WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 AM
London, ON

Hails from Canada
Smile Pochade boxes and tripods

I'm soon to embark on my first overseas Plein Air workshop and I want to purchase a Pochade box. I have a photography tripod and would like to use this if it will work. does anyone have any ideas on a good quality Pochade box? I have been researching on the internet and locally I can purchase the Craftech Sienna Pochade box with a tempered glass palette. Probably the medium size is best but I'm not sure. Size and weight is important as it has to be packed in luggage but I also want quality. Reviews for the box are good but the Sienna Tripod reviews are not so great.

any tips would be appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Pochade boxes and tripods

If you're going to go Sienna style, take a look at the copied version, Soho, at Jerry's artarama.

There are many styles of pochade. Really depends upon how you paint. If what you want is really an easel and palette platform, there are less weighty ways to go. If what you want is a box that also carries supplies and is an easel, that's a different choice.

In all, a photo tripod version (which is what I use) has to cover these bases: 1) be sturdy at the height at which you paint; 2) have a strong enough head mechanism to withstand the weight of your box/easel and the pressure you will put on it as you paint the canvas. For many photo tripods you can replace the head and it's not terribly expensive to get a heavier duty one. For example, I had to replace the head on my Dolica with one that cost $30 and handles 20 kilos - truly sturdy.

Someone posted a great URL for a review of types and models/makes here on Plein Air forum.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2019, 11:13 AM

I am by no means as experience as most here but I do have the Sienna box and tripod etc and it is really well built and with all the accessories etc I carry it around in a simple backpack conveniently. It is nice and sturdy for such a lightweight set up. I wish I could offer you comparatives but the best I could say is I would certainly buy it again without hesitation.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:17 PM
London, ON

Hails from Canada

Thanks bartc - I will look for a heavier duty attachment for the tripod for sure. I was wondering about whether the one I have is sturdy enough. As for storage I don't really care about that but I do want to have a tempered glass palette surface and an easel to attach the painting support to. I could store my supplies in a separate art bin. I'm not sure where to find anything like that. so far the art supplies stores where I live seem to only carry heavier boxes similar to the portable French easel and that's just too much weight to travel with.

Thank you bobbybirds for the review of the Sienna box and tripod. I haven't checked one out yet but plan on going to have a look at both the tripod and the box soon.

I'll do a bit more research on other options as well. I appreciate your responses.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

The style you are seeking is most associated with oil painting. It's the easel palette on a tripod combo. That's the style that Sienna makes well, but for less expanse go over to Jerry's Artarama on the web for their Soho version (looks and works the same, but cheaper).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Lord of the Arts

If you are looking for the lightest and smallest setup you can get, you might consider a panel holding mast and a tripod shelf rather than a pochade box. My Sienna 11" x 13" OD box weighs 4 lbs 13 ounces. My smallest DIY compact / lightweight mast and tripod shelf palette weigh 2 lbs 5 ounces. That is 3 lbs 2 ounces lighter than the Sienna and I prefer the way the mast holds the panels vs the Sienna. The tripod shelf palette does not have any way to cover it up when it has wet paint on it, but I take my Masterson palette box with me for wet palette storage whether I am using the Sienna pochade box or the mast and shelf, so I am not including that or the tripod setup in the weight total.

More details in this thread of mine on WC:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...highlight=mast
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM
London, ON

Hails from Canada

thank you all - this is a great help. I was checking out the EasyL boxes and they look good except with the exchange on the dollar a bit pricey. I would be ordering from Canada. I'll look up the Soho and Jerry's Artarama mentioned by bartc.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast
BC

Hails from Canada

Medium sized u.go
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ramah NM & Campobello Island, Canada

The key thing to remember about tripods: If it has a plastic head, no amount of tightening will keep it from wobbling! You'll want a tripod with a metal head. As for a box, I like the Daytripper from Prolific Painter (www.prolificpainter.com) and also the Open Box M (www.openboxm.com). Both of these are light setups.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Hi...Can I recommend looking at the LederEasel as a lightweight compact travel kit for Plein air? It's not a pochade box but it holds both your canvas and palette.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM
London, ON

Hails from Canada
Smile Re: Pochade boxes and tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by edathome
Hi...Can I recommend looking at the LederEasel as a lightweight compact travel kit for Plein air? It's not a pochade box but it holds both your canvas and palette.

This sounds like a great option but I'll have to look at this for later as I ended up buying an EasyL Lite Pochade Box and an Optex Pan Head photographic tripod that seems really sturdy and light and works with the box well. The box has a lot of good features like the metal brush holder and extra hooks to hang a solvent can and easily holds the sizes of wet panels I will be working on in the back section. I also bought the side tray which may end up being a waste of money but I'll find out. At least it will be a spot to set down my palette knives. I feel pretty confident this setup will work out at least for my first big trip overseas. Oh and I bought the EasyL umbrella too. it seems great and I may or may not need it but it also works well with the tripod. I have done a couple of local Plein Air workshops but used only a cheap aluminum Heritage easel (which blew over a couple of times) and a hand held palette. This new setup will work far better and as I've learned from all the other posts and reviews I'll definitely look at the other suggestions especially this one for the LederEasel for the future. Thanks again for all the responses. I really appreciate all the tips from more experienced Plein Air artists! I'll let you know how it goes...