WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 AM
East Molesey

Hails from United Kingdom
Landscape painting in Silhoette dilemma

Hi All
I would like to paint this church photographed in silhoette but I am not sure how I should handle the branch of the tree top of image? I don't know why I seem to be so attracted to scenes like this but I have struggled with this sort of composition before and would like to start knowing what I want to achieve rather than trying to "fix" it at a later date. Do I paint the leaves, branches in with almost black tones or should I try to grey it all down with no detail in the foreground? Any help would be most appreciated?
Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Re: Landscape painting in Silhoette dilemma

Pay no attention to the photo! Paint the story you want to tell using paint!

All good stories have a primary subject and supporting characters and scenes. Determine what's truly important, and make whatever else may be included as secondary.

A sketch book for small thumbnail sketches, exploring composition and values is an excellent tool for all of this. Figure all of this out before you pick up a brush!

As for the photos, the green shapes at the top of the photo help to create a sense of depth for the photo, but may be completely unnecessary given the strong dominant shape of the church spire (assuming that's what's important for your painting).

You have selected a strong and appealing subject to paint. Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM
East Molesey

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks so much Virgil. I started painting it and just had fun....I ended up scratching in the grasses with an old knitting needle! The scene was such a surprise as we walked towards the village. There was the sun shining down on the church and sleepy little village. I will post the finished painting when I have completed it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 05:00 PM

The sky is so beautiful that I wouldn't want to paint the leaves at all. Except maybe the leaves on the far right.