Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Color mixing is harder than it looks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    3igAnt

Hello,

I have some questions about color mixing. I hope someone can enlighten me about it.

It is said that adding complementary color to a color creates a grey color. So what that really means? For example I got Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue and Phthalo Blue. I searched in the internet for complementery color for these blues but it is like so complex for me. Because there are many different complementry color of a color. So I decided to take Vermillion as a complementry color for all these three shades of blue. Because Vermillion seems me like a middle tone blue between a red and an orange. It is like an orangish red color so I thought that it might work best for all these blues as a complementary. But,

1-I add some Vermillion to all these blues and the blues become darker. But I reall do not know what is that for? Ok I undertand that compementary colors are mixed one in another to maket them darker but why we cannot just add black to make them darker?

2-Please check the painting of Amaldus Clarin Nielsen at this link: https://www.alamy.com/9-amaldus-nielsen-nes-hardanger-image210940716.html
        His colors look so much neutral and beautiful. What is the secret here? Using complementary colors corretly or something else?

3-What complemenery color really means?

I am trying to figure out how to make the colors in my paintings closer to the colors in real nature.

Thanks. All the best.

In a very simplified way.. if you want to darken a color (darken as in how they look when they receive less light.. as in a shadow) you do it by mixing the opposite side of the color wheel (because that color will absorb exactly the light that your current color is reflecting the most).

Color theory is much larger than just that (And a lot of the things are not in fact sicentific.. as for example cold and warm balance etc…).

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

contumacious

I am trying to figure out how to make the colors in my paintings closer to the colors in real nature.

Of all the color mixing instruction I have seen on the internet, Mark Carder’s offerings are the easiest for me to understand. At first it takes a lot of time and effort but the more you do it the easier it gets. Until you realize you no longer need it, using a color checker as shown on drawmixpaint.com, or something less fancy like a strip of wood, will help you immensely as you learn to mix colors, whether working from life or a photo. I find that a fairly large, at least 8×10, photo helps me match colors more easily than trying to match them on a computer monitor.

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/classes/online/step-6-beginning-to-mix-colors.html

He has 144 free videos on YouTube. His painting methods are also quite good, but might not fit your style. If they are different from your style, I feel it would be worth going through his free course regardless if you want to learn more than color mixing. The most instructive painting technique I got out of his videos was to NOT mix your brush strokes. Lay them down and leave them as is. The results might not be something you like, but you will learn a lot by sticking to it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawMixPaint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuZ0t5FR9f0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeyYXMl934g

Gigalot

Hello,

IOk I undertand that compementary colors are mixed one in another to maket them darker but why we cannot just add black to make them darker?

However, you can add black to make a paint darker. The easy way to get proper color mix. Just study CMYK color system:
                1. C+M=Violet
                2. C+Y=Green
                3. Y+M=Red
                4. Any color + Black = Darker color
                5. Y+Black = Dull Green
                6. Orange + Black = Brown
                7 Red + Black = Red-brown.

Pinguino

The result of mixing two colors depends on the specific pigments. It also depends on how transparent the colors are (some pigments can be prepared to be more or less transparent, by different manufacturers).

Generally speaking “mixing complements” will produce a darker result, if the colors are transparent. Think of light partially penetrating the mixture, and thus encountering many particles of each pigment. The result is as close to being “subtractive” as you can get. But if the colors are opaque, then some light will interact with only one or a few particles, before being bounced back out. In this case, the mixture has both a “subtractive” component and an “additive” component. It is why mixtures of opaque colors are more likely to become muddy.

The purpose of a mixing complement is to reduce chroma. This applies whether the colors are transparent or opaque. As an exercise, start with the Vermilion (hue, I presume). I use PR255 (Scarlet Lake) which is similar. This is a very chromatic orange-red. Add just a tiny touch of a blue or green color; the optimal color depends on exactly what you have. Mix well. Notice that the Vermilion color is still orange-red, but is duller than before. If your green-blue is well-chosen, the mixture will dull down to a color like Venetian Red, which is still at approximately the same hue angle. Then it will dull down even more, to a chocolate brown color. If your colors are close to transparent, and if the colors are true mixing complements, it can become close to black.

But to see the above effect to best advantage, you might have to add just a tiny touch of white as you go along. This is because, if the two colors are true complements and transparent, the mixture gets darker, which obscures the fact that (even at constant lightness value) it is losing chroma and becoming grayer.

In the opposite case, a color such as Phthalo Blue is a bit too chromatically shocking for sky blue, regardless of the amount of white added. The excessive chroma can be knocked down, using a mixing complement. For example, I have used Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) dulled with Venetian Red, and Indanthrone Blue dulled with Raw Umber, to provide a varied range of sky blues (also with white, of course). The chromatic brilliance and hue angle are easily controlled this way.

Raffless

Grey doesnt equate to black and white if thats what your thinking. You can have coloured greys. A complimentary colour helps move the colour towards a greyer version of the starting colour. Grey as in duller more muted. Why you ask? Because in nature most things are a grey. You could just use black and white but then you will lose chroma fast. Plus many blacks arent entirely black. Many are blue. Not what you may want.

Of all the color mixing instruction I have seen on the internet, Mark Carder’s offerings are the easiest for me to understand. At first it takes a lot of time and effort but the more you do it the easier it gets. Until you realize you no longer need it, using a color checker as shown on drawmixpaint.com, or something less fancy like a strip of wood, will help you immensely as you learn to mix colors, whether working from life or a photo. I find that a fairly large, at least 8×10, photo helps me match colors more easily than trying to match them on a computer monitor.

