WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Work light over easel brightness level?

I just did a small study in oil and thought it looked pretty good...until the next day looking at it on the wall. It's very dark. That led me to re evaluate the amount of light I have on my painting as I paint. Is there any sort of standard that makes sense? I have to assume that most paintings are viewed under "normal" household lighting and the way most of my paintings are coming out, I think they look too dark unless there's sufficient light on them. If my goal is to sell my work, should I paint for "gallery" lighting or should I tone down the light above my easel and paint "lighter"?

I should mention that I paint small..usually 12x12 or smaller. My easel is a Mabef table easel and I have a light on a gooseneck clamped above it. It's an LED light with three light settings-Low, medium, high. I use the low setting and I think I still need to cut it back some.

Thanks
Steve
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Work light over easel brightness level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerhill
I have to assume that most paintings are viewed under "normal" household lighting and the way most of my paintings are coming out, I think they look too dark unless there's sufficient light on them. If my goal is to sell my work, should I paint for "gallery" lighting or should I tone down the light above my easel and paint "lighter"?
Steve
This is a good question, something I'm trying to figure out. I am now doing a series of urban night paintings, and they look good on the easel, disappear on the wall, and "blow-out" when taken outdoors in bright light.

I have recently dropped the intensity of the lighting on my easel. Somehow I use to have the idea that the easel needed to be blasted with light. I think my house lighting is lower than most, which could be part of the problem -

The problem happens most when the painting consists of mostly dark colors. Also if your painting consists of dark colors and you have a gloss finish, it will turn into a mirror.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

paint in the most wretched lighting possible
because that's where people will be hanging it

or so i've been told

post a pic? i'd like to visualize what you're talking about.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

okay i took a couple of cell phone snaps

this under open shade outside

this indoors with a bright light source. Where I use to have this hanging there was a big window in the next room and it turned the painting a shiney black.
But this pic will hopefully give you an idea of the problems.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

yeah, 'black' pieces are probably more problematic than any other ... and acrylic tends to shine more than oils ... can't control the ever moving sun tho, so finding the right place to hang is probably key there.

hard, also, to control the lighting of wherever an artwork ends up.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

My philosophy is, Iím ďgodĒ when it comes to my paintings. I see all and I know all. None of the people who view my paintings will ever see them as I do. I use magnifying lenses often, and I want the brightest light and best visibility I can achieve. Nothing says you canít turn the light down and step back for a look - you must do so frequently, or miss the forest for the trees. But when Iím adding something to my world on the canvas, I need to see what Iím doing.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

I was looking at the outdoor phone snap I took, and thought "I don't remember painting it like that?" Then I realized the part in question is my reflection when I took the photo. The painting - even in open shade is THAT reflective.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:29 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

acrylics? or did you glaze it with something?

la
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

It's acrylic with a thin coat of 2 part resin pour on top. I forgot about that.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

hahaha
display away from a window
add a candle for lighting

la
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

This painting is in my "archive" not to see wall space anytime soon. I have three or four paintings that I treated with one coat of 2part acrylic - I love the look - but you really are limited where you can hang them. I forgot all about them. I drugged this one out wanting to look at all my night paintings since I'm on a night-time binge at the moment.

I'm thinking of using gell-medium as a final coat in place of varnish. Putting high-gloss on all the lights and reflections and matt on the rest.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

cool ... do you use real black or mix it ?- there's many different delicious ways to build 'black', burnt umber/ultra blue (more matt) ... pthalo green/burnt sienna (a little shinier), et al et al

la
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
cool ... do you use real black or mix it ?- there's many different delicious ways to build 'black', burnt umber/ultra blue (more matt) ... pthalo green/burnt sienna (a little shinier), et al et alla
I mix. The painting I'm working on now has a "black" even Rothko would be proud of.

I gessoed a panel then toned it with alizarin crimson straight from the jar, no dilution. Then put on a glaze on phthalo green b.s. followed by a glaze of
1 part dioxazine purple/ 3(or 4?) parts paynes grey.

Now I'm in search of a pre-dawn sky color- where street lights are on, the sun still below the horizon, and daylight just emerging.

Last edited by theBongolian : 06-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.