Things can get too dark before you know it so you have to keep going back and forth adjusting values. Looking good so far though.