WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

Re: (another)Photo and Painting thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
What are your 'other reasons'?
Mostly the perspective. It's a big part of the charm of the photo, imo - but I was worried it wouldn't play in a painting. It looks too forced. The figure too small, the street narrowing too extreme in the distance. The verticals on the sides of the frame not perpendicular and angling out. The image looks the way a camera sees the world, not the way we experience or expect it to look in a painting. When you "take" a photo, that's what you get and you understand and accept that. But when you "make" a painting or at least when I make a painting I don't want it to look the way a camera sees the world I want it to look the way I see the world. Now that's not an issue with every photo, but one with odd perspectives such as this, I think it can be. So I've corrected those things now, I wasn't sure I could, so hopefully it will turn into a good painting.

The other issue is the position of the pedestrian. Will it look too contrived in a painting. Now that I've adjusted the perspective it seems to work well where it is, but the is court still out on that. Ballance seems to be on target and I can easily adjust as needed by working the pavement patches, adding poles, signage, cars, colors to make it overall appealing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Even if the reference is flawed there is more than one painting to extract out of it. Here's a crop that exploits the perspective and imho supports both the (what should be painted yellow traffic light and figure. You could even crop it a lot tighter than that so that the traffic light takes up a whole quarter of the plane. -

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery

Last edited by Artchrispy : 02-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Mostly the perspective. It's a big part of the charm of the photo, imo - but I was worried it wouldn't play in a painting. It looks too forced. The figure too small, the street narrowing too extreme in the distance. The verticals on the sides of the frame not perpendicular and angling out. The image looks the way a camera sees the world, not the way we experience or expect it to look in a painting. When you "take" a photo, that's what you get and you understand and accept that. But when you "make" a painting or at least when I make a painting I don't want it to look the way a camera sees the world I want it to look the way I see the world. Now that's not an issue with every photo, but one with odd perspectives such as this, I think it can be. So I've corrected those things now, I wasn't sure I could, so hopefully it will turn into a good painting.

The other issue is the position of the pedestrian. Will it look too contrived in a painting. Now that I've adjusted the perspective it seems to work well where it is, but the is court still out on that. Ballance seems to be on target and I can easily adjust as needed by working the pavement patches, adding poles, signage, cars, colors to make it overall appealing.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess all you can do is paint it and see how it turns out.
I have a photo from about 8 years ago which I've wanted to paint since I took it. I could change several things in it and make it into what I'd describe as a decent painting. It's quite plain and the memory for me probably holds more emotion than I could portray with paint.

The lady in the photo was in a side street just off the main square in Florence. There are fountains with coins in them and boxes in all the churches containing banknotes and coins. Yet in this woman's cup not 20 metres away, there was nothing. How could I possibly portray that?
I don't mean to hijack your thread with this image. I just more or less have the same dilemma.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
How do you take a break from today? It will be today where ever you go.

Please forgive my lack of articulation. From today, my intentions are to take a short break from posting here. Of course, I shall miss you.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

As we shall you.
You are right, you probably could not portray the story with a painting and I'm betting that her cup wasn't empty when you left.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Burnley, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artchrispy
Even if the reference is flawed there is more than one painting to extract out of it. Here's a crop that exploits the perspective and imho supports both the (what should be painted yellow traffic light and figure. You could even crop it a lot tighter than that so that the traffic light takes up a whole quarter of the plane. -

Agreed, I think this works well.

Quote:
The lady in the photo was in a side street just off the main square in Florence. There are fountains with coins in them and boxes in all the churches containing banknotes and coins. Yet in this woman's cup not 20 metres away, there was nothing. How could I possibly portray that?
You can't... but maybe you could possibly add a couple of well dressed people, maybe deep in conversation with each other, walking past and ignoring her plight and suggest a similar emotion?

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

I like the photo and think there are quite a few juicy elements to it that would make for a good painting. If you decide to go ahead would you consider doing a WIP for us.

Ian..that is a very powerful photo!

We will miss you

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
curious to know why you don't think it would make a good painting?

Too "busy". There are about 3 or 4 centers of interest in the scene. If you paint this as it is, you will have about 5 rather good paintings. The sad part will be that they will all be on one canvas!

Just my opinion. Whoever suggested "Don't paint it", offered some rather good advice, I think.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artchrispy
I like this crop. It works. But to me it's more of a poster than a painting. BTW I LOVE posters. I often making paintings that are actually posters in disguise. But this time out I want to make a painting.

A poster grabs you from across the room, tells you all you need to know then lets you go - hopefully with a strong impression.

