Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking printing using recycled materials

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bridog

details and more photos/process description at http://myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.ca/2018/04/printing-plate-from-recycled-plastic.html

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Great work!

I’ve always been a big fan of using alternative materials and methods for making prints. There are innumerable ways to create images…. and by using otherwise wasted materials, you have expanded our knowledge even further.

I am reminded of the Resistance Poster and Leaflet printers in WWII and later during the cold war who kept the messages of freedom and hope alive by using whatever materials were available. They used silk screen, wood blocks, homemade presses, hand-mixed inks, wrapping paper, and whatever else they could lay their hands on to produce anti-Nazi and anti-communist messaging. When the Nazis or Russians outlawed the materials needed for their work, they switched over to other alternatives.

I’ve got a print in my collection done in Norway during the occupation. It looks like it was done using a small block of irregularly shaped scrap metal, etched by some acid (maybe battery acid) and printed (more actually “stamped”) onto the back of a postcard. It reads roughly as “Remember, the NAZIs will not be here forever. Stay Faithful. Be Strong. Restist. FREE NORWAY” and has a beautiful little scenic landscape.

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

Great blog! I thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

That turned out beautifully.

wcp, that’s interesting. I didn’t know that.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.