Home Forums The Learning Center Student’s Dorm alternative degrees majors to an art major

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sossity

this is sort of a continuation of my other thread about art majors, I have been thinking about getting a day job for a steady paycheck, and if I dont major in art, what would be a good more marketable major?

my school has others, but what ever it is it cant involve alot of complex math, this was a bad subject for me, and I would not want to be in a position of great responsibility that involved math.

I am starting the semester tomorrow, and I have to decide on some classes, and eventually settle on a major.

I have a literatuure class, and an education class, that is required before I can even get into a credential program. I have to go around schools and observe, log in observation hours, this is sort of an introductory class to teaching to be sure if a student wants to be a teacher.

are there any artists out here who have had alternative majors and careers, what did you do?

DigitalEchoes

Hi Sossity, I hope you’ve settled your class selection!

I am brand new on these forums, but I am finishing my last semester at Sheridan College in Ontario, Canada, after working at a career in the finance sector and waiting over a decade to go back to school.

I think the most pertinent personal advice I can offer is for you to go to school for something that you are genuinely interested in. Like many people, I grew up with the, “artists starve, lawyers drive big cars” attitude from family, and so I worked very hard to build myself into having a “respectable” job. While my previous career has given me valuable insight and life lessons, I can’t hit the rewind button to get that time back, and now I am essentially starting from the bottom again.

I don’t want to deter you from whatever educational path you are setting yourself, or tell you what’s my opinion of a good or bad career (like it matters because you don’t know me from Adam,) but if you’re investing all that time and money in a formal education, I would really encourage you to think of what is *really* important to your own personal values and sense of satisfaction, be that money, travel, knowledge, influence, etc.. There is no wrong answer – only you can know what you feel most strongly about.

… I guess it sounds like I am trying to influence you to not be influenced by anyone else in your career choices, eh? Sorry! This is just my two (or twenty-five) cents.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors :)

I remember from your other thread that you were interested in gardening and nature. Have you thought about applying for a job at a nursery just to get some day job experience and a paycheck going while you are going to school?

I know you don’t like math, but just to answer your question – personally – I did the books for a florist shop for about a year. I also organized their whole managerial department (made sure their files were in order, staff scheduling, pay scales, and helped the owners with some of their personal life too). It wasn’t artistic, but I made a regular paycheck and got to drive their company car.

I’ve had countless jobs really. I couldn’t even list them all, but truthfully most jobs will train you while you begin the job and then increase your pay after the first 90 days once you get the hang of it.

I know I’ve given you advice before on other threads and have leaned towards encouraging you to major in the arts, but that is only because you are interested in drawing and painting (and other artistic endeavors in the arts) and I have never known anyone that has been financially successful that wasn’t happy with what they were doing with their day to day job. You really have to do something you like or it will inevitably fail. So no math for you! :lol:

Go with your interests, or, like DigitalEchoes mentioned, you might be back years later redoing the whole shebang because you are not happy with the degree you wound up with.

I highly suggest you keep doing writing classes along with art classes because in any job you do, writing skills will do you well no matter what, even in art. You will have a leg up in fact. Artists need to write proposals, give presentations, and apply for grants all the time and need to be able to write clearly within specific guidelines, and it’s not always easy. Written communication skills – and even verbal communication skills – in the job market are key.

What is the literature class and education class that you have to take before you can get into the credential program? Do you have a choice or is it specific?

If you do in fact want to be a teacher – like on a college level and you are going for your MFA, that will pay pretty good when you get tenure, or even before. You’ll have a lot of options. I could give you a ton of examples of friends I have with MFAs that have tenure and do not, have jobs at universities, and do not. Some have a few classes at a couple different schools and get enough money to live and keep up their art practice and sell their work, so teaching subsidizes their art career. There are many options.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.