Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Selling Prints vs. Originals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    osweetnature

Do you think that it is easier to sell prints or originals of your artwork? I have sold some of both in the past. But I have a large variety of work and I am thinking of focusing on selling prints. Including large giclee canvas prints as well as prints of small watercolor paintings. I am looking at different venues for selling. I have online selling, the occasional gallery show, but I have never fully invested myself in selling prints before. I’m also wondering if there are any disadvantages to selling prints in terms of then selling the originals to someone else. I hold the copyrights and thus the right to sell prints of anything, but what about the ethics for the person who bought the original?

Peace, love, and joy
        KarlaBeattyArt

artbymdp

The question should be “Is it more profitable to sell prints or originals of your artwork?” IMO in the long run you are better off establishing yourself as an artist that sells originals. If you are going to sell prints, the profit margin is very low and the effort to promote them is not much different than selling originals. Just do not undersell yourself on the price of originals.

virgil carter

With the various print on demand Internet sites, such as FineArtAmerica (and others), selling various sized prints is very easy when someone wants a print. The same holds true for local printers with giclee equipment.

Selling originals and selling prints really means two separate marketing efforts aimed at very different audiences.

Good luck with your art!

Sling paint,
                Virgil

Sling paint,
                Virgil Carter
                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Harold Roth

I have sold way more prints than originals, but I have made way more from selling originals. So it’s kind of a toss-up. Although if I HAD to give one up, it would definitely be the prints. I have my own printer and paper and I know pretty much what I am doing with the printer, but even so, prints are kind of a PIA and they eat up plenty of time and cause frustration. If I were selling more originals, I would not be selling prints. I would instead be painting more small paintings. I still think about doing that and probably will in the future. It’s just that for me, it is difficult to produce a very small painting that is worth looking at. It’s a whole different ballgame than making a painting that is “normal” size for me, which is 18 x 24″ or larger.

contumacious

Some people will never or very rarely buy an original painting and then only if it is seriously under priced, close to the same as a print. Others will literally never buy a (reproduction) print regardless of the cost!

I offer prints as a way to get my art out there in the hands of those who can’t afford an original or someone who might want a high quality image of a piece that has already been sold or various other reasons. Some customers who bought cheaper prints from me or were given one, returned years later and bought originals when their art budget had increased.

I don’t feel like offering prints hurts the sales of my originals since as mentioned above, they are usually being purchased by an entirely different sector of buyers. Ideally I would like to have on hand, several ready to take home poly bagged prints in various sizes from greeting card format to actual size, of every piece of art I have hanging in a gallery plus several that aren’t hanging at the time, but most galleries I work with won’t allow that.

Personally I do not want to own or display any reproductions of anyone’s art, but I try not to look down my nose at those who are happy with a print.

Robin

I’m a recent convert to selling reproduction prints, and my goal is to paint more for that market. I was militantly against them for years.

Last year I invested in all of the materials and the printer I needed to print them myself, I made my investment money back within six months. An interesting aside, the materials costs for prints is higher than my costs for an original!

I also include a card advertising my custom pet portraits with prints I sell, and have picked up some commissions that way.

I do my printing at the end of the day, when I’m toast with painting. I print a bunch and insert them in their clear sleeves and in their envelope so when they sell, I just have to print a packing slip and address envelope off they go.

I do not market them, I just list them. Amazon is my best venue, then etsy then ebay, but Amazon by far is the best for me so far.

Robin

Robin

Also, last month I made a dedicated prints station. All of my supplies are there, all of my printed prints, across the studio from my easel, next to my shipping station. Organizing that really makes it a breeze.

Also adding that the reason I am heading that way is that as I am getting older, I can see that the reality is that one day I won’t be able to make money actually painting. My (already bad) eyesight will go, or my hands or my back. Anyone in my family can make prints from my paintings, and I will have a way to bring in money.

If I were younger, I wouldn’t go in this direction.

Robin

Harold Roth

That is a good idea about enclosing a card about your custom pet portraits with the prints. I need to do that.

Re the eye thing, I have that going on as well, which is shaking out as a change in my painting style. But I have also been thinking about switching to ceramics or sculpture–more touch and less visual. Have you thought of that?

Robin

Harold, no, because I have zero interest in that. I’m interested in doing more woodblock printing, though.

I see the repro prints as an insurance policy, if they do well, I can take a chance that if I raise my commission prices a LOT, I’ll sell fewer but at the same revenue. I am seeing trending that way, I am selling mostly large commissions now, and they are priced higher.

But if I’m wrong, I’ll still have money to live out the last years of life on.

Robin

Harold Roth

It’s terrific to hear you are seeing a trend toward larger commissions! Personally, I would love to work larger, and on my most recent splurge on art stuff, I bought some 40 x 40″ canvases to try with oils.

It’s good to hear you will still have money for later years of life. I can dismantle my non-art shop somewhat for that and make enough, but I also get a small amount of royalties from my book. That would be enough to scrape by, but I am hoping that some art income would get me to a bit more comfortable level.

Robin

Oh, I love larger! I think little ones are the very hardest. Let us know how you make out once you get to them!!

Robin

Harold Roth
                                                    JAWS

I do a limited run of 150 22×28 and 150 14×18 of most of my paintings. I also get a ton of post cards printed. I use a local printer for all my work.

I make about the same on the 300 prints as I do the originals after you factor everything in. The down side of the past cards are boxing them, but there are plenty of people that will buy them to hang onto for years.

artbymdp

I do a limited run of 150 22×28 and 150 14×18 of most of my paintings. I also get a ton of post cards printed. I use a local printer for all my work.

I make about the same on the 300 prints as I do the originals after you factor everything in. The down side of the past cards are boxing them, but there are plenty of people that will buy them to hang onto for years.

(For my own purposes since I do not know your pricing structure): 300 to 1 sounds like a high ratio to make prints worth while. I never sold prints but would expect to make between $10-$20 profit per print. I also cannot imagine selling 300 prints. (Congratulations to you for your success.) That would make my original worth more than $3000 and possibly over $6000 (which will never happen for me). Am I not understanding correctly???

virgil carter

That’s a huge inventory and investment for a single painting…or even for multiple paintings. Hope you regularly sell out!

sling paint,
                                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                                Virgil Carter
                                                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Selling Prints vs. Originals’ is closed to new replies.