[URL]http://www.drawmixpaint.com/[/URL]

[URL]http://www.drawmixpaint.com/classes/online/step-6-beginning-to-mix-colors.html[/URL]

He has 144 free videos on YouTube. His painting methods are also quite good, but might not fit your style. If they are different from your style, I feel it would be worth going through his free course regardless if you want to learn more than color mixing. The most instructive painting technique I got out of his videos was to NOT mix your brush strokes. Lay them down and leave them as is. The results might not be something you like, but you will learn a lot by sticking to it.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawMixPaint[/URL]

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuZ0t5FR9f0[/URL]

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeyYXMl934g[/URL]

that dude is indeed a really good source, I had watched a few of his videos and learned quite a bit.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Gigalot

many blacks arent entirely black. Many are blue. Not what you may want.

Blacks are Black! :wave:

Raffless

Blacks are Black! :wave:

Only the New Zealand rugby team are All Blacks :lol:

KEVIN$

I’ve found that I’m good at mixing colors and as long as they are wet the painting looks good. It’s after it dries and the colors turn lighter and dull that I get frustrated and start to hate what it looks like. I have to wait a long time for it to dry before adding a varnish over it in order to bring back some of the color and hope it still looks nice.

Photoshop: When I copy a digital photo one thing I started doing is I take a color sample of the area in a photo I’m copying (eye dropper tool) then create a new drawing file and fill in a 2″ square box with that color. I do this for all the areas I want to copy essentially making a color pallet that has all the colors I want then I print this color pallet on some photo paper. This helps me get the color close when mixing. My printer doesn’t produce the exact color on my monitor but it’s close enough that I can adjust the paint color if needed.

ks

Kevin Slaby
                                    2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                                    http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

AnnieA

It’s important to understand the difference between a visual complement and a mixing complement, as pigments can behave in surprising and unanticipated ways. Although it’s about watercolor, I’ve found the Handprint site’s tables and color wheel to be especially useful, as it’s based on pigment, not visual hues. Here’s the link: https://handprint.com/HP/WCL/color16.html
                                        You have to scroll down a bit for the table and further still for the color wheel, which you can click to enlarge. Although the creator of the site, Bruce McEvoy, says that pigments in water color aren’t equivalent to the same pigment in oil paints or acrylics, I’ve found his tables and the color wheel to be very useful. Note that a lot of his information is very technical, but the chart and color wheel are pretty much self-explanatory.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

One easy and scientific way to understand color mixing is to read the Munsell color chart and the use of complementary and analogous colors. Also you have to learn what is hue, chroma and value. Paul Foxton is the guy who is an expert mixing colors.

dlWood

The various links already posted are really informative and I would like to add one more by Dan Scott. Grayed, Muted, Desaturated color is what I think you are looking for help in. But, it also helps if you are familiar with the color wheel and Bruce MacAvoy’s link above at his Handprint site is extremely helpful in more than just watercolor (as has been mentioned already).

Dan’s explanation of the ‘why’ to use grayed colors is easy to understand and there’s some photo’s to show colors on his palette, including the infamous red square in a green square box – but shown at full chroma and half chroma for the green to emphasize the use of desaturated colors. It is a quick read.
                                            His article link is:

https://drawpaintacademy.com/the-beauty-of-muted-colors/

(Dan’s blog of free articles may be helpful too:

https://drawpaintacademy.com/blog/ )

Also, one of our members of Wet Canvas, Dianne Mize, also has a very good 10 minute video on You Tube about how to neutralize colors that might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ZDL7X24Cc&t=34s

Amaldus Nielsen’s paintings are very beautiful, and they seem to be filled with muted colors – but his limited use of brighter colors exemplifies (imho) what Dan Scott’s article also says:

“When you use a base of muted colors, you have much more control over where you direct people to look in your painting, as you can use relatively more color and detail around your focal point.”

Happy Color Explorations! :wave:

~Debra
                                            “When I sit down to make a sketch from nature, the first thing I try to do is to forget that I have ever seen a picture.” [/I][/COLOR]
                                            - -John Constable

Trond

Pigments are indeed different and will behave very differently from much of the “theoretical” color mixing. For instance, I once tried real azurite blue, and it was the weakest tinting blue I have ever encountered. I recommend getting a small palette of colors and stick to it for a while. You could try a cool red, a warm red, a cool blue, a warm blue, a bright lemony yellow, a warmer orange-like yellow, white and an earth and/or a black. Mix like crazy until you start getting a feel for it.

AllisonR

To blue I may add vermillion, or vermillion and cad yellow if I want a warm neutral. Or I add a krapplak (same as madder or rose), or a raw umber if I want a cool neutral. There are a thousand options.

My 2 cents –
                                                    you don’t need 3 blues, and 3 reds and 3 greens and a ton of colors on your palette. It just makes your thousand options turn into millions and so overwhelming you won’t learn anything. Pick a simple palette with 4-8 colors – the Zorn palette, or the FAA atelier palette, or the saturated primary palette… Stick with that palette for a few years. Learn how to mix all the colors you need with those colors. Because it isn’t overwhelming, you will learn this palette intimately and you will know how to mix 98% of the colors you want. And after 20 or however many paintings, then you will figure out if certain colors are truly impossible with your palette, and then you can add a special color for those paintings that need something extra.

For example my palette is black, burnt umber, ultramarine, madder, vermillion, yellow ochre, cad yellow, and white. Sometimes less colors. Notice for example no green. I can mix any green with this palette – pure neon green with cad yellow and ultramarine, natural greens with black and cad yellow, or blue and yellow ochre…. 98% of the time I can mix every color I need for a painting. If I have something really unusual, like an icy mint blue shirt, I can swap out the ultramarine with a cobalt or schevningsblue for that painting.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.