Home Forums Explore Subjects Wearable Art necklace repair?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stellastella

Hello all,

A friend of mine gave me this necklace to fix. They would like the extensions taken off and just have the two ends of the collar joined by the clasp (hope that makes sense). I did an attempt by just attaching chain and clasp to the collar, but it’s not as neat as I would like.

I don’t know what stitch this is made out of, but hoping someone here can tell me: if I cut the end of the extension, will the whole thing unravel?! Or is there a chance I can cut the extension and pull the beads off of it, then have all of that string length left to weave back into the collar to finish it off?

Hopefully that’s clear. Photos attached to try and help out.

Thanks in advance!

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/20-May-2019/2007806-20190520_111623.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmm. I kind of think you’ll be okay cutting the end but I’m not sure.

I’ve sent a pm to a member who beads to see if she can help.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

Ellen E

This looks like a net stitch to me. You can’t just cut the extensions off, though, because within a short amount of time, the work would just gradually fall apart. The safest thing to do would be to go to a website where you can find a diagram of how the thread was used to make the piece. Pinterest has examples if you do Pinterest. Do a search for net stitch. I have some examples if you can’t find some. It doesn’t have to be the same exact pattern—just the general directions will do.

Then, having done that, you’ll need to follow the diagram for the first couple or three rows at least, running a new thread through all the beads and then making secure endings on each side. Once you’ve done that, then you can safely but extremely carefully snip out the threads on the extensions to remove those. Be very sure not to clip anything in the body of the necklace that you or the original beader put there. You’ll still have those loose ends from where you’ve taken off the extensions, but they won’t cause a problem because you’ve gone far enough back through the work to keep them from working loose. Over time, you might find that a thread or two might work loose, but just snip it off carefully next to the work and you should be fine.

Ellen E

By the way, the extensions look like they’re done with one drop peyote stitch or maybe brick stitch. That doesn’t matter, though, when removing them.

It might be possible to just clip those off without all the work since the work might have been tied off and then the extension work fastened on separately, but I wouldn’t even take a chance on it.

I call it “thread” but what the piece might be worked with is a very, very fine filament similar to fishing line but almost as thin as spiderweb. That would be the best thing to work it with and you’ll be lucky if that’s what was used. If it’s thread, it will gradually wear through. Glass beads have sharp edges and the movement of them across the threads cuts the threads after awhile.

My advice is to use the very, very fine filament on the rows you reinforce. Going through the entire necklace pattern would be a way to make it very durable for the long term, but that’s a lot of work and you might not want to do that much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.