WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 10:48 PM

Re: Being consistent in your art style

An artist is not constrained by consistency of style ... unless they absolutely, positively ... need the money.

Take the case of Kinkade...

With 5 daughters and thus his need for serious income ... his kitschy country paintings supported his household.

However Kinkade also painted seascapes, landscapes and more. They just didn't sell nearly as well as his kitschy country paintings.

Now comes the good part ~

Kinkade came to hate that niche so much that he set up an assembly line to get those paintings done.

With interns/ apprentices doing most of the work ... he came along at the end - added a few flourishes and signed his name.

Now this happens if your paintings engender the kind of demand in the market place - that you find impossible to fulfull.

Most artists are all over the map with their work.

In short ... only the individual artist can actually answer this question for themselves.

Imagine the horrible future ~

Your art rep tells you - 'I have a pending contract for you - you will 'net' a million dollars.

The Company wants you to paint 300 pictures of dogs playing cards.

Because they know they can sell them.'

And the answer is ... some artists will and some won't.

It all comes down to personal choice ~ whether you have an animal mortgage, outrageous student debt ... or 'whatever.'

Best regards,
Picassolite

PS - Just speaking for myself - I would take the million dollars -
as long as I get could $200k - $300k up front ...
and paint whatever I want ... on the side!

And other artists would tell the rep ... 'thanks but no thanks.'

Why would I take the money ... because if you have an idea of what to do with it ...
consider ...

Amazon - 6-24-19 stock price= $1913/ share
in june 2006 stock price was $33.35/ share
$100k in 2006 would buy 2941 shares.
2019 those shares would be equal to $5,626,133.00

So ... the artist who is thinking 'outside' of the box ... always has an advantage over the artist who is narrowly focused.

Granted ... hindsight is always 20-20 ... but we live in an age where seminal, life changing discoveries are happening everyday.

Rembrandt died a pauper. Shakespeare did not.

Last edited by picassolite : 06-24-2019 at 10:58 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Being consistent in your art style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Use Her Name
Anyway, why limit yourself to a mere online Etsy shop or whatever.
Some people can make a living selling their art off Etsy. Other people have to hide behind a screen name and never ever show their art so no one even knows if they actually make any art, much less if they make a living with it. Or sell any of it. Ever.

I have seen one artist on this forum who does two different kinds of painting styles and subjects and sells them off the same site as well as galleries and makes a living from them. OTOH, I have seen plenty of artists who paint, for instance, a variety of landscapes, still lifes, and portraits and all have the same style, so there is consistency in that.

Me, I am still pushing myself in various ways. Right now, towards more abstraction, more brushwork, more color combinations. Whenever I finish a painting and put it on my site, I go over all the other paintings on there and usually remove one that does not seem to fit anymore. This has helped me see the direction I might be heading in--a consistency.

I don't think consistency is somehow anti-art or squashing the art instinct. I can certainly see its usefulness to galleries, whose mission is to sell, but I also see its usefulness to artists--to engage in something deeply, to explore it fully. Exploration and experimentation are great, but depth is IMO also great.