Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Autumn in the Big Bend National Park

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Way down there in south west Texas. I was on an outing with about 60 members of the Outdoor Painters Society. The place is so big that only at dinner did I ever see more than 2 other painters. One of which was the Wet Canvas artist “Cedarita” and her husband. Anyhow… Too much art to show it all… I was trying out ideas for watercolors on panels hoping to find a way to avoid buckling when far from a hair drier. I used several approaches. Anyhow, this is “Santa Elena canyon, III”… on a 16×20 inch (41x51CM) panel made by glueing a 140CP (not) watercolor paper to masonite.

Here is “Sierra Del Carmens” a mixed media thing… watercolors, pens, markers and acrylics on 12×16 inch (30.5x41CM) Ampensand Claybord.

Then I did “Luna’s Jacal” with Micron pens on Langton 140 CP (not) on 12×16 (30.5x41CM) watercolor paper. I anticipated making this a pen & wash thing but have not and probably won’t.

This is on a tough dirt road and was the home of a man who reportedly lived to be 108 after raising a family in this hut.
    Then I did “Boquillas canyon”. It is on a 12×16 inch (30.5x41CM) Ampersand Claybord Textured. I had to wade in the Reo Grand up to my knees. Here is the set up… note the back pack. It had to be used for almost all the art I did in Big Bend.

and the painting

And here is “Santa Elena Canyon… from the boat ramp trail” on a 12x16inch (30.5X41CM) Ampersand Aquabord. Watercolors and a bit of scratching.

When I left Big Bend I looked in on Palo Duro State park but did not paint there. I spent several days researching another art project around Hays, Kansas before getting home just in time for Thanksgiving. Here is a piece from Kansas “Hargrave” on 12×12 inch (30.5×30.5CM) Arches 140 CP (not) taped onto a sheet of plexiglass.

So… 3,367 miles (5,419KM) driving, 12 nights in motels and I brought home 18 pieces having given one to a park ranger and his wife.

As for Big Bend N.P.: I’d go back. I really would love to go back there! A Fantastic place to paint.

As for the panels… paper on masonite is cheapest but takes a lot of time to make up. paper on wood panels worked well also but is bit more costly. The various bought Ampersand panels were the most costly and their clay surfaces could be either a benefit or a barrier.

So, have fun, I sure am. Comments welcome.

Dave

Cedarita2

<p style=”text-align: left;”>If I post, will I be able to see the last page?</p>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.