A painting gets your attention from across the room but lures you in then gives you some eye candy and something to mull over as you leave.

This is how I'm using the terms and making the distinctions between a poster and a painting - obviously there are as many examples that break that definition as follow, but it's just meant to be a shorthand for discussion.

Last edited by theBongolian : 02-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess all you can do is paint it and see how it turns out.
.... It's quite plain and the memory for me probably holds more emotion than I could portray with paint. The lady in the photo was in a side street just off the main square in Florence. There are fountains with coins in them and boxes in all the churches containing banknotes and coins. Yet in this woman's cup not 20 metres away, there was nothing. How could I possibly portray that? .
This is one way ---

This is a photograph from the Ascended Master street photographer, Gary Winogrand. It was taken outside a Veterans hall. No one can bear to look at the legless man and will do whatever it takes to look away even if they have to look up at the sky.

This is a powerful photograph by any measure - but would it make a good painting? Probably not. The power is that it was REAL. It was 'taken' not made. If you made this a painting - imo it would come across as maudlin, preachy,contrived, --

IF you cropped the photo to just the leggless man - it would be what is called in street photography jargon as "a bum shot" -"low hanging fruit" also exploitive and heartless. It is the context that makes this classic.
Could the crop make a good painting. Perhaps - in the hands of a skilled portraitist. But from a purely aesthetic point of view, would you want that hanging in your living room?

What struck me about the woman in your photo, was how clean she was. Her nails look like they've been manicured. The cup looks fresh out of a dispenser. The woman's clothing is modest but in pristine condition and color coordinated. Her hands not outstretch for help, but folded in prayer. But we don't see her face or any context so it's hard to know her story.

I think for this to be a painting it needs the context you described but didn't photograph. I see the painting at first view as a beautiful fountain in a pristine town square. On closer inspection a few tourists chatting, tossing coins. And then to the side, a woman - not a bum, not destitute, -just as you've photographed her - lying prone in the street, her hands clasped in prayer, a cup beside her. Not asking for mercy for herself, but charity for a cause.

I think that could work as a painting whereas Winogrand's would not because first it would be an aesthetically pleasing painting. The woman would be there to be discovered but the fountain would serve as the book cover, the opening paragraph. The woman is the hook at the end of the chapter. We leave the painting after a good read and want to know more.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
Too "busy". There are about 3 or 4 centers of interest in the scene. If you paint this as it is, you will have about 5 rather good paintings. The sad part will be that they will all be on one canvas!Just my opinion. Whoever suggested "Don't paint it", offered some rather good advice, I think.
First let me say I am a big fan of yours, I would pay money and wait in line to see your work.

Having said that YOU'RE WRONG! -(joking). There may be several paintings in the photo, but they're not the one I want to paint. It will be a "busy" painting, but I don't think it will be cluttered or confusing. Keep in mind that I'll be removing elements, such as some of the cars, the clutter on the sidewalk, some of the signage, and significantly most of the patchwork on the street. Also, especially when painted - there will be two clear planes of interest - the foreground of the trafic light, crossway - and the b.g. the receding street and graphic road markings.

I respect your advice, but being the petulant child that I am will proceed in spite of it.

Thank you for all you've given back to the community.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Black
I like the photo and think there are quite a few juicy elements to it that would make for a good painting. If you decide to go ahead would you consider doing a WIP for us.
Thanks Katie.
I don't know how helpful that would be to anyone - imagine what New York would look like had King Kong wielded a paint brush - that's my WIP.

Also I'm leery of doing them because comments can take you off in tangents and you lose focus of what you set out to do. Since you've asked I will however document the progress with the iphone, and if there is still interest when I'm done, post them.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

I would be interested in seeing progress pictures if you are willing to share. I learn a lot from threads like this.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

He's walking against the red and the tow arrows. Possible title...."The Rebel"
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
He's walking against the red and the tow arrows. Possible title...."The Rebel"
... maybe it could be a series? here's another (Rebel#2?)from my dayz on the streets

I've started "the Rebel #1" and I'm making the traffic light and pedestrian 10% bigger. I'm moving the pedestrian more forward and to the left in the crosswalk with his back foot just exiting the shadow. It's amazing how much that improved the composition... and it's a spot I probably would not have considered had it not been for talk here about "center of interest". It does focus things and brings it all together(more).
Quote:
Trinduana
I would be interested in seeing progress pictures if you are willing to share. I learn a lot from threads like this.
Okay, due to overwhelming popular demand (2), I will be posting my WIP here. Hopefully, I will get some opinions on how I might improve my approach and technique.