Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Materials what to do about pastel dust?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    soap

Pastelists, do you really al use masks when working with pastel?
        I am a bit confused about all the info on the possible dangers of pastel dust, but working with an uncomfortable mask does not seem appealing. Tilting the easel forward is not very practical either, because it blocks the light.
        OK, so I won’t blow at my pastels anymore, but do I need to take more precautions? I still blend everything with my fingers, and would not want to wear gloves!

Thanks guys,
        Soap

Taminka

Soap – I felt as you do at first, but after my hands started peeling, I decided I had to do something.

I now wear a cotton glove, covered with a latex one on my right hand. I’m now quite used to it and blend happily with my fingers. The latex gloves wipe clean with wet-ones or a damp cloth.

It took a bit of getting used to, but I’m OK with it now.

I don’t wear a mask – fogs up my glasses – but am careful not to blow dust off inside.

Mink

meowmeow

I am so glad you asked this, Soap! I so far am not using a mask or anything either but am tying to be careful.
                I am not a full time artist. I don’t even always work every day so somehow I have convinced myself it is safe. Hmmmmm….
                I do keep a container of those wet wipe thingies nearby and wipe my fingers frequently. I don;’t do a lot of blending anymore anyhow and don’t blow anymore either. I hold the paper away and tap the back.
                But I suspect it is not as safe as I have convinced myself.
                I am curious how many people do actually use masks and gloves though. Hopefully we will get a lot of responses here.

Sandy

Nodosaurus

I’ve never heard of hand problems.

Could you elaborate on the issue? How do you use your hands that causes it?

I like to move the pastel around with my fingers. Even on sanded papers, I’m wondering if that will cause a problem in the long run.

I also hear a lot of mixed comments on the health risk of pastel dust in the lungs. I do paleo work, there is evidence or health issue when rock dust getting in your lungs. But that doesn’t stop most people from working without protection, me inclued. But some measures can be easy to take if warranted.

Curiously,
                    Randy

"Warning, half the things I write are a joke, the other half are not fully thought out" - Or is it the other way around? :confused:

-Randy

Taminka

Randy -i found after my first few weeks of pastels my hands were getting drier and drier. I was doing lots of finger blending thats all, but hand cream after didnt seem to be helping.

I figured, as I was really hooked on the medium, I’d better solve the problem fast.

Latex gloves made my hands sweat, but the cotton glove under helps that.

I know it sounds very cumbersome, but I really got used to it and after a few minutes I forget. I only use the gloves on one hand. Also stops any grease from fingers getting onto the work.

Can’t come at the mask, but take my work outside every 1/2 hour or so and get rid of loose dust.

Cheers, Minky

Gaka

Hi everyone

Just my 2 bits of nothing, I have worked in fibreglass dust, thinners, turps, acids, motor and spray paint fumes, fertilizers, all art materials etc etc and I have not had a problem and do not have any allergic reactions “yet”. But then again I could drop dead tomorrow from them!!!:D There are not many things in the world that are 100% safe and the proper precautions should be taken with anything and everything that we do and use. whether we do take these precautions are based on our own concerns, knowledge and safety issues.

We probably take all of the art materials that we use for granted to be safe to use with our hands and to breath their fumes etc. The only way to know if there is a problem with these materials is when you have an allergic reaction to it or you have a physical complication from them, I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on the contents of all art materials and their safety factor. If you knew their total contents you may be able to make some choice as to how you use them or if you were allergic to some of the contents. Other than that if you are concerned err on the side of precaution, safety is best for you, Take care.

Gaka

Nodosaurus

There is a group (federal I think??) that does study the safety of art materials, among others. I’ve been to their web site, it was very good. But that was a long time ago and I can’t remember the URL, otherwise I wouldn’t be asking questions here. :( Maybe someone else knows of it??

If I find it, I’ll post it. I had forgotten all about it until I came across this thread.

"Warning, half the things I write are a joke, the other half are not fully thought out" - Or is it the other way around? :confused:

-Randy

meowmeow

Here is a link to the thread that had the link to the Schmincke site with some information.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12909

I know from reading that there are some hazards, certainly. I guess I wondered how many people actually do use masks and gloves.
                                    This thread is good.

Sandy

I have heard these warnings about pastel dust and here is a list of stuff I do.

1) yes I do blend with my fingers but not all the time

2) I blend with Pastel shapers

3) I play with lumps of blu_tack and use this to blend or drag the pastel.

4) I knock the back of the board regularly and have a small lip on my desk easel which catches the dust. I use a rechargeable vacuum cleaner to suck it up.

5) I wash my hands regularly while working using Aloe Vera soap.

