Home Forums Explore Media Clay Eco-friendly Painting and Waterproofing of Unfired Clay

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hkval

I would like to use unfired ceramic for an outdoor installation. I am wondering how to paint it and seal it in order to make it waterproof. Any recommendations? The installation is not permanent but has to last a few month and I would like the clay to eventually biodegrade in (a long) time. My preference would be to use non toxic paints/liquid. Many thanks!

What sort of climate will it be in?

I’ve never tried this stuff but it is non toxic. It says it seals concrete for 15 years, it might work on clay but I’m not sure about that. Green Building Supply, penetrating sealer. (click link)

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

hkval

What sort of climate will it be in?

I’ve never tried this stuff but it is non toxic. It says it seals concrete for 15 years, it might work on clay but I’m not sure about that. [URL=https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Paints-Coatings-Concrete-Masonry-Sealers/Green-Building-Supply-Penetrating-Concrete-Sealer]Green Building Supply, penetrating sealer. (click link)[/URL]

Thank you for the suggestion – I will investigate.

The people who commissioned the installation just recommended me to fire the clay once to make it less fragile, and then apply paint and sealer. Does that sound right? I am a total beginner (they know that but this is part of a bigger project). It’s an installation of body parts and the finishing should somehow resemble skin.

It has to stand both humid and dry climate as the cities would be Milan and Hong Kong

Many thanks again for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.