Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Tempered Glass Palette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

I saw it on the shelf at Hobby Lobby and in the next instant it was in my cart. How did that happen? I didn’t go in there for a palette – especially not a $40 palette. I went in there for a canvas that I decided not to buy. But this was not a case of money burning a hole in my pocket! NO Sireee. I’ve been using a glass palette pretty much from the start – which is rather recent. But I don’t like paper, wood or plastic palettes (does anyone?) so I tried using the glass from a picture frame when I saw it on YouTube. Then I made a few glass palettes from picture frames. For me they’re perfect palettes. Smooth as glass (for some reason) and they clean up with ease. And they break.
        This is tempered glass – not unbreakable but very tough, with “softened” edges and padded corners. Tinted neutral gray, and fits perfectly in my Masterson palette box I later realized is by design.
        Oh, and I hope everyone knows if you download the Hobby Lobby store app, you can access their “weekly” coupon of 40% off any non sale item – and you can use it every day I just found out. So anyway the $40 palette cost me $24 and I can’t wait to try her out (I say like it’s a new car).

DK4242

Is that a Masterson palette box that it found for a home?

MarcF

Yes it is! And I didn’t even realize how good the fit would be when I bought it. When I got it home I looked at the label closely and I saw the Masterson box pictured and it just slid in there like a gopher into a hole.

Dcam

A great find Mark and a great fit.
                    If you don’t mind, I’d like to include my palette find as well.
                    For free….two 2×2 foot ceramic high gloss tiles that clean up as well as glass.
                    one white and one gray. If you shop at home depot or lowes you can find all kinds and sizes of these high gloss tiles (only get the super smooth). and you can purchase just one cheap.

I got those big tiles at my local tile shop. I introduced myself as a NJ artist and inquired about buying a tile. The owner gave me two for free.
                    I clean the tile by spraying a heavy duty citrus degrease spray, let it sit for a few minutes and then use a scraper to ease off either oils or acrylics. The paint blobs just slide off. Then, water and paper towel.

MarcF

Beautiful. That’s a size I could work with. Very nice indeed!

Dcam
                            bongo

Mark you got a good deal, especially since you use the masterson palette. Tempered glass has gotten very expensive.

I was lucky to find an old microwave tray at a thrift store. It’s quite thick and good size -14.5″x15.5″. I like the curved lip, it keeps washes from washing off, and is good place to shape brushes.

I paint with acrylics and by the time I’m ready to clean the palette the paint is pretty well baked on. I found putting it in the sink and running some water over it loosens the paint and can then be easily scrapped off..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                STUDIOBONGO

contumacious

I actually prefer a hardwood palette to any other material, but I beat them up pretty fast with the way I used my tempered steel palette knives.

None of the local shops carry those large white tiles. I would like to try one on my big palette table that is currently covered with the free sheet of tempered glass from an old oven door. My guess is the tiles are more chip and scratch resistant than tempered glass.

This has been the best deal I have found for tempered glass to fit the biggest Masterson palette box. $5 each shipped in 4 packs.

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Chef-Shatter-Resistant-Resistant-Dishwasher/dp/B01B3G4UMS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=tempered+glass+cutting+board&qid=1566020071&s=gateway&sr=8-8

They are smooth on both sides so you can turn them over when the tops get scratched. I have never had one break.

marksmomagain

I use all manner of palettes. My favorites are big tiles and wooden. But I can make use of pretty much any other type..
                                        For glass tempered cutting boards, they are everywhere from Walmart to the dollar store at roughly $4 each. I have two of the Nuwaves, clearanced at Hobby Lobby for $6.95 each. A few years back, I came across a stack of 2×2 tiles in the shed… Mostly dark brown but four white. I made a wood frame for one for a palette. It works great and super nice to clean up.

WFMartin

But I don’t like paper, wood or plastic palettes (does anyone?)

Yeah, ….I really do!:)

My reason for liking a wooden palette is that I have found that it feels terribly inconvenient for me to mix my paint at waist level. I simply have to have a palette in my hand for dealing with paint, because I like to have that operation closer to my face than a waist-level palette provides.

I like the idea of glass, though, because of the ease of cleaning it, but a glass palette is very heavy when held in the hand.

I don’t like paper, or plastic, particularly for a palette, but glass just isn’t for me, either. Too heavy, and can’t hold it in my hand.

If I did favor glass palettes, I’d say you got a rather good deal on that one, though. :thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

MarcF

I keep my palette pretty high – on a stack of rolling drawers I bought cheaply at Michaels. I put all my paint and a lot of material in the cart – easy to roll around.
                                                I don’t paint with a pallet in my hand. I need my hands as free as possible the way I paint – I might have a pallet knife with the color I’m using – that’s my hand held pallet.
                                                Everyone has their methods – the more I paint the more ways to do things I discover. Funny now I’m liking the pallet paper which is the same size as the glass pallet. I use them both – I run out of room so fast, and I hate when my colors contaminate each other which is always unless I use several pallets.
                                                This picture was taken before I got the tempered glass palette – these glass palettes have all broken. But the top is high enough and I’m low down enough (in other words short) that the palette is close enough to my eyes.

Mike L

Tempered glass display shelves tend to be less expensive than tempered glass artist-anything. Markup is, generally, lower because more shelves are sold than pallets.

Store Supply dot com has a good selection at excellent prices. There are other online stores, but I use this one because they are about five miles from me so I don’t pay shipping and I can walk into the showroom and pick it up same day.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Dcam

I don’t have to put any gray or white paper under (or paint the bottom) of my tiles.: Free or very cheap and they come in gray and white.
                                                        As slick and washable as glass.

bongo

I forgot the guy’s name but he puts a photo of whatever he’s working on under the glass then he can compare his mix with the photo right there (under) the palette.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                            STUDIOBONGO

vandogh

I was able to find some tempered glass “palettes” at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. They were from shelving and tables, and seller just wanted rid of them. 2 21 x 23″ pallets for $1.00. I should have bought more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.