6) If I break off for an hour or finish for the day I wack Gardeners Hand Cream on.

7) Occassinally I blow the pastel dust but always regret it afterwards.

'It is better to be bold than too circumspect, because fortune is of a sex which likes not a tardy wooer and repulses all who are not ardent.'
                                    (Machiavelli)

soap

hmm, interesting replies sofar…
                                        I am glad to find that, just like me, most of us do blend with our fingers, and do not wear horrible masks. I do all the things I’m not supposed to, but do try to keep it at a minimum. After a whole day working with pastels (and occasionally blowing at my work) I feel a bit ‘dusty’, so I regret not taking more breaks in the fresh air….but I simply cannot work if I have to worry about these things all the time.

I guess I am just happy being ignorant of all the real hazards…

(oh, and no, I don’t have any problems with ‘peeling’ hands either – maybe I haven’t got such feminine hands….sigh :p )
                                        Soap

Shari

I was also very worried about the dust. I can’t afford to have dried out hands either as I am an esthetician and do facials all day long, so I now use latex gloves on my hands and I am quite used to it. Sometimes the fingertips get in the way (I have small hands) so I am constantly pushing the fingertips down onto my fingers, but other than that they work great. I also invested in a very good HEPA filter for my art room. I keep it going at a high level when I am working on a painting and have to clean the prefilter every 5-6 months. I got my hepa filter at Costco and it is made by the Hunter Company and is very good. Hope this helps.

Shari

Shari
                                            www.etsy.com/shop/shariarts

Gaka

Hi Everyone

I was wandering around the Library Today and I came across a great book relating to the dangers of all different types of art materials, gases, pigments etc etc.

Its name is “Artists Beware” The hazards in working with all art and craft materials and the precautions every artist and photographer should take. ISBN-55821-175-6 Michael McCann

Listed below is the main headings and sub headings. It may be of great interest to those who are concerened about their safety and the chemical compounds that are in their art materials etc.

ie; Part 1…Chemical and physical hazards

Part 2…Art and craft techniques
                                                Painting and drawing (all types)
                                                Printmaking
                                                Ceramics
                                                Photography
                                                Sculpture
                                                Woodworking
                                                Metalworking
                                                Jewelery and enamelling
                                                Glass arts
                                                Textile arts
                                                Other arts and crafts
                                                Modern technology in art
                                                Commercial art
                                                Children and art materials

Seeya…Gaka

I suffer from allergies. It was only yesterday that I saw an alergologist. I told him that I do paintings in pastel, and asked him, whether the pastel dust could be harmful. He said it is not an allergy producing element, but an irritant, and not harmful. The dry hands come from constantly washing the hand to clear it of the pastel dust. Just wash the hand in cold water and wipe it. Do not use soap and hotwater. A pastellist told me that the natural oil of the finger helps the pastel powder to settle on the paper, and serves as a fixative as well…..

Charles

CarlyHardy

Almost all of my pastel work in done plein air….so I don’t worry much about the dust. I don’t blow the work…but just thump it on my easel ledge to dislodge loose particles. I blend with my fingertips…and most of the time I’m arriving home before the hands get a good washing. But I’ve not noticed that my hands are drier than before. I use Udderly Smooth all the time…it will work if you use it before painting also. Dries greaseless.

One tip for keeping the dust out of the air when you do work indoors. I keep a mister filled with water by my kitchen sink….just mist into the air all around the room where you have dust and it will disappear as the mist falls to the floor. It doesn’t get anything wet…its too fine for that. Just don’t mist your work!

I mist my entire house about twice a week in the winter…really helps with the drying heat.
                                                    carly

[i]Originally posted by CHClements [/i]
                                                    [B]Almost all of my pastel work in done plein air….so I don’t worry much about the dust. I don’t blow the work…but just thump it on my easel ledge to dislodge loose particles. I blend with my fingertips…and most of the time I’m arriving home before the hands get a good washing. But I’ve not noticed that my hands are drier than before. I use Udderly Smooth all the time…it will work if you use it before painting also. Dries greaseless.

One tip for keeping the dust out of the air when you do work indoors. I keep a mister filled with water by my kitchen sink….just mist into the air all around the room where you have dust and it will disappear as the mist falls to the floor. It doesn’t get anything wet…its too fine for that. Just don’t mist your work!

I mist my entire house about twice a week in the winter…really helps with the drying heat.
                                                    carly [/B]

Great idea Carly – misting is not only good for the pastel dust settling in the house, but great for the plants and ‘us peoples’ too!;) I’ll have to pick one up…

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. -Pablo Picasso

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.