Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Emerald Green -GENUINE—POISON, DO NOT USE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Demaree

Hello, friends of wetcanvas!

I recently [through alot of digging], found a website online that offers Emerald Green [Copper(II)-acetoarsenite] in powder form.

I am fully aware of all of its risks, I myself have mulled genuine vermilion [mercuric sulphide], Flake White [Lead Carbonate], Flemish White [Lead Sulfate], and Galena [Lead Sulphide]

I have a respirator, goggles, gloves, and a well ventilated area all prepared to create this paint.

I ordered 1 lb of the stuff, so it will likely last me a long while.

I plan on doing alot of test strips with it, possibly documenting it in a blog/ video setting and possibly even comparing it to the hues that popular brands offer for it, as well as comparing it to its natural form, ” conichalcite ” to show the contrast between natural, synthetic, and hue. Altho emerald green in its natural form is more dull [similar to lapis vs ultramarine], and was primarily only believed to be used by the romans.

So emerald green appears to have prior usage, altho in a natural mineral form, before its 19th century stint.

I will keep you guys posted once I recieve the pigment and mull it into a paint. I will be using CP-linseed and will be painting with a custom medium of mine consisting of 50% Sun thickened linseed oil and 50% amber resin varnish.

I feel that the oil content and amber resin in the paint film will be a good isolating barrier for the paint, it works out good for me because I use this medium frequently these days. The paint is a thick/flowing syrupy consistency and the paint film dries with a very subtle yellow tinge to the paint film color.

I’ll post back in here once I have received the stuff
        and have made a batch+ tubed it.

Should be within 2 weeks from now

My Website - www.rdemaree.com

osw

How do you dispose of the toxic waste after your process? Also, how do you clean your brushes?

Anonymous

Brian has an old tube of real Emerald Green, as seen in this thread.

Mythrill

Just wearing a respirator is not enough in the specific case of Emerald Green (PG 21). You also have to make sure fumes won’t build up. For example, in the case of pigment waste, you have to seal it in an airtight container. Pets and small children that get near the fumes will be poisoned. And if you dare paint with it, you have to varnish your paint too so that it won’t react with the open air and poison you.

DebbieO

I have to ask: why?

C&C always welcome!

Mythrill

I have to ask: why?

Because Emerald Green (PG 21) is an arsenic derivative, and arsenic pigments release vapors that build up in the air and are extremely toxic. Aside from permanence issues (they’re all fugitive), toxicity is another reason they are not used today.

DebbieO

Because Emerald Green (PG 21) is an arsenic derivative, and arsenic pigments release vapors that build up in the air and are extremely toxic. Aside from permanence issues (they’re all fugitive), toxicity is another reason they are not used today.

Sorry Mythrill, I meant to ask: why use/make Emerald green, given the points made in your post? :)

C&C always welcome!

I have edited the title of this thread to hopefully deter people from using this extremely poisonous pigment.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

koumk

1. There is a thread under the technical forum named “Leaded or Unleaded”. In page 3 there is a discussion about PG21. I suggest that you read the posts by Gigalot. Personally I agree with him :thumbsup:

2. DebbieO ask why. The answer is simple: because want and we can , so simple. Personally i am not interested in PG21. I use very rare green paints and i dont like the look of PG21. If someone wants to use it I will tell him/her “Go for it, but be carefull”

3. PG21 is just a pigment-paint. Use it with responsibility and it will be “your best friend” . Use it iresponsibe and it will kill you or your children or your pets

Kostas

JCannon

DebbieO, you might as well ask: Why do people eat Fugu? Why do people climb up vertical cliffs? Why do people bungee jump? Why do people backpack into remote areas? Why do people wrestle alligators? Why do people investigate haunted houses? Why does a man with a heart condition try to maintain a political blog in a year like THIS?

I would love to do The World’s Most Dangerous Panting, using nothing but arsenic green, flake white, vermillion, orpiment, realgar, uranium yellow, azurite, cobalt blue and Prussian blue. The solvent would be pure turpentine; the oil medium would have siccatives, including lead and cobalt. The frame would have rusty razor blades embedded into it.

It’s a dude thing. You wouldn’t understand.

Mythrill

3. PG21 is just a pigment. Use it with responsibility and it will be “your best friend” . Use it iresponsibe and it will kill you or your children or your pets.

Are you sure you want to take the risk of poisoning your kids or someone else’s kids merely by poisonous fumes, though?

This is not something that will poison you just by skin absorption or eating, like Cadmiums (PY 35; PR 108) or Lead White (PW 1). It’s something that’s easily turned into arsenic gas when in contact with mold or dampness. So it’s hard to control the exposure of someone else to this pigment.

bjr001

I have edited the title of this thread to hopefully deter people from using this extremely poisonous pigment.

Madam, please go on-line and tell me of all the places that sell this pigment. Note how the original poster mentioned how difficult it was. He didn’t even post a link to this site. You make sound as if emerald green PG21 in crystal form is available at every convenience store as a common item. This is the air of paranoia and ignorance that has engulfed the fine art of oil painting. You have over reacted in the title. People are not incompetent boobs.

karenlee

“… paranoia and ignorance that has engulfed the fine art of oil painting. You have over reacted in the title. People are not incompetent boobs.”

CONTRARY TO ALL APPEARANCES, THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR PSYCHIATRIC DIAGNOSES. PLEASE LIMIT YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO FACTUAL AND VERIFIABLE STATEMENTS.

Because of the level of danger to oneself AND OTHERS with this pigment, and the amount of newbies who want to mix and match and experiment, yes, absolutely this needs a deterring warning.

As a moderator of this forum, with something this dangerous I would feel personally responsible if I did NOT put a warning here.

This stuff is NOT lead, NOT cadmium, this is something else entirely and I see no reason to expose yourself AND OTHERS to something so dangerous because you want to play chemist and be esoteric.

People are not incompetent boobs.

yes they are.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

sabana

I like challenges
                                                        Its a reason to get out of bed.

But if your going to endanger anyone else….

Please read the history of Emerald Green once again. It is not fable or myth. It is unstable, and given the right conditions deadly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 260 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Emerald Green -GENUINE—POISON, DO NOT USE’ is closed to new replies.