Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera 3 early gouache attempts ~

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joey M

Hey, just want to share these three illustrations. I’m using Reeves gouache, which I know is student grade, but I’ve had these laying around for a few years so why not?
        I’m kinda happy with the results but I have a lott to learn.

The cinnamon sticks in the jar was quite difficult to do, so it’s not great. It’s on 9X12 watercolor paper. Probably shouldn’t have painted the table through the glass.

The others are an opah fish, and a white flower. Both 3.5X2.5″ paper. Like trading cards.

[/url] [/url] [/url]

~ Joey Metcalf. Twin Cove Art youtube.

Joey M

Oops. Peppermint* sticks.

I think they are good, especially the cinnamon sticks. There was a learning curve to gouache for me. Looks to me like you are mastering it pretty quickly. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Joey M

That’s very motivating, thanks! Because it’s a rather difficult medium I’m excited to master it over time.

Welcome, Joey

I agree with Gary and think gouache has a very steep learning curve and I hate to burst your bubble, but I don’t think anyone totally masters it.

However, you’re well on your way and I imagine your determination will soon have you painting more masterpieces than bloopers!

ABA

Boafamily

Welcome and they are very nice and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Joey M

Ok, I see haha. Well I’ll just try to get close to mastering it. I appreciate your comment.
                        And thank you Boa!

llawrence

Nicely done. I can see how those candy sticks in the jar would have been difficult, but you pulled it off.

I didn’t personally care for the Reeves gouaches, but some of my students have gotten by fine with them, and one of them recently even gave a rave review. Whatever works, right?

Joey M

Thank you!
                                Yeah, they’re okay, but I recently purchased another brand. I found the Reeves to not be exactly opaque enough to be considered a proper gouache.
                                I’m trying Talens “Art Creation” Gouache currently.

Joey M

I’m getting a bit better I think! This is another mini painting, done with Royal Talens “Art Creation” & Winsor & Newton Designer Gouache.

laika

Good job on the bear! Maybe the better paints worked better for what you had in mind from an opaque media.

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                        - Otto Rank

Joey M

Indeed I think so! Appreciate the comment. I’ve also purchased some tubes of true artist quality paints recently.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.